Opeth at Download festival 2006

Kir-ir-Bannog

...no ordinary rabbit
Jul 2, 2004
Cambridge, UK
Just got a SMS from a friend at download who watched the opeth set.

He said it was fucking AWFUL. Apparently, the sound was woeful and the guitars were inaudiable. In fact they stopped working half way through deliverance and so they just stopped playing altogether.

They played four tracks....thats about all i know....im wondering what else they played, perhaps someone can verify what my friend said....
Im so glad i didnt shell out 135 quid, to see my favourite band play for 45 mins and have to endure piss poor sound. I knew download would screw it up (as they did in 2004 when i went). I feel sorry for the guys, thats 2 times they've played at download and both times, the sound has been dreadful.

Bring on November!

Your friend must have been stood at the back or something because I thought it sounded fine. The first song was a little bass heavy but after that it sounded really good.

4 songs is where Download sucked, they gave Opeth a 40 minute set, they gave Down a 40 minute set and then they let Axl Rose fuck about on the stage for 2 hours. This is why everyone rioted and decided to tear the place to peices.

But yeah, Opeth were damn good, mate. I'm off to see them in Manchester this year.

prowlergrig said:
^what did they play? and why did they stop during deliverance?
Kir-ir-Bannog said:
the guitars were inaudiable. In fact they stopped working half way through deliverance and so they just stopped playing altogether.
now...

This is why everyone rioted and decided to tear the place to peices.
there was a riot?

I was there and Opeth were still awesome, even though there were setbacks. The reason they stopped playing during Deliverance was because Peter's string snapped.:mad:

The crowd were very patient with them. In fact, the crowd bloody loved them. We were lucky enough to be standing near the front.

I was also disappointed that they could only play for 40 minutes and I also think Mr Akerfeldt was because he could not crack many of his corny jokes!!!!:lol: This was the 2nd time we have seen Opeth live and they kicked-ass both times. We've got tickets to see them again in November. Can't wait!!!!

They may not have had the grand lighting and fireworks that Metallica had, but they don't need all that shit to put on a great show anyway.:headbang: :kickass: :Smokin: :worship:

Big festivals are all abou drinking and hanging out with watching bands in the background.. making an effort, of course, for the bands you really want to see... therefore playing a festival is very different to playing a headlining gig at a specific venue. I still wish I was there though.

vixenrouge said:
I was there and Opeth were still awesome, even though there were setbacks. The reason they stopped playing during Deliverance was because Peter's string snapped.:mad:

The crowd were very patient with them. In fact, the crowd bloody loved them. We were lucky enough to be standing near the front.

I was also disappointed that they could only play for 40 minutes and I also think Mr Akerfeldt was because he could not crack many of his corny jokes!!!!:lol: This was the 2nd time we have seen Opeth live and they kicked-ass both times. We've got tickets to see them again in November. Can't wait!!!!

They may not have had the grand lighting and fireworks that Metallica had, but they don't need all that shit to put on a great show anyway.:headbang: :kickass: :Smokin: :worship:
Yeah it was a nice little Opeth set, and the sound wasn't that bad, and they did well re-starting Deliverance half way through the song! The set-list in full was: The Grand Conjuration, Closure, The Leper Affinity, Deliverance. So not a bad set at all.:headbang:

yea ur mate must have forgot his hearing aid , I didnt go right at the front, i stood back a bit and it sounded perfect, more than that it was the clearest band all weekend. Perfect, i nearly cried