One song

I think for Opeth, The Moor is a good song to get people into the band. The beginning may be too ong for most people to pay attention to it, and The Funeral Portrait is also good. The Drapery Falls is qa good song, but I think the intro is a bit too short to get someone's attention for longer. Opeth differs quite a bit, so it is hard to go with only one, but I'll say

Opeth - The Funeral Portrait

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I'm in the process of trying to track some of these songs down. And Suicide, you weren't kidding about it being a *long* song :D

Incidently, just to throw in my own recommendation here...if anyone hasn't heard Anthrax since John replaced Joey on vocals, they sound much different (and IMO much better...John Bush has an amazing voice for metal). Out of lots of songs to choose from, I'd recommend "Inside Out". A great song, maybe not their best, but a good example of what kind of what they can do.

(If anyone wants to swap an MP3 or two, PM me)

If Opeth hadn't already been mentioned I'd, along with steve, be recommending "The Funeral Portrait" as an ideal introduction to Opeth.

If Soilwork hadn't already been mentioned I'd be suggesting "Final Fatal Force".

If Dark Tranquillity hadn't, I'd be going with either "Monochromatic Stains" or, for excellent vocal variety and just a way cool song, "Undo Control".

For Testament I'd be going for "D.N.R" and for The Crown I'd be saying "Crowned In Terror" or "World Below", while I'd be saying "The Jester Race" for In Flames.

BUT if I did all that I'd be kinda going outside the requested parameters of this thread. Same as I would be if I started recommending songs like "Rape Of Mankind" by Darkane who aren't a UM band. So I won't do any of that. Instead I'll choose between "Into The Never" by Brainstorm and "Enemy Within" by Arch Enemy.

On second thoughts..
evilgrin.gif
..i'll let you choose!
tongue.gif

Saxon, one oldschool kind from 1979, and one of their new stuff from 1999.

Saxon - Rainbow Theme/Forzen Rainbow (the oldschool) :cool:
Saxon - Sea of Life (one of my absolute favorites, the best ever I would say) :headbang:

Masterpieces

Reactions: ante
nafnikufesin said:
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I'm in the process of trying to track some of these songs down. And Suicide, you weren't kidding about it being a *long* song :D

Incidently, just to throw in my own recommendation here...if anyone hasn't heard Anthrax since John replaced Joey on vocals, they sound much different (and IMO much better...John Bush has an amazing voice for metal). Out of lots of songs to choose from, I'd recommend "Inside Out". A great song, maybe not their best, but a good example of what kind of what they can do.

(If anyone wants to swap an MP3 or two, PM me)

I know its no joke ... frankly, I'd pick Divine Wings of Tragedy ... but then Evolution is something that shows off the band's capabilities in a shorter song so I though that might appeal more, but DWOT is a song that encompasses the talent of the band neatly, but its far too long for a compilation CD so I'd though I'd provide an shorter alternative just so it is that much easier for you to take a pick.

Apart from the other songs of Dark Tranquillity that were mentioned, i would suggest "Lethe" and "Hedon" as their best. On the other hand, "ThereIn" is one of the songs that has attracted many people into them...

Siren (sorry if that was too many.)