Opeth@InfernoFestival

buman

New Metal Member
Sep 30, 2001
Oslo
www.buman.net
..was my first Opeth live experience, and it was fucking awesome
headbob.gif
Beeing drunk as hell I remember these songs: Advent, Drapery Falls, Deliverance, A Fair Judgement and finally the greatest song of all...DEMON OF THE FALL! For those of you who saw the streaming or attended the show, please fill in/correct me. The only negative thing I have to point out is the sound at start of the show. A fucking sound jumble the first minutes but it got better. Mikael's clean voice sounded really bad.

But they played only for about an hour, which sucked. I was definately ready for more Opeth. But I guess every band only got an hour placed at their disposal. It was the same thing with Sirenia.

ZTV - a norwegian channel - covers this years festival featuring interviews and clips from the shows. Will be broadcasted in about 2 weeks from now. Maybe a chance to see some more Opeth on television...(Yes I'll tape it...)

If I'm not mistaken, videos from the streamed shows will be available on NRK.Upunkt's pages for download, sometime in the near future. Here:
http://www.nrk.no/magasin/upunkt/musikk/inferno_2003/2575869.html

I was there too, and it was great. I was positioned at the best place possible, right in front of the mixer.
This was the setlist:

1. Godhead's Lament
2. Advent
3. Deliverance
4. The Drapery Falls
5. A Fair Judgement
6. Demon of the Fall

Just six songs... :( Or am I forgetting one? Last night I thought they played seven.

Anyway, Mikael promised to come back :D

Good concert, but they were a bit held back by the time-restrictions.
60 mins is not enough for Opeth, and I'm very surprised they weren't headlining this festival, cause the Headliners got 75 mins each.

I talked to Mike after the show, and he said he enjoyed the crowd and they will be back in the fall with a "calm" tour based around Damnation and some of the old calm songs.

katatoniaweb said:
Good concert, but they were a bit held back by the time-restrictions.
60 mins is not enough for Opeth, and I'm very surprised they weren't headlining this festival, cause the Headliners got 75 mins each.

I can't really picture Opeth headlining the inferno, they're just
not tr00 enough (forget kovenant for a second! hehe) >:eek:)

I really want to see Opeth NOT play a festival, which will give
them more time; which means more songs for us! >;o)

A great concert indeed! This time I decided not to do any
moshing, so I was headbanging up on the balcony and having
a really good time! The guys played with no errors, though
Martin tried to fill in a bit too much with his drumming every
now and then! hehe...

Mikael had some problems with his clean vox, but damn, the
man can sing!!! :eek:) I can't wait for the Damnation tour! NOT
at a festival!!! hehe...

I'll post my pics tomorrow or something, I don't have time at
the moment, have to get ready for tonight's bands! :eek:) In the
meantime you'll find pics at this location -->
http://www.scapegoat.no/inferno/ (at the bottom) and
here's one that I took, posted at musiq.no :eek:)
opethinfernob.jpg

I watched the stream of it from the Inferno website.

It sounded terrific, and the band was great(Mikael's clean vox sounded pretty OK for the most part to me.), but the lighting was just so terrible. There'd be quite a few times where it'd look like total darkness.

The guys played with no errors, though
Martin tried to fill in a bit too much with his drumming every
now and then!

I have to disagree on this one; they made plenty of errors, especially during the first song "Godhead's Lament". In several parts of the song the false tones really disturbed me. Martin's fills seemed a little random at times, not as tight as on the albums (not that it really matters), perhaps he was drunk or wasted or something.

There'd be quite a few times where it'd look like total darkness.

That would be the cameras; there was never "total" darkness. Except Immortal an hour later o_O

Dem0n0fTheFall4 said:
how do i view the stream of Opeth? I can't find it anywhere

The stream of the show was just there when they played live.
I think they will make it available again in not all too long...

Metalmaster said:
I have to disagree on this one; they made plenty of errors, especially during the first song "Godhead's Lament". In several parts of the song the false tones really disturbed me. Martin's fills seemed a little random at times, not as tight as on the albums (not that it really matters), perhaps he was drunk or wasted or something.

Aha! Well, during "Godhead's Lament" I was 1 meter away from
the band, taking pics like a madwoman! >:eek:P hehe... I didn't even
hear the soundproblems all the people were talking about after the
show. The sound really suck right in front of stage, that's why I
was in a real hurry to get to the back again... :eek:)

The sound really suck right in front of stage, that's why I
was in a real hurry to get to the back again... :eek:)

If that icon is a picture of you, I do think I saw you there.. :) Are you going to Katatonia/Daylight Dies as well? And will you publish any of your pictures online??!?

Metalmaster said:
If that icon is a picture of you, I do think I saw you there.. :) Are you going to Katatonia/Daylight Dies as well? And will you publish any of your pictures online??!?

Hm, seems like I was hard to miss there in the pit, hehe... ;oP
Yeah, my avi is me :eek:)

I'll be seeing Katatonia, most definitely, and yeah I will post
my pics online, gimme some time and I'll have them up! :eek:)