old The Gathering

dreaming neon darkspot

natures' retard
May 13, 2002
in times of grace
i've been listening to older stuff by The Gathering (the Downfall early years compilation) and have got to say it's pretty fucking amazing. the production sucks something terrible and some of their stuff sounds kinda like old video game music, but the rest of it is fucking amazing.

yeah, uhh ... discuss?

I'm a fan...

It just sucks that so many people don't like Anneke's voice...I can't understand why.
It REALLY sucks that she's not in the band anymore :(
You can't replace a voice like that.
*weep*

Edit: I know she wasn't in the compilation you're talking about, but I had to complain anyway :p

Everything from If Then Else is a favorite..
And I like Nighttime birds. I think that particular style of music takes a while to grow on people though..

Weird, I'm listening to How to Measure a Planet? and I pop on and see this thread. I'm not hugely into the pre-Anneke material, and time will tell how the post-Anneke material turns out

I used to have a thing for The Gathering, but the other night I tried to listen to a few of their post Death/Doom albums, and couldn't get through them at all. Even Mandylion.

I don't have (edit) Always (wonder where the fuck "Awake" came from) on hand, not sure where its gone off too, but last time I heard it, even it was slipping from my radar.

I think Mandylion is their best album but How To Measure... is a close 2nd. I'm glad I caught their set in Seattle over the summer, it ended up being Anneke's last US show with the band.

i dont think ive actually heard the gathering. i always just said to myself, "meh chick-rock, whatever. probably sucks." but im a jerk like that.

I'm a fan...

It just sucks that so many people don't like Anneke's voice...I can't understand why.
It REALLY sucks that she's not in the band anymore :(
You can't replace a voice like that.
*weep*

Edit: I know she wasn't in the compilation you're talking about, but I had to complain anyway :p

I KNOW she had such a very unique sound. At first I didn't like their sound overall, don't ask me why, but I love it now. And it does suck terribly hard that she is no longer in the band :( ::le sigh::