Good Bye My Friend

WoY should NOT continue without David. anyone who was EVER a fan of the band would know that.

I'm listening to a radio station's tribute (2 1/2 hr long, including an interview with myself), and I'm in fucking pieces right now.

First log-in here since the terrible news. RIP David. :(

I posted this on his FB tribute page:

-I saw WoY play in both Calgary and Victoria a few times over the years. Nearly always got a chance to meet and chat with David at some point. He'd remember me with a smile and was always an easy person to approach and talk with. He really came across like a genuinely nice and humble guy. Perhaps even a little bemused that he had fans who wanted to meet him, lol. I'm definitely saddened that I won't have those great shows and little chats to look forward to anymore. As I'm writing this, I'm looking up at the little personalized thank you note he included with the Allure Of The Earth 7". It's all too difficult to believe...- Rock in peace, David. -

Also, someone is putting together a tribute show for David in Calgary on Feb 24th with proceeds to a charity, TBA. I think the bands have been picked out already, but if anyone here is interested in this event, you could try contacting the promoter:

http://www.albertametal.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22536

I don't think I've logged in here in the last 3 years or so. I'm still shocked at the loss. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

I'm not really one for idols, but while in high school David was just about as close to mine as I could imagine. I even did a written project for a music class on Woods when I was 17. Banged out The Sun...Part One on the bass and damn near gave the teacher a heart attack! I never really felt a personal connection to music like I did with Woods before or since then. Jeeze, even my mother knew who Dave was after his name showed up in the mailbox so many times!

It was such a great feeling to be able to chat back and forth with the mastermind behind my musical obsession. I still have the guitar string he sent me from the Woods III mailing list (which pretty much made my year. how cool was it for him to send us a little piece of the album? his devotion to his fans and to his music was truly admirable.) He had an innate ability to let you feel connected to him through his words even if you'd never met him. Maybe it's just me, but I think David's words spoke to his fans in a way no one else's could; maybe that's why were were fans.

Dave always wrote personal notes and honestly cared about his fans. An email to him or message board post would never go unanswered, and his reply would most likely end in \w/ - a symbol which fans will now always remember him by.

His memory will live on in the hearts of thousands of fans and friends worldwide. David touched the hearts of people around the world, even without meeting them.

Rest in Peace, David. I hope it's cold every day where you are.

This is absolute bull.
It's just not fair!? I sent him a message on LastFM, which by the way was meant to the entire band, where I thanked him for doing what he does. Woods of Ypres as a whole, has helped me through some of the toughest times of my life. Woods has been a soundtrack for my life for nearly 4 years now!
A big thanks to every single member of Woods and a special thanks to David.
That you'll be missed is a understatement.

Thanks for everything you gave me.

RIP David. You will be missed more than you ever know.

I dont know where I would be without your music. Your lyrics and songs mean so much to me and have gotten me through several tough times in my life. I only wish that you could have known what your music meant to me and Im willing to bet a large portion of people here feel the same. Ill see you rocking out on the other side someday I know it!

Still can't believe it.

I only discovered Woods a few weeks before the accident, when Metalsucks posted up the "Kiss My Ashes" stream. I heard it once and was hooked. I even messaged David over Lastfm just to say thanks for the kick-ass tunes and congrats on finally getting signed and getting some true recognition.

I don't think he ever saw that message. :(

Actually I have nothing really to add. It's just amazing how such a "small" band and such a young artist has moved so many hearts with their / his music and lyrics.
While 31 is a pretty young age to die it's great to see that David's short life had such a huge impact on others - even on people who are living on the other side of this planet like me.
What a great present we get with "Woods V" - and we can give nothing back...

RIP

I have a really odd story about this band and david gold passing. the day i heard of this band i was randomly cruising youtube as i normally do. i came upon the video for i was buried in mt. pleasant cemetary was blown away i instantly wanted to know everything i could about this band that had seemed to elude me up untill that point. unfortunatly the very first article i read was that david had passed that previous night on the gauntlets website. i really didnt know what to think that song and his death fitting together like that made me sad but also really creeped me out. i just thought i would share that with you guys its an odd feeling to go from super excited to just floored in that short time span. R.I.P david you and your band mates made a big impression on me hours after you passed its incredible.

I remember when the first ep hit and that they were selling "CD-Rs" for like 5 bucks. I held off from buying it and even a year or two later I wish I did. Their brand of black metal was how I wanted to play it. It fit in with Agalloch and Opeth to me. Though it was a bit different than both bands.

i'm from Italy.. i don't know nothing before about WoY, i discover them 2 days ago..
I did not know nothing about david' story his music and his death.. but in 2 days his music is in my soul and i'm sad that he is no more whit us..

Tanks David for the emotions you give me.

R.i.p.