One man, countless votes

rahvin

keeper of the flame
Oct 10, 2001
safe but not far from the city
Prompted by this piece of (not so fresh) news on the official site

MTV2 "Video of the year" nomination - Nov 15, 2007

"Focus shift" is nominated for "Video of the year" at MTV2's Headbanger's ball.

Go to the link below and click "Vote" and scroll to the D.T. clip to show your undying support, unparalleled devotion and impeccable taste:.

www.mtv2.com/#series/10896
I set off to be a good citizen and braved the trendy seas of MTV number who cares to reach the fabled page where democracy was supposed to work at its finest. After clicking enthusiastically on the black box (thus turning it a hip shade of pink, no less!) trying to ignore the fact that the MTV tab was screwing with Firefox, I was expecting a bleak message commenting my uncool choice.

Instead I got this:

"Thanks for voting!
Feel free to VOTE AGAIN!"

Err. I obediently clicked again, eager to help the guys gain the upper hand, arm, or even torso, and the same message kept reappearing. I was on the same computer, same browser window open, didn't bother closing the tab, assiduously stored all my cookies, and I even have a static IP to boot. While it's true that I recently probably scored a few points with several gods by making fun of the hilarious ian.de, I doubt this is God's way of telling me he loves the Gothenburg sound.

The only possible conclusion is that MTV2's poll is about as irrelevant as the network, and the end result will show once and for all whose band has the most Internet-savvy fans (clearly they're also morons for exploiting the voting mechanism with some sort of bot, but I better skip this part lest I show my gigantic ignorance as to how this would work in practice).

To this, the Dark Tranquillity forum shall reply with its own round of voting, based on the very same rules MTV2 suggested (i.e., none).

Vote now for your favourite DT forum videos of 2007!

- Dark Tranquillity, "Focus Shift" [current votes: five million]

- Britney Spears, "Gimme, gimme" [current votes: five]

EDIT: Thread ends when voters are bored.

First.

edit: and now after reading your post I can also say that I am voting for ... yes, you probably guessed it: Britney Spears. Not because she makes good music or the video is well made (to be honest I have not seen it), but just because I do not want Dark Tranquillity to win a MTV award. Imagine all the teenies who would flood this forum.

couldn't it be that you're allowed to give one vote each to any chosen number of videos, but nothing beyond that first one registers if you click the same?

couldn't it be that you're allowed to give one vote each to any chosen number of videos, but nothing beyond that first one registers if you click the same?

I don't know, I hope you're right for the sake of mankind, but you get the exact same message no matter how many times you click on how many videos. If it catches multiples votes right away it could at least hint at that in the message, and if it doesn't I'm not sure repeated votes could reasonably be sorted later on.

How about you just being able to choose another band? Instead of your first vote.

@todrin: Why would you want to do that? We already established in that other thread that there is only one God. And it goes by the name Dark Tranquillity.

Ok, let's update the results to not reflect the latest votes in any way!

- Dark Tranquillity, "Focus Shift" [current votes: the milky way]

- Britney Spears, "Gimme, gimme" [current votes: one suspicious-looking jug of milk]

And you dare complain about my useless posting.
At least I don't create a useless thread about something as stupid
as this, everyone knows anything MTV does is pointless.

And you dare complain about my useless posting.
At least I don't create a useless thread about something as stupid
as this, everyone knows anything MTV does is pointless.

I think creating pointless topics and threadshitting every topic are comparable crimes, but if you insist mine is worse I get to sleep in the top bunk, sorry.

I'm adding a bunch of votes, equal in number with the molecules contained in a litre of milk, to our yummy Focus Shift.