One Year ...

The Black Death

WoY supporter
Jan 7, 2008
Burial ground... Quebec
Rest in Peace David Gold.

WoodsOfYpres-DavidGold.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
:( I'm pretty bummed that I didn't really get into WoY until after David died. My band is playing a gig tonight, I think i'm going to dedicate a song to him.

I came to this forum today with the intention of starting this thread. I should have known someone would have started it already. :)

Anyway, I can’t believe it’s been a year, and I can’t believe he’s still gone. It still doesn’t seem real, especially when I can pop in a Woods album and hear his voice anytime I want. Listening to his albums now has become a bittersweet experience. The music is so good, the emotion in the songs are charged to the max, but knowing he’s gone and no more music will be made is an unpleasant, yet real fact that can be a difficult pill to swallow. And it’s made all the more difficult by David’s close connection with fans both online and offline. I’m sure most everyone on this forum has talked with David directly on multiple occasions, and he was always cool as hell.

I miss David. I miss talking to him on here, and I wish he was touring and making more music. However, there is still the music, the light at the end of the tunnel if you will. David made 5 amazing albums in his short lifetime, a feat only a few can claim. That music will always exist, people will continue to discover it, and people like us will make sure it lives on. In a sense David will never die. He can’t. His soul is on those records, and anyone who has heard them knows this. The soul doesn’t die…

Rest in Peace, David Gold. You will be missed, but not forgotten.

- Matt

I wish there was something I could add, but it seems that all of my Brothers of the \W/oods have summed it up appropriately and respectfully.

Orc Adams... Dedicating a song to David would rule! I'll be there supporting your band tonight wearing one of my Woods shirts. Wish I could rock the Day Of The Equinox batman logo shirt but sadly my fat ass has graduated up the chain of metal from a size Medium to a size Large. Woods IV Pain and Piss shirt it is!

I've never posted on this board and it's been years since I've posted at all. However I needed to share what I am thinking.

Last year when we got the tragic news of David's passing, I fell into depression for several months. Although I never had the opportunity to communicate with David, I really connected to him through Woods. I started as a fan by seeing the video for "Northern Cold" when he first posted it on this forum. As much as I love his music, it was really the lyrics that constantly touched me. I'm sure many of you had this experience, but what David would write would also reflect what I was going through at the time. After his passing and Woods V came out was when I was most depressed. Woods V hit me harder than any release yet, every single song to me had some connection to my life whether it be work, family, lost love, death, relationships, etc. I felt like Woods V was about my life and it was hard to listen to cause I felt so much empathy towards David, and then I'd think, he's gone and will never experience the closure and reconnection he reaches for in the lyrics of his song and how that's it, the end. Damn, it kills me to think about it... every time....

But...I have been on a road to let go of the burdens in my life I've hung onto and reconnect all the broken relationships I have. Because of David I have been so inspired to live my life and go for the things I need most.

RIP David, we all miss you incredibly.

I've never posted on this board and it's been years since I've posted at all. However I needed to share what I am thinking.

Last year when we got the tragic news of David's passing, I fell into depression for several months. Although I never had the opportunity to communicate with David, I really connected to him through Woods. I started as a fan by seeing the video for "Northern Cold" when he first posted it on this forum. As much as I love his music, it was really the lyrics that constantly touched me. I'm sure many of you had this experience, but what David would write would also reflect what I was going through at the time. After his passing and Woods V came out was when I was most depressed. Woods V hit me harder than any release yet, every single song to me had some connection to my life whether it be work, family, lost love, death, relationships, etc. I felt like Woods V was about my life and it was hard to listen to cause I felt so much empathy towards David, and then I'd think, he's gone and will never experience the closure and reconnection he reaches for in the lyrics of his song and how that's it, the end. Damn, it kills me to think about it... every time....

But...I have been on a road to let go of the burdens in my life I've hung onto and reconnect all the broken relationships I have. Because of David I have been so inspired to live my life and go for the things I need most.

RIP David, we all miss you incredibly.

This post rules.

Thank you for sharing.

It's hard to believe a year has already passed. It's such a shame his time was so short, but as Matt said, he managed to do so much in the time that he had. It's really amazing how hard he worked and how much he accomplished. Yet, somehow he still found the time to come on here to talk with us, answer emails, and hand-write "thank you"s with all the packages he mailed out.

Rest in Peace, David.

Can I tell my story to you in this thread? It looks like the story of Skoll Ist Krieg at some moments...
I knew about Woods of Ypres in the beginning of this month. My friend just share with me the song "Kiss my Ashes (Goodbye)". And this song caught me at the first second. I was listening to the song after song, during half of this month. Finally I decided to find out more information about this band. And then I knew about David's death. It was little and personal wreck of my inner world. I never thought that the death of the person I never personally knew, can touch my soul so much and scar my heart... It is so sorrowful for me! And his songs now sound like prophecies.
Now I'm listening to "Keeper of the Ledger", writing this message and my eyes are full of tears. And I just can't do something with it. I'm listening to his music trying to be closer to David and Woods. I have not managed to do it when he was alive. May be now...
I feel so much pain, but at the same time I'm full of inspiration, David became my inspiration.

The fire still burns, when he is gone. His fire will burn in our hearts.
And I believe that legends never die. This legend will live forever in our hearts. The fire that he had lighted will always be blazing and bright.

David Gold, 1980 - ∞.

Can I tell my story to you in this thread? It looks like the story of Skoll Ist Krieg at some moments...
I knew about Woods of Ypres in the beginning of this month. My friend just share with me the song "Kiss my Ashes (Goodbye)". And this song caught me at the first second. I was listening to the song after song, during half of this month. Finally I decided to find out more information about this band. And then I knew about David's death. It was little and personal wreck of my inner world. I never thought that the death of the person I never personally knew, can touch my soul so much and scar my heart... It is so sorrowful for me! And his songs now sound like prophecies.
Now I'm listening to "Keeper of the Ledger", writing this message and my eyes are full of tears. And I just can't do something with it. I'm listening to his music trying to be closer to David and Woods. I have not managed to do it when he was alive. May be now...
I feel so much pain, but at the same time I'm full of inspiration, David became my inspiration.

The fire still burns, when he is gone. His fire will burn in our hearts.
And I believe that legends never die. This legend will live forever in our hearts. The fire that he had lighted will always be blazing and bright.

David Gold, 1980 - ∞.

Good post !
... And welcome to the Forum :)