Old Symphony X Bach BWV 1052 concerto recording...

I wouldn't want those other two to be with him... especially Satch; bores the hell out of me.
Hmmm... just throwing this out there: Romeo, Akerfeldt, and John Mitchell.

I like Satch a lot, but I will say that his stuff is more background music to me; as an active listener it can occasionally get dull. Never liked Vai.

Akerfeldt is an interesting choice, but I seriously doubt he would fit. In my experience, people go to G3 to see some crazy shredding and advanced techniques. Mikael's not really the guitar virtuoso type, although I admit that I would enjoy seeing him. His stuff is much more about mood and feel than anything else.

I think Romeo is better because he nails it live, Petrucci is more a studio rec guy and tend to comit more mistakes and bad improvising overall.

I love MJR's playing, but on many occasions he does not "nail it" live. At pretty much every show I've been to, he's messed up something (not minor stuff, either). I'm not complaining - that stuff is next to impossible to play - but even MJR isn't perfect.

I like Satch a lot, but I will say that his stuff is more background music to me; as an active listener it can occasionally get dull. Never liked Vai.

Akerfeldt is an interesting choice, but I seriously doubt he would fit. In my experience, people go to G3 to see some crazy shredding and advanced techniques. Mikael's not really the guitar virtuoso type, although I admit that I would enjoy seeing him. His stuff is much more about mood and feel than anything else.

I've been to over 200 shows in my life and Steve Vai's set at G3 is the best single set I have seen by anyone, ever.

I don't think Mikael would fit with the G3 crowd either. He is as talented as anyone else, just different. Although I too would like to see him solo.

Akerfeldt doesn't fit at all... but I'd still rather see him play.

Satch plays extremely simple stuff... it just comes off as complicated/tough to n00bs (This isn't a reason to dislike him, I'm just stating my opinion).

I love MJR's playing, but on many occasions he does not "nail it" live. At pretty much every show I've been to, he's messed up something (not minor stuff, either). I'm not complaining - that stuff is next to impossible to play - but even MJR isn't perfect.

Hmmm when I said he "nails", I meant even when he doesn't play exactly the same as the album recording, it's impressive what he makes up for it. Romeo probably could improvise half the solos on a show and it would sound badass.

I've never heard him play something as shitty as the "john and teresa solo spot" on Live Scenes from a Memory. I felt bad for petrucci when I 1st heard that and it's amazing that piece of junk got to the record.

Live scenes btw is full of Petrucci's sloppy fills when he can't pull his stuff correctly (Fatal tragedy i'm looking at you!), and just to stick to live recordings, Romeo's random stuff on Live on the edge of Forever is just o_O

And seeing them both live a couple of times (also JP on G3), Romeo's playing flows much better, it looks like he's "handling a girl", Petrucci looks like he's handling his "organ" like some cyborg programmed to "play".

Especially on G3, petrucci isn't quite the showman with lots of feel and emotion like Satch and Vai. Even if G3 is not Romeo's thing, it would bee a damn good publicity and it wouldn't be as boring as Yngwie

Yes, Petrucci's playing is quite sloppy on that live album, but I also see where Detective is coming from.
When I saw SX live, Romeo made a lot of errors (and I don't mean he decided to play something different than the studio album).
Errors are expected, so they barely bother me in most cases.

I'm actually shocked at how little drummers seem to make mistakes live. I make mistakes all the time when I'm playing on my own.

^Unfortunately, I doubt a lot of people really notice because they're paying attention to guitars and vocals.