On the search for quality rap.

Reminiscence

Oblique and Nebulous
Nov 1, 2005
Lakewood, CO
Yeah, I expect to get a good amount of shit spam in this thread, but perhaps just a couple of you will be courteous enough to list a few quality artists. I want stuff with aesthetic quality, not stupid, inane pop shit. The only real idea I can give of what I might be looking for is something similar to Bone Thugs, I guess.

NOW THIS IS A STORY ALL ABOUT HOW MY LIFE GOT TWIST 'N TURNED UPSIDE DOWN NOW I'D LIKE TO TAKE A MINUTE JUST SIT RIGHT THERE, AND TELL YOU HOW I BECAME THE PRINCE OF A TOWN CALLED BEL-AIR.

Yeah, I expect to get a good amount of shit spam in this thread, but perhaps just a couple of you will be courteous enough to list a few quality artists. I want stuff with aesthetic quality, not stupid, inane pop shit. The only real idea I can give of what I might be looking for is something similar to Bone Thugs, I guess.

Pick up "A Healthy Distrust" by Sage Francis. It's rap, but it's great, great, great music.

Seriously, I command it.

Dr. Octagon is a great suggestion. MF Doom is great, especially his Madvillain project with Madlib. The rapping that takes place in Clint Mansell's former band, Pop Will Eat Itself, is excellent. Beastie Boy esque, but the music itself is better. Aesop Rock is famous for a good reason, and pretty much anything starring Kool Keith or Del the Funkee Homosapien is top notch, especially the legendary, classic album Deltron 3030 that features Del with Dan the Automator and Kid Koala. Prince Paul created what was pretty much the first rap opera concept album. Or at least...the first successful one. It's called A Prince Among Thieves. Ah...let's see...two classics that you should definitely look into are A Tribe Called Quest and De La Soul. Both are musts.

By the way, I must say that I love Scarsick. It's definitely one of my favorite Pain of Salvation albums, but it definitely, definitely, pulls a lot of inspiration, moreso than they ever have, from Faith No More and Mike Patton in general. There are many moments when Daniel is dead on Patton, but it still maintains an overall Pain of Salvation sound, and I love it. Probably Pain of Salvation's most experimental so far, or at least, it equals BE, but in a much different way. However, I think that many PoS fans are going to hate it and shun it. I can already hear the swelling complaints about it not being progressive. "Where are the complex time signatures?" They say. "Is that DISCO?!" I hear. I will admit, though, that America is, without any doubt, the cheesiest song I have ever heard from Pain of Salvation. At the very beginning, they almost summoned Spock's Beard, and I was afraid.

actually, avoid the beastie boys at all costs. theyre just such a horrible group of musicians.

Which is why I suggested the much, much better (and much different) Pop Will Eat Itself. ^_^ Which, by the way, if anyone has not heard The Fountain soundtrack, beat yourself and go get it right now. He has been building up to it, but it is this score that officially qualifies Clint Mansell as one of the greatest film composers of all time.

Wow, I expected a lot of playa' hatin' n shyt because of this thread. You guys have surprised me. Lord of Metal's post was pretty comprehensive and will have me busy a little while. There is also another great rapper Twista and you guys have the urge to check out anything from "Adrenaline Rush".