Newest MIX - PODXT - DKFH - PROTOOLs

urinebath

Terminal E
Jun 5, 2007
Cleveland, OH
www.myspace.com
Ok... after finding some more settings and ways of adding all the ingredients to a mix, I redid my drums and guitar tones. I think my hi-hat is too washy sounding still. My buddy found this guys settings on myspace at Toxic Grind Machine. I can't remember if he's posted on here, but his home studio stuff makes Bulb sound like Metallica.... hahahah....Metallica....

Anyway. Here's what's used:

On guitars I tried impulses with Boogex but just couldn't find the right tone. I have impulses from almost every amp company and the ENGL ones probably are the best for the sound I'm looking for. But still, this test is all PODXT.

Guitar Signal Chain: Guitar > PODXT > MBOX2 > channel insert > 2BandEQ > BBE Sonic Maximizer

Drums are a whole different monster. Since it's DFH, the possibilities are endless. I basically A/B the Chimaira toms with mine, matching them in tone, timbre and snappiness. The kick and snare I a/b with a chunk of a Gojira song, The Whale Song, I think... Since I'm not an audiofile I just matched tones rather than busting my brain think about ratios and db's and such.

I used mostly the Waves SS Channel for most of the drums with a 4 band eq to add the snap. Little verb on the snare (seperate aux send) then a different Reverb on the overall mix.

Bass: I matched a tone from the band "Botch" and dirtied it up a little.
Bass > PODXT > MBOX2 > channel insert > C4 > SansAmp > 4bandEQ > BBE

The master out I used the iZotope.

Let me know what you think of the tones, mix, etc.

NEW SONG SETTINGS 111908

I like that the bass drum is easily heard, but something about the sound of it rubs me wrong.

hats are a bit washy, I may not have noticed if you didn't say it though.

perhaps a dumb question - what's a 2 band eq (what bands, and why those 2?)

is the BBE really necessary? I've seen a lot of peeps say it doesn't do much to help things...

cool stuff.

perhaps a dumb question - what's a 2 band eq (what bands, and why those 2?)
I'm using the 2 band EQ just to shape the guitar tone a little more cut out some bass and add some mid.

is the BBE really necessary? I've seen a lot of peeps say it doesn't do much to help things...
I guess is a personal taste. I just started using it and I think it helps fill out the tone. It's a little seasoning. It may be not necessary but this is why I'm testing different things out.