circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
On Broken Wings – It’s All a Long Goodbye
Eulogy Recordings – EUL59 – June 21st, 2005
By Jason Jordan

onbrokenwings.jpg

Another day, another metalcore album. It’s All a Long Goodbye is On Broken Wings’s return from a two-year absence, and the former is actually pretty good. Like always, though, I do have a slew of complaints that I feel are completely deserved.

Basically, It’s All a Long Goodbye is a half an hour of extended breakdowns, which means that the substance is lacking. And, it’s not as if On Broken Wings are offering anything original; the cards are already stacked against them as they’re dabbling in an oversaturated subgenre. So, with that in mind, the band is fairly capable of crafting decent songs (again, too fixated on breakdowns), but they are not able to usurp the powerhouses of metalcore. No surprise there. As far as the musical performances are concerned, all members traipse around comfortably. Blake’s gruff vocalizations are strangely gratifying, yet his clean singing is repulsive. It’s not like he’s too off-key or anything of the sort. His tone just doesn’t mesh with the instrumentation whatsoever, and the aforementioned makes for multiple cringes. Furthermore, it’d be a waste of time to select certain numbers as standouts, because the tracks on It’s All a Long Goodbye have a proclivity for blending in with one another. However, On Broken Wings do provide some solid grooves – here and there – if that’s all you’re looking for in a release.

I’ve never had the pleasure of hearing Some of Us May Never See the World – the group’s debut full-length – but I’ve heard that It’s All a Long Goodbye marks the beginning of a steady decline, which is unfortunate to say the least. While I can’t fully endorse this record, something in my head prevents me from trashing it. Metalcore fanatics will be appeased, but others will be sorely disappointed.

7/10

Official On Broken Wings Website
Official Eulogy Recordings Website