First song you listened to by Sym X

Probably Prelude off V. It was my first Symphony X album. I bought it simply because it had a cool cover, I hadn't heard Symphony X previous to this. Imagine how happy I was :D

My brother showed me In the Dragon's Den because he thought the drumming was cool.

He gave me a few MP3s, including the Odyssey and Fallen, and it was more through having them on my playlist for a couple of weeks that I got into them - initially I wasn't into the heavier sound of Symphony X compared to Dream Theater at the time, but that has all changed :)

In the Dragons Den

I randomly just downloaded it online while looking for new music. I dont remember exactly when but it was sometime a little after V first came out. Explored more songs after that and they soon became my favorite band.

The first two songs I listened to was 'Of Sins and Shadows' and 'In the Dragon's Den'. This was some years ago, maybe in 2006 or 2007 or something like that. I thought it was decent, but nothing spectacular,so I didn't check out the other songs.

Then, in the summer of 2009, I read on some forum about Metal Ballads, and Paradise Lost was mentioned. I've always been fond of soft,beautiful songs, so I thought it was worth checking out...

I'm glad I did!! I instantly fell in love with the song, and started to check out other songs as well. I soon realised Symphony X was going to have a very special place in my heart, as songs like Communion and the Oracle, Through the Looking Glass,Church of the Machine, The Divine Wings of Tragedy, Accolades, Edge of Forever etc. was revealed to me. The mysterious keys, the adorable piano lines, the polyrhytmic pieces, the beautiful vocal harmonies..no band gives me as much intensity of emotions as Symphony X.

So, Sins/Dragon's was the first song I heard, but it was Paradise Lost(song) which really got me into the magical world of Symphony X. I've listened to SX about every single day since the autumn of 09, and I'm still not tired of them. Best band ever.:worship:

Smoke and Mirrors, it was 2000 or 2001...

I remember I wasn´t ready back then for prog :eek:, so I didn´t like at all what I was hearing at that time (TiO). Maybe a year or two later, the friend who introduced me SX insisted me in giving them a "second chance." I did, with the same album, and since then, I became a fan :)

Set the World on Fire while scouring around the youtubes in 08, but It was when I clicked Revelations right after that I truley got hooked :D

Prelude/Evolution.

A guy I knew that was into prog and power metal used to order a small inventory of music to sell on the side. He was always playing random stuff so people could hear it and maybe be like, "hey this music sounds neato" and get people into it. Well one day I was just kinda looking at some of his inventory for the hell of it (I was not into or really too aware of the prog/power/underground metal scene yet at the time). I was mostly amusing myself by looking at all the album arts and seeing different names of all these foreign to me at the time bands. I saw V and was somehow infatuated with the band name "Symphony X". The name just sort of gave me the impression of music that was beautiful and enchanting, yet with a metal edge, and the idea interested me. The guy just happened to have his own already opened copy and he played it for me to hear. Prelude played and it showed me the symphonic side of the music, but then the harder more speedy metal side hit with Evolution, and by the time it got to the first epic chorus I instantly picked the unopened copy back up, bought it, and the rest is history..

I believe that was back in like 2002 or 2003. I know V was the newest album at the time but it wasn't like brand new. I remember I bought the rest of their catalog save for the s/t in like a 2 month span after that. Also, I remember Odyssey came out like one and a half to two years after I got V.

Summer of 1997, a friend brought over one of those sampler CDs you used to get with metal mags. Of Sins and Shadows was on it. Taped that shit over and literally wore out the tape listening to that one song and rewind it endlessly for a month straight until i was finally able to find a place to order the TWDOT import.

The first song I technically heard was Inferno back in late 2002, but it was Wicked that got me into them. I heard that opening riff and was confused as to how the drums were playing an even beat but the guitars/bass were doing their own thing, but that it all added up at the end. I had liked Dream Theater for a bit before that, but never heard anything like that (the polyrhythm thing). And of course, Russ slays on that song...

It was songs like Accolade II, Awakenings, and The Odyssey, of course, that really got me into Symphony X. I will always prefer their more melodic/progressive side to their straight-up metal side. It takes a lot more talent to be able to compose something like that in my opinion. And V... just wow. What a masterpiece.

