What motivates you to write music?

Desire to create something bigger and more important than I actually am.
Hate and negative feelings are a good inspiration tool, too.

I'm very surprise about seing such a lot of romantic spirits on this board, needing to feel bad or on high to write stuff.
I personnaly need to be very concentrated and focused, rested and lucid. I need to feel very peaceful so that I can rationaly destroy the world :devil:

The anticipative perspective of other people liking it !

This. There's also the awesome feeling when you just finished a song and feel like you just wrote one of the best songs ever....but that only lasts a day or two before you realize it's just an average track ;).

It's been a while now though that I find it hard to find motivation to write music. A few people saying "wow, that's cool" doesn't cut it anymore for me.

meshuggah-nothing.jpg

Women, movies, getting drunk and even more, being hung over. I also get tons of ideas from non-metal music and to try to incorporate them with my metal songs.

1- Good tone. Very important.
2- inspiration from another source; ex. other music, a movie, a thought, an experience.. you get the picture.
3- A peaceful state. So far i havent written when angry or down.
4- Being in a nice place helps ex when going to the mountains, smell man, smell inspires me! Like that of trees etc. Not in a romantic way haha. Just puts me in a weird silent state.

Of course some of thee points are related.

Now what makes it really hard for me to write music:
- Perfectionism and the unwillingness of committing to a CHOICE when there are so many. These two things are very dangerous and useless and i now find myself trying to avoid them like the plague.
And its not easy

Now what makes it really hard for me to write music:
- Perfectionism and the unwillingness of committing to a CHOICE when there are so many. These two things are very dangerous and useless and i now find myself trying to avoid them like the plague.
And its not easy

i'm actually feeling the same as you. I'm now trying not to avoid these things, because I find them somewhat counterproductive. Sometimes, committing to the choice makes you go further in the songwriting/production because you only think ahead. So I don't agree on what you say, I don't think it's dangerous or useless, it's just plain natural.

I sort of try to accept something is not 100% perfect and move on. I decided that when I realized I spend 20% of the time creating 80% of the material, and the other 80% of time to do the 20% polishing :) Well, don't know the numbers but you get the idea.

Inspiration just hits me at the strangest times, usually when I'm a bit restless. I usually proceed to jam out a few riffs, if I hate them a half hour later I write them down and probably never use them again, but if I still think they're cool I usually write a song from them.

i power up my pc, start up superior 2 with some programmed grooves, then plug in the guitar, sounds like shit, strings are old, guitar is not in tune, programmend drums sound like shit, i turn off the pc again :(

^^

We are on the same boat. :D Plus, add a pair of headphones as the sound source.

I usually write my best songs when I'm aggressive or depressed. Which, I need to argue with my girlfriend, a bad day at work or some cloudy cold weather. None of them exist in my life since a while, so I end up with cheesy shitty riffs. God I need some chaos. :lol:

i'm actually feeling the same as you. I'm now trying not to avoid these things, because I find them somewhat counterproductive. Sometimes, committing to the choice makes you go further in the songwriting/production because you only think ahead. So I don't agree on what you say, I don't think it's dangerous or useless, it's just plain natural.

I sort of try to accept something is not 100% perfect and move on. I decided that when I realized I spend 20% of the time creating 80% of the material, and the other 80% of time to do the 20% polishing :) Well, don't know the numbers but you get the idea.

Yes i hear you man. In fact when i was writing it the thought on the back of my head is that it is wrong to AVOID something. Theres probably a better way to deal with it starting with acceptance - like you said - that things are not always as good as they can be.
I still need to work on that though.. I am "scheduled" to write pretty soon so ill sure know where i am in regards to that issue when that time comes.

Later man (btw i miss France :kickass: )