Losing My Symphony X Virginity

DoomsdayZach said:
Paradise. You wrote this:

Dice.GIF

sorry, i don't know how to read....:erk:

Metalman7983 said:
My story sounds the most unique I found them by accident I was browsing through bands on powertabs.net and saw Symphony X and was like hmmm what is that so I just picked a song at random so I picked Sea of lies and it was only the guitar line and I was thinking holy shit this is awesome then I thought ohh shit I hope the singer doesn't suck ass. Then I downloaded Sea of lies, Inferno and Evolution it was about 2002 and of course I thought the singer was freakin awesome and of course Russell is we all know that.

Then I decided to burn those songs on a CD and bring with me to my college theory class where there was a bunch of metal head guys who always brought in music before class to listen to so I was like ohh I bet they haven't heard this and then we jammed Evolution full blast and hella people starting walking into class like holy shit this is freakin awesome beside me only one other dude ever heard Symphony X.

So in the end my whole theory class kind of lost their SX virginity heh.:headbang:

And now I own all their albums including MJR solo record and seen them at gigantour and also got a MJR picked and met the guys afterwards and a shirt I will never wash again and is now framed on my wall!
I think it's about time you lost your punctuation virginity :D

Around mid 1997, I was still finding out about prog metal bands as Dream Theater had became my fave band 2 years earlier. Before I knew about music-by-mail order companies or went on the internet, I had got into Rush and a few other bands that are usually connected with prog, but have had a bit of success down the years. Queensryche, King's X and Marillion are some others. I did find a Magellan album (Test of Wills) in a high street store so bought that, then once I found out about music by mail through an old friend who just happened to like Shadow Gallery, my life changed. I bought the first 2 Shadow Gallery and 2 Magellan albums first, then went on to test the waters by small reviews in these MBM catalogues or by asking the sellers advice on popular prog metal bands. I think I bought The Divine Wings of Tragedy not long after all this, but I had mixed feelings at first. It was heavy alright, I just didn't get it except Out of the Ashes and Of Sins And Shadows. Back then they didn't sound like anything I had heard up to that point, I wouldn't even have said they were anything like DT except the keyboard solos! It must have been the tail end of 1997 that it clicked as The Accolade and Candlelight Fantasia blew me away, and the rest is history.

Symphony X are my 2nd fave band behind Dream Theater, 3rd being Rush then Iron Maiden, Paradise Lost and Threshold.

4 and a half years ago, I came across them by accident. Heard The Odyssey, and Absence of Light. But never really paid much attention (having tons of problems at the time).

Once I got sorted out about a month or 2 later I got back online and ordered The Odyssey album online. Since then, I have all the Symphony X discog (apart from the first one!) and anxiously awaiting the new 'un :)

...and now I'm driving the girlfriend mad ('cuz she don't really like metal :( buy hey!) so I'm working on it ;)

I was looking at random shred videos. I came across The Guitar Chapter.....needless to say, I was hooked.

after listening to a lot of Dream Theater and Opeth, I decided I wanted some more prog and my friend sent me "The Odyssey"

I had just gotten into my first three non-MTV metal bands - Rhapsody, Dream Theater, and Yngwie. I always wanted a band that played prog, power, and neoclassical stuff.

So I'm perusing the John Petrucci forum one day, and some guy (whoever he is, I'm forever thankful) posted a random SX appreciation thread. He mentioned "Smoke and Mirrors" and "Evolution." I downloaded both, and as soon as I heard the intro to "Smoke and Mirrors" I knew I had found my favorite band. I downloaded as much as I could find. I went to their site, I think it was like the day after the Odyssey came out. Soon I got all their albums - I don't think I bought any other bands' CDs until I had all the Symphony X.