Open Answer Poll: What motivates you to buy an album? What promotion worked for you?

usaprogmusic

ProgPowerGRRL
I am trying to put together a proposal for the record label in getting funding to do some new promotional activities for the new Suspyre album. With the onslaught of social media out there: Facebook, Twitter, mySpace, YouTube, etc. there are so many possibilities to get Suspyre's music out there.

But I want to know from you, the already dedicated fans....what motivates you to buy an album? Is there anything you have seen a band do that just really wow'd you and made you want to go out and buy their album?

What social media promotional activities have "roped you in"? (i.e. a YouTube video, a Tweet, Facebook updates, etc.) Do you watch studio update videos from bands? Do you read everything your favorite bands post on Facebook, mySpace, their website?

Just trying to collect some information and get a feel for what will work for promotion for the next Susprye album. The sales were not terrible for When Time Fades....but we need to come up with some new ideas to really increase the fanbase :)

I'd love to hear your ideas!!

tough question. I'm off to bed right now so I have all night to sleep on it. Will have an answer for you in the morning. Hopefully a good one.

Of course, the obvious answer is........good music motivates me to buy an album.

:)

I'll have something better tomorrow, I promise!

What usually gets me to buy albums is when the band is actually good live as well. When a band plays their ass off on stage, is enjoying themselves, enjoying the performing of their music, etc. Like voodoo says, if the band totally blew me away the last time around I would usually get their next album as well. Apart from getting money for touring, that's not really what you asked though.

What I usually do, when I know a good band's got a new album coming up, I'll watch studio reports on youtube. Usually these reports contain snippets of music and that'll get me at least a small notion on how the album's going to turn out and whether it should be worth buying or not. That, and the fact that these studio reports are usually pretty funny, since most metalheads are nutcases :p
And cos movies are harder to make than a written piece, I also check up on written studio blogs, though usually not the ones written on myspace because I don't really like the myspace blogging system. I'd rather read a forum or website blog than a myspace blog.

I have to say that I don't twitter myself, though I have thought about it. Because I don't twitter myself, I don't regularly follow tweets either. Nowadays you can get your twitter updates reflected in your facebook updates though, or vice versa, which would catch my attention sooner than just the tweet alone.

I know that Suspyre has a street team, cos I'm a member of the myspace page, but so far I haven't really seen much activity from it. I believe a well coordinated and active street team can make a major difference, both in album sales and gig attendances. Perhaps it's an option to set up a seperate (free) forum somewhere and take inventory on who would be willing to do what, promote Suspyre where, and how to best promote Suspyre. Perhaps link it to a small reward, like a signed poster or something from the band, to motivate people. It shouldn't cost a lot of money, since you don't have to pay the fans to promote a great band. You'd only have to ship flyers/posters to people close to where the band's going to perform and perhaps posters/flyers to the members of the street team to promote the new album shortly before it comes out.

Thats my 2 cents, hope it helps!

Well, as I said last night this is a tough question. Lately I have been REALLY picky about new music. Haven't bought much at all - been listening to a lot of older stuff. Back when I used to review new albums it was easy to choose what I wanted and what I didn't want. I had a ton to choose from.
Since that part of my music life is over I think I would rely on a few different sources. First and foremost, current fans of a band. I frequent a couple of message boards and get a lot of feedback on a bunch bands, though some of it borders on spam which I ignore for the most part. If I read that band X, that sounds a lot like Band Z, just released album Y a week ago and it kicks ass I will check out samples and go from there.

I also listen to some internet radio that exposes me to new bands. That's how I found out about Suspyre and Spheric Universe Experience (beyondearcandy.com).

But with the way technology is today, and the way the world communicates, I think it would be detrimental to a band to avoid video or audio teasers. I've never done it so I don't know the work involved but a 90 second youtube teaser could make a huge difference to me. Doesn't even have to be finished product to get me excited about a new release. I think I would be happy to see the band goofing off or setting up the drums in the studio, or Gregg discussing the direction a certain song is taking, etc. Twitter can be useful, too. Saw the post yesterday about the studio construction update and got excited at the thought of new Suspyre material. Stuff like that can go a long way. It helps the audience, or potential audience, not lose sight of the band or lose interest.

For example, the band Beyond Twilight. I absolutely loved the last album For the Love of Art and the Making. For a long time after I got that I checked around for any updates or news I could find but Fin (leader of the band) basically fell off the face of the earth. I had heard NOTHING for so long that I gave up. I might not even notice if the band released anything new.

I think there is a fine line between staying in touch with the fans and keeping them informed of progress, and spam. I HATED it when at my old website Livingformetal.com we would get spammers trying to promote a band and go overboard. A post here and there is fine and duely noted, but when a user makes a new post everytime the drummer blows his nose is just plain annoying, and I lose interest. It reaks of desperation. So maybe leak a little bit of information at a time to keep up interest without suffocating potential listeners. As I said earlier, short teasers can go a long way.

Last year Dream Theater released a CD of cover songs as part of a special edition of Black Clouds and Silver Linings. Before the CD was actually released I think their label released a digital version of each of the 6 songs, one per week for 6 weeks, until the official release date. Good marketing ploy, I think. Drummed up interest and gave the listeners something small before the official release.

Hope my thoughts provide some help. I may have rambled a bit - sorry :( but I want only the best for the band.

I also listen to some internet radio that exposes me to new bands. That's how I found out about Suspyre and Spheric Universe Experience (beyondearcandy.com).

Internet radio! Awesome idea there. I think the guys from Progulus (Progpower Europe regulars!) wouldn't mind doing a bit of promotion here and there either, if you send them a promo and perhaps give them the opportunity for an interview or so.