OMg I'm An Idiot ... New Mix and New FFaF Song!!

friendforafoe

FFaF Guitarist/Producer
Oct 2, 2009
Washington DC
www.facebook.com
Hey Everyone,

So I had a revelation yesterday ... since I started using impulses almost a year ago, I could never quite figure out why my guitar tones didn't have that high-end bite and the "air" I heard in impulse demos. I would boost between 8-10kHz to add a bit of high end and it still didn't have that sound I wanted. No matter what I did, it would sound too muddy for my taste and lacked "that sound" I was going for.

So I went back and tweaked my tone again (the Chunk Chunk/Bog Bottom dual tone) ... messed around with the volume and presence knobs on the POD X3L to get the right amount of mids, turned down the gain a bit, boosted the trebs, and started recording again ... AGAIN, it still sounded like ass imo and just put me off form recording anything for my CD.

I started mixing a song for a band last night and loaded up everything to create their sound. I loaded an instance of Voxengo Boogex as I normally do when I add impulses and I realized something ... this whole time I had high and low pass pre's on in Boogex. I adjusted the sliders and BAM!! The bite and high end was there ... the guitars shined without being peircing!
So I went back and redid my old song "Omega" and decided to post it so you can here my brand spankin new guitar tone and new mix using impulses ... the right way haha.

Unfortunately this means I'm rerecording all the songs I've done so far for the CD and they probably wont all be done before the new year because I'm starting to get everything packed up for my move back to Washington DC in December. As SOON as I get back I'll finish everything up and start setting up an actual roster of musicians for FFaF. I'll also be starting up a side-project with Mark Holcomb from Haunted Shores so get ready for something amazing coming at the beginning of the new year. Maybe we'll get Bulb to play the skin flute for us or something haha.

You can find the song at http://www.myspace.com/friendforafoe2 or http://www.soundclick.com/friendforafoe

Hope you guys like it!

Cheers,
Chris

Sounds really good dude!! Very impressive!! Guitars are very nioce sounding.

What's your processing chain on guitars? Did you change anything there?

EDIT - And this song is fucking awesome too man!! Great songwriting!!

Thanks man! Glad you liked the song!

As far as my chain for guitars:

Schecter C7 Hellraiser w/Seymour Duncan Blackouts > Line 6 Pod X3L (Big Bottom and Chunk Chunk dual tone) > Voxengo Boogex with Recabinet's Ghandi IRs (used correctly this time lmao ... I'm such a dumbass) > Voxengo Curve EQ (60-band EQ of course) > Kjaerhus Audio's Classic Compressor (amazing compression plug-in) > and a band pass ... that's it! I used to add shit tons of plugins to everything and eventually just went for the minimalist route and it sounds MUCH better imo :)

Cool bro! I keep discovering "less is more" is usually better for your ram too lol. The next song will be done ... soon? Can't really tell you tbh. Maybe I'll just post up a diddy with my 8-string tonight or something :)

i like song and your sound.;)
more info about what recabinet impulse did you use?
i bought the new FALL recabinet release and i testing with impulses now.:D