Good Bye My Friend

Hey everyone. There's a lot of speculation on what happened. All the answers will someday be revealed, but for now, David's family asks that the fans just try and focus on his life, and not how he died, to honor him. It's a difficult time for them, and they want to get through all this holiday, and the service before details are reveled.

Please don't ask me in private, his family will reveal details when they wish.

Thank you Paul. It is natural for people to wonder, but it seems insensitive right now.

I haven't got a response from his sister yet, but maybe you know -- is there a way I could donate a small amount of money to his family? After all his music has done for me, I want to help the best I can.

Heh, just remembered that I had a decent convo with him at HC3, and expressed my feelings on how cool of a lad he was. I even recall buying the dear soul a brew, though everything else is hazy as I was blitzed out of my wits. R.I.P!

Once again, RIP David.

A sidenote to friends:

Now that Woods is in Earache's file cabinet, I don't think individuals can produce Woods memorial t-shirts legally (but of course, I have no idea.) I hope that either Earache or one of the great friends/fans on this forum will one day take the initiative to make some David Gold memorial t-shirts/ Woods t-shirts in which all the proceeds go to David's family for funeral costs and/or dedicated to a fund in his memory. I'd be the first on the list to purchase one or two.

Nice to see the love and respect folk had for David. Never posted here or met the man but still listen to Against the Seasons... and Pursuit of the Sun... quite a bit. By all accounts, he was a great guy. RIP

I think its pretty fucking cold to SPECULATE that David committed suicide. They had just been signed to Earache, had a pretty successful tour at the beginning of the summer, and the new album was just about to be released. It just doesn't make any sense and its fucked up that people would speculate and make idle guesses about how someone fucking died. Just wait for the official announcement (if there is one) instead of going around spreading drama and gossip. As for me I'm just remembering the good times and the good memories I have regarding Woods of Ypres and David Gold. We would all be better off if we did that instead of engaging in gossip like church wives. Some people need to fucking grow up. I'm going out tonight to party it up and hopefully gain some closure on this sad chapter. It is still so hard to listen to Woods V and I've only been able to make it all the way through twice.
Instead of speculating why don't we post about how his friendship/music affected us. As far as suicide goes I would probably be gone if it wasn't for Woods IV and the e-mails that David and I sent back and forth before and after I got the album. Seriously though my blood is fucking boiling about these cold rumours. Fuck em all. :kickass:

- Joel

From Marie on Facebook:

"Hey everyone; Davids Paypal account is davidypresgold@gmail.com Donations can be made to this account to cover funeral costs, and will also be used for merch orders. Anything is greatly appreciated by the family. I will be posting a list of all merch and costs after new years. If you have already sent an e-mail, please be patient as I address them individually. We appreciate all the support were receiving. Happy new year :)"

I think its pretty fucking cold to SPECULATE that David committed suicide. They had just been signed to Earache, had a pretty successful tour at the beginning of the summer, and the new album was just about to be released. It just doesn't make any sense and its fucked up that people would speculate and make idle guesses about how someone fucking died. Just wait for the official announcement (if there is one) instead of going around spreading drama and gossip. As for me I'm just remembering the good times and the good memories I have regarding Woods of Ypres and David Gold. We would all be better off if we did that instead of engaging in gossip like church wives. Some people need to fucking grow up. I'm going out tonight to party it up and hopefully gain some closure on this sad chapter. It is still so hard to listen to Woods V and I've only been able to make it all the way through twice.
Instead of speculating why don't we post about how his friendship/music affected us. As far as suicide goes I would probably be gone if it wasn't for Woods IV and the e-mails that David and I sent back and forth before and after I got the album. Seriously though my blood is fucking boiling about these cold rumours. Fuck em all. :kickass:

- Joel

i'm so glad someone said this, these are exactly my thoughts. i was tempted to say something along these lines but was afraid to come off as rude and disrespectful in such a delicate topic, also because i never posted on this board specifically.
kudos for this.

I first met David in 2001. He was jamming with a couple friends of mine (Aaron Palmer and Darryl Fletcher), and I got invited to hang out at one of their jam sessions.

At one point, David picked up a guitar and played a few riffs. I heard him play some heavy and interesting chords. Myself at the time, I only played single note riffs and power chords so I just had to find out what he was playing. David was more than happy to take a couple minutes to show me what he was playing.

One of the chord formations I learned that day (and mentally called it the "Dave Gold" chord from then on) was this : when playing a power chord on the A string, you also include a lower 5th on the E string. Example :

---
---
---
-9-
-7-
-7-

Making heavy metal, heavier. That's what DG did.

I moved away from Windsor, wasn't really following Woods, and years passed. It was around 2006/2007 that I started listening again. I remember seeing the cover art for Woods 3 on their myspace and thought it was cool as fuck. I started 'hanging out' on this forum, and eventually started helping Woods/David with myspace graphics, web banners, etc.

It was a pretty sweet set up. I was doing something I love (web & graphic design) for a band I was really getting into.

The next few years held some really rough times for me, and listening to Woods was the medication. I would put on my iPod, dial up some Woods, and just walk.

In 2009, my band got to open up for Woods at a show in Windsor. It was an honour and a blast.

Last week when I heard the news, I was in shock. I just couldn't believe it. Part of my brain knew I'd never see my friend again, but the rest of my brain just refused to accept it. Over the past couple years, every 6 months or so, I'd see David at shows (Woods, Gates, or just other shows he attended), but I had to come to terms with the fact that this wouldn't happen again.

As fans of Woods, and friends of David, at least we have his music to remember him by. And all the tour videos he posted on YouTube. It's almost like we can visit our old friend from time to time.

David, you were one of a kind and you will be missed.

Rest in peace.

\w/

My very late condolences to the family and friends. I personally never had the chance to meet the man but his music was and is a huge influence and inspiration in my life. You will be missed.