one quick tip that truly helped me

XxSicRokerxX

Gabriel R.
Nov 25, 2010
Orange County, CA
So I've been struggling endlessly trying to find the right DRUMS sound for the type of music i like.

Ive spent endless hours mixing, compressing, eqing, IR, everything but it never sounded right, this helped me out the most and i'm really glad i thought of this.

I simply dragged a SONG with the sound that i like into my DAW. I found a part in the song that has NO DRUMS but still has guitars and bass.

I looped that CLIP OVER and OVER again and played with my superior drummer DRUM TRACK til i got a similar if not better drum sound.

I Soloed the Drum track just to hear what it sounded like and it sounded much different then what i original play with... it was a lot more ambient and punchy.

Ive now been able to mix a lot more effectively since i can easily compare my mix to sounds that i enjoy.

Hope it makes sense,

Good luck and happy mixing :D

thanks for this good, practical mixing tip.
i know everybody knows this but should be reminded once in a while to listen to sounds/instruments in context of the music rather than solo'ed.

Wich settings or fx did you touched different than when you used to do it and didn't liked it?

The snare needed to be louder with more reverb well i used Bricasti m7 impulses, and i used a preset from FET Compressor on the room track which made everything 10x better, and my hi hat was way too loud.