The first time I listened to Symphony X

Alright, I was thinking about how I found out the band exists and when I heard Symphony X for the very first time.

I always went to a metallica chatroom and I met some friends there.
A little while ago (I think an half year ago or something) I found out one of them listens to SyX and I never heard of the band before so I thought it would be a nice idea to download some of their songs. The first song I heard was 'Evolution' and I liked it a lot! Then I realized SyX is much better then metallica :p. I was quite suprised why I didn't know them before.
Since then I don't listen to tallica that often anymore (but I still like them) and I think Symphony X is one of the greatest bands on earth.

Medusa's eyes said:
Alright, I was thinking about how I found out the band exists and when I heard Symphony X for the very first time.

I always went to a metallica chatroom and I met some friends there.
A little while ago (I think an half year ago or something) I found out one of them listens to SyX and I never heard of the band before so I thought it would be a nice idea to download some of their songs. The first song I heard was 'Evolution' and I liked it a lot! Then I realized SyX is much better then metallica :p. I was quite suprised why I didn't know them before.
Since then I don't listen to tallica that often anymore (but I still like them) and I think Symphony X is one of the greatest bands on earth.

Hear hear ... it was the same for me, before I'd listened to SX I was a really big MetallicA fan, in fact, I took it as a personal insult if my friends didn't immediately associate me with Tallica.

Then one of my mates insisted I educate myself in more intelligent music, tossed me LOTEOF and when I first played Evolution, I've not looked back since. Symphony X is just about the best thing to happen to metal (well it only makes sense to say that in a SX forum) :hotjump:

Well, I was chatting with a friend of mine about bands, then I asked him for some bands with a Savatage/Fates Warning style, then he suggested me to listen to Symphony X's Dressed to kill. It was love at first sound. hehehe :wave:

One of my friends (thats in a band w/my husband), brought over a mp3 of some prog. songs since all we really knew was DT, I have never heard anyother prog. music b-4, and i went through almost that whole cd, "THEN" (OMG) the "accolade" started to play, and I was just kinda zoned in, that was it for me, about 2 days later we went out shopping and bought every SmyX cd we could find..that was about 1 1/2 yrs. ago i think, And no I have never looked back either.

SYMPHONYX RULES!!
headbob.gif

Was a few years ago now but the way i think it happened is my brothers friend was over, whos in prog metal and stuff and said to listen to some Symphony X. Then sometime later when i was surfing for some new tunes i found some SX and remember he said to have a listen. The clips were the real audio ones also found on the official site and a couple from DWOT. Needless to say i was very impressed and ordered TDG, DWOT and TIO shortly after, then a bit later got the live and self titled when the live album came out, and The Odyssey when that came out. Is the only band Ive bought every album theyve released, which says something.

Oh, and I saw Opeth live during the week, the one other band I listen to regularly :)

Someone told me about V and said it was based on the Atlantis myth, which made me interested, so I downloaded some songs that were available on normal websites ("Of Sins And Shadows" and "Damnation Game" and some clips from V) and really liked it. At the time I was really into DT but Russell kicks LaBrie's ass and SX's music is more interesting, DT being all about showing off in my opinion. I listened to Awake the other day just to remind myself of how James La sounds and realized there is no real quality to his voice. Guess I'm a bit spoiled after hearing God R.A. :Spin:

I had heard of them probably 2 or 3 years ago. I downloaded some of there songs on Napster(sorry Mike Romeo), but I hadn't yet realized how good they were. Then one day I went to the music store in the mall. I was looking for a type of music that mixed rock and orchestra stuff. I picked up planet x and took it to my car and started listening to it. It was definetly not what I was looking for. I didn't like it at all. So I took it back. I looked around for a while. Finally looking in the S's, I found V. I got it and started listening to it. As soon as prelude came on, I was hooked. Then Evolution, and I was hooked even more. It was exactly what I was looking for. So ever since then I've been an X'er.

Suicide said:
when I first played Evolution, I've not looked back since

Wow, that was the first song that I also heard by SX; I remember thinking "damn, these guys are amazing."

I think there is a relation between how awesome a band's music if, if there are a fair number of people who can immdeiately fall in love with a single song, which ever that song is for you.

I mean the first time I listened to Master of Puppets, I'm like what the hell is this, this is suppposed to be a classic. Whereas with Evolution, I knew that SX had to be good less than 1 minute into the first song I listen to.

g3ddy_lee ... lol ... agreed ... although the first time I listen to them, this was my actual reaction ->:OMG: ... its like having 1 years worth of high squeezed into 5 minutes 20 seconds.

Suicide said:
its like having 1 years worth of high squeezed into 5 minutes 20 seconds.

Haha
Yeah man, to me, I'd never heard anything like it at the time, my jaw dropped, of course, lower than the example you showed.

ROCK ON!

-Geddy Lee
-www.run-around.com

The first Symphony X song I heard was "Of Sins and Shadows"...

I downloaded it on Kazaa, along with Smoke and Mirrors and The Divine Wings of Tragedy...

the first SX song I heard was "In the Dragon's Den" on a Finnish metal compilation called HellDorado. I didn't think much of it at the time, it sounded like your basic power-metal band. Then a few years later I bought V upon recommendation, and I immediately fell in love with it.

I was browsing through cdnow.com for some DT samples when "Symphony X" came up as a recomendation so I checked out some samples (30 seconds) under V and TiO and bought V the very next day without downloading a full song