Onslaught - Power From Hell

valgalder

Sep 19, 2002
Buffalo, NY
Another relic found at the archive of the college radio station. Tons of old vinyls there I dig through and play every week. This one is a thrash band from the 80's, I believe they were from the UK and released 2 or 3 albums. The good one is their debut, called Power From Hell.. its typical satanic imagry from the 80's, like Possessed, Celtic Frost style.. very evil and grim sounding. Not much is known about these guys it seems either. They have another LP there from their last album, but I guess they took a turn for the worse trying to turn commercial and it just didnt work. They had the guy from Grim Reaper doing vocals, and it just sucks. .Also an AC DC cover song on it! Ahg! .. forget that.. get Power From Hell! Classic!

Power From Hell is a great album (I have to get it on vinyl!), but I like the second album The Force, too. The songs here are longer but it's a good album still even though it might be boring to listen to too often because those long songs. I haven't heard any newer stuff from the band, but I doub't it's as good.

I also really like ONSLAUGHT 2nd CD "the force" really rips and is similar to 1st Slayer or Venom "Black Metal" material.

"Power From Hell" is really hard to find, I would buy it in a second if I could find one.

Thrash Metal Tormentor said:
Power From Hell is a great album (I have to get it on vinyl!), but I like the second album The Force, too. The songs here are longer but it's a good album still even though it might be boring to listen to too often because those long songs. I haven't heard any newer stuff from the band, but I doub't it's as good.
their last lp was in search of sanity which was truly awful,they were a really good bunch in the old days but we played with them after the last lp was released and they were absolute idiots,they had all their fake marshall cabs pushed to the front of the stage and we could barely get on,plus they wouldn't let either us or the other bands have any lights!!
if you liked onslaughts early stuff then you should like anihilated,my old band,we have rereleased our last lp on cd its been redited and digitally enhanced,its available from http://fullspeed.to/anihilated/

I think you are confused. Trukkie's band is not Annihilator, it's Anihilated from UK. I h avent heard them yet actually, but it sounds like my kind of stuff! Can't wait to hear.. you should re-release all the cds. I bet its impossible to find the LPs anymore.. i'll look through the station archive some more to see if I can find one :)

Please post some mp3 samples of your albums on the webpage soon, that would be greatly apprciated :)

valgalder said:
I think you are confused. Trukkie's band is not Annihilator, it's Anihilated from UK. I h avent heard them yet actually, but it sounds like my kind of stuff! Can't wait to hear.. you should re-release all the cds. I bet its impossible to find the LPs anymore.. i'll look through the station archive some more to see if I can find one /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

Please post some mp3 samples of your albums on the webpage soon, that would be greatly apprciated /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

Oh my you are right, I read that post a little too fast, sorry about that Trukkie..............they may both be great bands however
supergrin.gif

valgalder said:
I think you are confused. Trukkie's band is not Annihilator, it's Anihilated from UK. I h avent heard them yet actually, but it sounds like my kind of stuff! Can't wait to hear.. you should re-release all the cds. I bet its impossible to find the LPs anymore.. i'll look through the station archive some more to see if I can find one :)

Please post some mp3 samples of your albums on the webpage soon, that would be greatly apprciated :)
hi,the official website has mp3's but they are,at present only broadband compatible,we are working on getting them more accessible,there are some more mp3's available on our fansite which is shadows of fear,anihilated site,on google search engine.The lps can be found but the vinyl was poorly produced and the true sound was never available,the cd is far superior(obviously!!!!)we got ripped off for a lot of cash by metalworks and never got a penny!If you like bay area thrash with a bit of british metal thrown in then hopefully you will like us...below are a couple of quotes from reviews
ANIHILATED - The Ultimate Desecration re-release (1989-2002)
There was a time, not so long ago, when Thrash ruled the Metal scene. Almost everything released was from that genre and the major labels were sniffing everywhere looking to make quick money. For some strange reason, England never produced anything of note apart from SABBAT and very few others. Nobody ever understood the reason why... Not even the brittons! Well, among those rare English Thrash bands, there was one called ANIHILATED that released one album ("Created In Hate") around '87 that never drew big atention despite it's undeniable qualities. Subsequently, their next release (this one I'm reviewing), suffered a bit from the lack of projection, the overdose of bands using the "anihilation" theme (the 2394 ANNIHILATOR's, the 2243 ANIHILATION's, and others), and the inevitable downfall of the genre as a whole. Of course, the context of the era was a tough one for Thrash bands trying to break through, as there were 3423472385 releases monthly... But 13 years have passed and now Thrash is so lacking in good bands that there's a thirst for decent albums. And why not grab a title that didn't get the attention it deserved and re-release it to the hordes of Headbanger's drooling for some serious pain in the neck? That's where ANIHILATED's "The Ultimate Desecration" comes in! I gotta confess I never heard this album before, but it blew me away! Specially nowadays that this kind of "Bay Area" Thrash is pretty rare. Pretty technical, but without overdoing it, keeping the songs compact and smooth; aggressive as only Thrash bands can be (I even get hints once in a while of RAZOR vocalist Stace McLaren) AND melodic as only British bands can be (the NWOBHM legacy). Undoubtedly good! There really isn't any downside for true Thrash fanatics, really... So here goes a call to all the labels: someone please re-release this and give it proper distribution, will you? Thanks!
-Nuno Filipe Silva (aka Phil Mordred)
godly bay area thrash,a must buy 10 out of 10...metalcore webzine

thrash metal without comprimise 94%...metal coven website
we really appreciate the fans from over 13 years ago who keep writinf=g and emailing us and bugging us till we said "bugger it" we will rerelease the last lp...we have masters and demos of earlier releases too and if we get enough response from ultimate desecration we will cd the lot and let it rock from there!!

Necros said:
Oh my you are right, I read that post a little too fast, sorry about that Trukkie..............they may both be great bands however
supergrin.gif
hi necros,i liked annihilator too,although i found the vocals to be a bit too squeaky for my taste there was no denying the quality!! we were a bit more slayer meets venom than that,heavy and hard no comprimise but with some melody too....lovely!!