Any of you add DrumRoom IR to Drums sim? (i.e. superior drummer)

XxSicRokerxX

Gabriel R.
Nov 25, 2010
Orange County, CA
Ive been jamming along to a few midi drum grooves using SUPERIOR DRUMMER 2.0.

I jam along using my line 6 como amp i have next to my monitors.

I noticed that the drums sound a little...whats the word... dry?

They dont have that room/echo type of sound like other programs ive used (such as addictive drums or even that stock cubase 5 halion drum sims which have a nice hall reverb)

So i decided to tweak a few things, i loaded a drum room IR to the MASTER BUS just for the heck of it using SIR loader i didnt completely mix the IR i just made it a little WET so it would have a hint of REVERB, and it sounded really good, I jammed along and the drums sounded much better much more authentic with the room IR, i compared the drums sound to a few bands i like (deftones, staind, cold) and it sounded awesome.

Do any of you guys so something like this?

Route all tracks to different channels in your daw. Use some kind of 1176 style comp on the rooms and compress them to hell and back. Bring it up until you like what you hear - will give you some nice ambience and punch.

Use some reverb (I usually use the Bricasti M7 impulses, large wooden room) with a quick pre delay (16-24ms) and send the toms and snare to it. Mix in to taste but don't overdo it unless you really like 80's style drums.

If i do this, i create a bus and send the drums to it 100% wet. I sometimes throw a mic up and record the drums through my monitors and blend that. I normally don't do the same things all the time when working with drum samplers, but just experiment, have fun, and be creative. If it works awesome, if not keep trying.

Yes, i normally have my drums set to Multi-channel so i can edit each track individually theres an OVERHEAD track and ROOM track. Okay so if i understand what you're saying: compress the ROOMS track to give it more ambiance and punch? and then send an impulse to snare and toms using FX track (fx track is what its called in CUBASE) ?

Yes, i normally have my drums set to Multi-channel so i can edit each track individually theres an OVERHEAD track and ROOM track. Okay so if i understand what you're saying: compress the ROOMS track to give it more ambiance and punch? and then send an impulse to snare and toms using FX track (fx track is what its called in CUBASE) ?

yup. create a stereo fx track with your favourite ir-plugin (I use SIR2) and load up a room/hall/plate impulse of your choice, make it 100% wet. Send the snare and toms to it. Highpass it up to 300hz so it doesn't mud up things. Mix in to taste. don't forget to setup the pre delay!

you want to take out some of the kick and oh's/hi hat out of the roomtrack for metal though. compress it REALLY hard. Using a 1176 style comp (waves one is awesome!), will be your best choice imo to get that sweet tail it creates with really fast release times and it's all-button-in mode. I usually compress 10-20db! I love how it adds awesomenes to the snare sound, too.

You should definitely check out the Bricasti M7 Irs. I have used them a few times to blend with a plate style verb on snare and it sounds incredible imo.

yeah the bricasti m7 impulses rule... I wonder what the pro's use though... I always feel like cheating when using impulses for reverb and make it so easy. I mean... don't get me wrong, I don't want to make things complicated, I'm just afraid that it's too static. Can't say I would hear the difference, just a matter of paranoia. :)

yea, i agree with one post above, what makes Superior stand apart (WAY apart) from all the other sampled/drum software out there is their ROOM/OH samples/options (imo). they're just amazing. you got the real deal right there, just push the faders up to taste! if that doesn't work - or you want to experiment with verbs too - a send to SIR (100% wet) with a nice room verb is always pleasing.

btw - here's a link to those Bricasti M7 pulses i found for anyone, like me, that doesn't have them. haven't tried them yet - but will soon.

http://www.acousticas.net/World/IRs/AcousticasM7.zip