Open back Headphones for mixing

abt

BT
Aug 1, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I like to use headphones to check mixes. I've currently got a pair of Sennheiser HD280 (freebies) they're not great, pretty fatiguing and uncomfortable to wear.

I'd like to get some new ones because my room, although I've treated it, it's not great, I think better cans could be good supplementary monitoring. (Wishful thinking?)

How do open backs compare to monitors and closed back headphones? Are they the go over closed backs?

I was looking at the AKG K702 or Sennheiser HD600 (I'm not sure that I want another pair of Sennheisers) sort of price range and caliber. Is it worth spending this kind of money or am I not going to get that much more out of them?

I'm not finding too many people selling them near me. What makes them better? From all accounts they're basically the same except for the cable. TBH I like the detachable cable, replacing cables has caused me grief in the past.

Tiny little variances in the sound - transients on the K701's are just that little bit nicer than the others. Q701's have a smidgeon more lower mids than the the K's, and a slightly smoother top end. I bought the Q701's for referencing purposes, though I'd take the K701's for listening.

you might consider adding ultrasone pro2900 to your list. they are great headphones.

I have around 20 sets of headphones (ranging from $22 to $500) and to me the best for mixing are my Sennheiser HD600's. I have a set if HD280's for tracking and IMO thats all they are good for (they are so uncomfortable). Second to the HD600's are my new KRK's. But hands down the HD600's are so comfortable and sound fantastic. You could leave them on for 24 hours with no discomfort. So dont let the 280's ruin the Sennheiser name. Hell I have a few of the HD202's and those, to me, at $22 are fantastic for general listening to music and tracking.