OnLive (AKA streaming gaming)

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
Get a load of this:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6206623/index.html?tag=feature;header

The summary is you're essentially remote-playing games running on a supercomputer somewhere else, so you can play Crysis in HD on a Macbook Air! Considering how unreliable my connection speed is where I currently am (cable, but in a college town), I wouldn't be too keen to have to rely on it for my gaming, but it's a pretty cool concept I'd say! (as is its competitor, OTOY)

I dont think that they will get this to work really good, ever.
I sure as hell dont want more latency on the mouse, keyboard AND the screen.

.. oh, and i wonder how they have compressed the videostream to those games, considering that an uncompressed AVI-recording of me playing insurgency takes about 650mb/sec(50fps). ;)

It's an interesting thing, and it's come up on an Aussie gaming forum I frequent. The basic low-down was 'not gonna happen in Oz for another few decades'. Not everyone has the blessings of a good national broadband infrastructure (or good national anything).

I hope the idea comes to fruition.. it seems really interesting, though I don't know if it appeals. I'm one of those who carries his own personal supercomputer around as an epenis extension mmhmm.

I don't see how this would work with thousands of players... I mean... FUCK, that's gotta be some super computer in that case :) The latency from sending the inputs from the user, to their computers, and the processing of the game and compression of the captured frames, and the resend... wow, it's gotta be noticable atleast. Can't imagine it being too fun to play FPS games like that but I think a lot of games would work, like puzzle games, maybe strategy... etc etc.

On a side note this 18 mb connection I just got is not doing much. The speed test says it works but I can't get a server to give me that. Not even 3 of it.

I wonder how US internet providers are going to take this. They're either going to be enraged by another apparent attempt for a company to make money off their 'pipes' without paying for the privilege, like Hulu, or they're going to drool over the idea of customers having even more reason to exceed their newly-implemented monthly usage limits and incur penalty charges.

' Currently, heavy hitters like Electronic Arts, Ubisoft, Take-Two, Warner Bros., THQ, Epic, Eidos, Atari, and Codemasters have all signed on to provide games from their PC stables. Should the experiment succeed, we imagine anything that comes out on the PC will be mirrored onto OnLive in short order.'

An employee of a Gamespot type company (I didn't quite catch the name) called into a radio show last night about a corporate meeting he'd been to on the subject of OnLive. He claimed that the bandwidth and lag for streamed gaming on PCs wouldn't be as high as for streamed video because "it isn't sending whole frames, just instruction code for the video card" * and that the game studios are only supporting streamed gaming in hope that it will kill off the secondhand game media market. Instead of first adopters buying a game as soon as it comes out, beating it and/or becoming bored by it, then selling it to a second wave of players (with zero profit going to the original manufacturer), the studios will continue to release new games on physical media, then follow up with OnLive versions up to six months later, specifically to make buying a used copy less appealing. "They have absolutely no intention of ever allowing access to the first-run games and code." He claimed. Grain of salt.

*[a BS-sounding distinction I didn't quite follow; I mean, when you get down to it, everything your computer displays is 1s and 0s cobbled into an image by the video card , eh?)]

edit: Coincidentally, I was reading an article earlier this week about how the rise of 'cloud apps' and cheap asian netbooks means that the only home users who will need to regularly pay for newer and better PC hardware are die hard gamers. (This article was obviously not in an audio recording or video editing magazine.) And if that OnLive press conference video isn't complete bullshit, maybe that market will begin to fizzle too. If Dell and Hewlett-Packard and ATI and Microsoft such can no longer count on gamers to buy the latest and greatest PCs and video cards because of OnLive, and the mainstream "check my email and watch YouTube, maybe open a spreadsheet" crowd continue defecting to no frills netbooks, would there still be enough profit in hardware to drive performance advancements?

Years and years ago I read about a guy who estimated the amount of hard drive space and performance that would be needed to make the average Star Trek spaceship possible to operate, then came up with a numerical representation of the current state of human technological advancement based on how many regular generational advancements away we are. If the PC industry loses grandmas, and business users, AND gamers, well golly -- I'll never have an Enterprise D parked in my driveway at this rate! :D

yaha - i was watching the site all day - i signed up to the beta the minute the site went live so i got a special email from onlive saying "ross...your number 1" ...."beta tester" haha

smug!

i really think this will work. i dont know about broadcasting out as far as ireland (i pretended i was in the USA) but from the news i've been watching, CNET updates from my mate working there and videos i've seen of it in action i can really see this working!

hopefully its cheap