Bird - Serpent war. I stole a guitar magazine from a friend of mine to learn some Hendrix licks and it had that song transcribed.

Really?! What guitar magazine was that?! I've never once seen Symphony X transcribed in a magazine; it's all radio shit!

Masquerade '98, I presume, as Prelude to the Millennium was the first album I grabbed.

I was boarding at a Lutheran seminary for Uni and found it browsing through someone's shared metal collection over the LAN. 2002.

Really?! What guitar magazine was that?! I've never once seen Symphony X transcribed in a magazine; it's all radio shit!

Brazil's Guitar Class magazine, a 2002 issue. It had Jimi Hendrix on the cover, and the transcriptions of Sweet child O mine (AKA queen of the guitar noobs), Wield My Sword (Malmsteen), Hotel California and Bird - Serpent War. I remember that other issues had Sea of Lies, Out of the Ashes and Of Sins and Shadows.

But trust me, serpent war solo is way harder than those ones. It has nasty ninth notes per beat legato and tapping. And the wah wah makes it even harder to listen the notes clearly. I'm almost crying right now.

The first song I technically heard was Inferno back in late 2002, but it was Wicked that got me into them. I heard that opening riff and was confused as to how the drums were playing an even beat but the guitars/bass were doing their own thing, but that it all added up at the end. I had liked Dream Theater for a bit before that, but never heard anything like that (the polyrhythm thing). And of course, Russ slays on that song...

It was songs like Accolade II, Awakenings, and The Odyssey, of course, that really got me into Symphony X. I will always prefer their more melodic/progressive side to their straight-up metal side. It takes a lot more talent to be able to compose something like that in my opinion. And V... just wow. What a masterpiece.

I like this post.

I remember attempting to air drum to Accolade II when the song picks up a bit. I had no idea what was going on, and was so confused as to why I couldn't drum along with the track.

Later on, I remember listening to The Odyssey while walking my dog, and I was thinking to myself "What is going on? These guys just start and repeat their riffs at strange times."

It was so interesting. I loved it.

Brazil's Guitar Class magazine, a 2002 issue. It had Jimi Hendrix on the cover, and the transcriptions of Sweet child O mine (AKA queen of the guitar noobs), Wield My Sword (Malmsteen), Hotel California and Bird - Serpent War. I remember that other issues had Sea of Lies, Out of the Ashes and Of Sins and Shadows.

Damn dude, you're lucky. Here in the states the only metal you see transcribed is either classic stuff (e.g. Sabbath) or newer "me too" crap. The only transcriptions I have for Symphony X is that awful Japanese tab book!

I like this post.

I remember attempting to air drum to Accolade II when the song picks up a bit. I had no idea what was going on, and was so confused as to why I couldn't drum along with the track.

Later on, I remember listening to The Odyssey while walking my dog, and I was thinking to myself "What is going on? These guys just start and repeat their riffs at strange times."

It was so interesting. I loved it.

Yep! This band taught me to count out and eventually feel these timings and polyrhythms and such. It took me years to be able to play my own pattern while other instruments did theirs, all ending up at the same point. I still don't know of any bands that do this with any regularity other than Symphony X. Such a cool sound!

Symphony X also taught me the value of switching key signatures throughout a song to make it more melodically interesting (e.g. Accolade II), and how to switch them without it sounding forced. Before I heard them, I had written seven-minute songs in the same key throughout! How boring!

The Odyssey. Was quite a lot to take for the... hmm... 13 year old me? Somehow started to sound better and better with listening.

Damn dude, you're lucky. Here in the states the only metal you see transcribed is either classic stuff (e.g. Sabbath) or newer "me too" crap. The only transcriptions I have for Symphony X is that awful Japanese tab book!

Just found this site with lots of guitar Class covers (mine is teh Hendrix one as I said) and the complete transcription list, as well as a link to download the original Magazine audio don't know if it's working, though.

http://escribasvirtuais.blogspot.com/2010/06/revista-guitar-class-uma-fonte-de.html

Most probably "Evolution". According to one of those online multiple choice selectors that were all the rage back in 2001, Symphony X was supposed to be the perfect band for my tastes. I proceeded to download the first song that came up on Soulseek (anyone remember that?), which turned out to be "Evolution". Needless to say I was hooked instantaneously.