First song you listened to by Sym X

cimore000

New Metal Member
Jan 25, 2011
What was the first song that you listened to from Symphony X that got you into SYMPHONY X?

Mine was Smoke and Mirrors, I listened to that about 100000 times on replay, I checked out some of their other stuff and didnt like it too much. Then all the stuff grew on me. I also dont understand why V is so popular, its a good but not the BEST. I am a very new fan as I was getting into SYM X when Paradise Lost was already out.

I very much like The Oddysey and DWOT. Paradise Lost was pretty good too, gets a lot of hate here unfortunately.

What was the first song that you listened to from Symphony X that got you into SYMPHONY X?

Mine was Smoke and Mirrors, I listened to that about 100000 times on replay, I checked out some of their other stuff and didnt like it too much. Then all the stuff grew on me. I also dont understand why V is so popular, its a good but not the BEST. I am a very new fan as I was getting into SYM X when Paradise Lost was already out.

I very much like The Oddysey and DWOT. Paradise Lost was pretty good too, gets a lot of hate here unfortunately.

I discovered Sym X on Guitar9.com and their name was intriguing so I bought The Odyssey and the song Inferno got me hooked immediately. I only responded one other time, in my life, to a song so strongly and that was Queen of the Reich by Queensryche when I was in my early, way early, 20's. Both songs had a strong element of style and musicianship that really surpassed everything I was listening to at the time.

I suppose it would have been Set The World On Fire, since I started with Paradise Lost. Not a great choice since that's not one of the Symphony X songs I prefer. I can't remember what song got me into them, it was the whole album really.

The first tune from SymX I heard was "Pharaoh" from TDWOT. I clicked on a real audio link at a website called No Exit (now defunct), and was intrigued enough to check them out further. Funny thing about that tune .. I know a lot of fans who don't like it and think it's one of SymX's worst.

Britt

Mine was Communion and the Oracle, and I only knew that song from them for a while and as Cimore said the others songs just grew on me.

Mine was the 94 version of Masquerade. I hated it, and for the longest time i thought Russel Allen and Rod Tyler were the same person so for the longest time my friend who originaly showed me SyMX and i always argued "dude how can you not like Russel Allen blah blah blah hes annoying and sounds like he has no balls blah blah." It all changed until i heard their post debut stuff, i cant remember which was the first but it was either the Odyssey or Set the World On Fire.

Can't remember for sure but I think it was Sea of lies. Loved it a lot and then it all just started from there.

The first one I remember hearing was Evoution (The Grand Design) back when they opened for Blind Guardian in 2003. I'm sure they played songs in the set before that, but that chorus was stuck in my head all night, even after Blind Guardian was done. I immediately picked up V afterwards.

For me it was Of Sins and Shadows back in 03 I think.

I remember seeing it in some random metal search through kazaa. A few days later, I was at Coconuts and they happened to have The Odyssey special edition available, so I figured why not?

The first few listens I didn't really get it, but it was good enough to convince me to pick up V and DWoT. Though I think it was seeing them live for the first time later that year that really hooked me.

Probably something off DWoT, before 2000 I believe. Might've been Out of the Ashes or Sea of Lies.

A friend of mine played The Odyssey in his car, and I thought it was pretty cool. I put it on my mp3 player from his computer and after a while I just bought all the albums. The Damnation Game was my first SX album

Thats good to hear accolade 2 for the first time. that songs easily EASILY top 10 of all symx songs. LOVE IT

Bird - Serpent war. I stole a guitar magazine from a friend of mine to learn some Hendrix licks and it had that song transcribed. I learned it first then I downloaded the song (it took 2 days that time!:confused:) because not only I couldn't play the solo, I really doubted it could be played at all by a human being. It was the first (and last) time I stole something and I felt really rewarded (still feel) by doing so. I never played hendrix after that, but I never got to play that solo flawlessly either. And hell i tried! :devil:

Of Sins and Shadows in 2005. Was like no metal I ever listened to before and it was really interesting to me at the time. I really loved the riffs during the verses because they were quite unique compared to other metal bands where its just chuga chuga chuga, and of course the amazing solo in the song. It's still is a fantastic song.

Of Sins And Shadows was also the first SX song I listened to. In late 2005. Being a huge Yngwie fan
I heard similarities yet it was so much better. I had purchased Divine Wings and V and at the time I remember Sea Of Lies and Fallen being the first two songs that I just loved. Very soon V became my absolute favorite album and still is. Of any band. Ever!

:worship: