OLIVER DAWSON ALBUM REVIEW 28 11 00

S

Stefan Theyson

Having just received a copy of the so-called Oliver Dawson Saxon album I would like to make a suggestion to the guys, you should call it “lets pretend”. That would be more apt. Do you think we are all stupid? There must be a lack of people in your organisation that are willing to tell you that this sucks! How can anyone take this seriously? The singer sounds like a strangled goose; you should tell him if he is going to sing Saxon songs then he should at least be able to get his voice to go up where it should. Watching and listening to Biff Byford sing is the same as Dio or Gillan or Ozzy, masters of their craft, unique. As for the rest, we are supposed to believe it was recorded live. Well, the audience don’t seem too loud unlike real Saxon concerts I have been too. The picture on the back is very telling. The people don’t look that bothered, in fact on closer scrutiny they look a bit bewildered. I’ m sure the shot is from some place out of the way where they conned somebody into giving them a show. So lets call the album “lets pretend to be Saxon”. I have heard that Biff and the boys do spend a lot of time trying to stop things like this, I have some advice for you Biff, if this is what your concerned with, forget it, save your money if this pathetic attempt is all they can do you have no worries. As for the band, I actually take offence to Steve Dawson thanking fans around the world, where was he from 1986 to 1996? Not exactly setting the musical world alight. Rumour has it he was making furniture. What happened did you get bored? I see from your picture you got fat and bald. Don’t patronise real Saxon fans, this band is a con and it’s obvious the sole purpose of this album is to deceive us. Graham Oliver is obviously very bitter about his demise from Saxon but it is pretty obvious from what he is doing now why he was dismissed. He must have a hold over the rest of you guys to get you to go along with this charade or maybe you have not got anything better to do. The songs on the album have no excitement at all, the playing is just on one level, and they even ruin Eagle has landed. Whoever plays the solo should listen to Paul Quinn, he plays with intensity and passion, not just a bunch of notes parrot fashion. Did you die when you left Saxon? You seem to be in some twilight zone between the 80’s and the 90’s or are you trying to kill of everything that was written after you went? There is an army of new fans and old who are into the new stuff but you can’t separate them. They are into the band, 80’s or 90’s; do you think anybody cares that you used to be in Saxon? What you are doing is trying to destroy them, it’s a bit like if you can’t have it, nobody will. Even if you owned everything to do with Saxon people would still think you were arseholes because really it is more to do with charisma, personality, professionalism and that bit of magic which actually you lot don’t have. . So, lets put this album in the right category, TRIBUTE BAND!!!!!
Just one more thought, the Saxon chant on the end, next time you fake an album, make sure you use the right one. Being from Eastern Europe myself originally we don’t pronounce Saxon like that. The emphasis is on the O as in Saxone not Saxan. Sorry boys, better luck next time.
Stefan Theyson.
Journalist and disturbed fan

What a great review. Couldn't agree more. They even rip off the Rock the Nations era eagle on the cover. Sad and a joke really.

I am glad to see a review like this. I feel that those guys are just a bunch of lazy assholes who couldn't come up with anything original so, hey let rip off SAXON fans!!!! I have no plans on ever buying anything that doesn't have Biff as the singer with the SAXON name on it.

Hopefully Dawson and Olivier are reading these posts and will realize that the fans have lost any respect they had for them. I for one have no respect for these guys and this 2nd rate band.

if the people who wrote the previous posts only knew the real truth about why oliver and dawson are no longer with biff's saxon. You would certainly change your attitude guys, belive me.

I'm all ears Steveudz, but if it was that bad why do they still want to use the Saxon name when Saxon have there own fans who still believe in the real Biff Saxon.

Really though, if only you knew guys, I do as I spoke to both sides in person. Far from me to air anyones dirty laundry or even side with one or the other, this is not the journalistic way, for as the astute journalist who wrote the review should know, we are governed by certain laws that prevent us 'siding' with one side or the other, this could be seen as libellous, and, with all the legallities surrounding both bands at the minute is not a situation I would relish being in.
The real truth IS out there though, youve just got to look for it, very hard.
I will say one thing though, I met Graham and Steve in a pub in Birmingham where we had a long chat and believe you me they really are nice guys, very down to earth and sincere. I also met Biff and Paul before and after a show in the Midlands, they too were very forthcoming and pleasent, so personally, as people, there is nothing wrong, its just LEGALLITIES.