Opeth - best album of the year

A

alexseretis

i think that this one and the new Emperor are the best albums for the year 2001...What do u guys think of that??
What is your favourite album for 2001?

p.s. Warrel...sing to the new Control Denied album to make it a masterpiece...

BEST:
Iced Earth - Horror Show
Dimmu Borgir - PEM
Emperor - Prometheus
Megadeth - TWNAH
Sevendust - Animosity
Bruce Dickinson - Best of 2cd
Paradise Lost - Believe in Nothing
Tool - Lateralus
Zyklon - World ov Worms (sampled some tracks...this owns; still have to purchase it)

WORST ALBUM BY FAR:
Slayer - God Hates Us All (GOD HELP US RETIRE)

RUNNER UP IN WORST OF CATEGORY:
Opeth - Blackwater Park (the most mundane record ever produced...put Opeth albums on to catch some sleep)

Destiny's End - Transition
Jag Panzer - Mechanized Warfare
Threshold - Hypothetical
Kamelot - Karma
Judas Priest - Demolition
and...
and...

i 'll remember the rest later!:D

Iced Earth - Horror Show (VERY GOOD BUT CERTAINLY NOT AMONG THE BEST)
Dimmu Borgir - PEM (I AGREE WITH YOU)
Emperor - Prometheus (NO QUESTION ABOUT THE GODS...)
Megadeth - TWNAH (R U KIDDING ME?? THE WORST ALBUM THEY EVER MADE...NO INSPIRATION AT ALL AND NO IDEAS!!)
Sevendust - Animosity (DIDN'T LISTNE TO THIS ONE...)
Bruce Dickinson - Best of 2cd (THE GOD IS ALWAYS A GOD)
Paradise Lost - Believe in Nothing (NO WAY!! JUST GOOD)
Tool - Lateralus (GREAT ALBUM...)
Zyklon - World ov Worms (sampled some tracks...this owns; still have to purchase it)
(A BIT TIRING...)

WORST ALBUM BY FAR:
Slayer - God Hates Us All (GOD HELP US RETIRE)
I WOULD ADD MEGADETH HERE TOO

Opeth - Blackwater Park (the most mundane record ever produced...put Opeth albums on to catch some sleep)
THIS ALBUM IS FOR REALLY FEW EARS YOU KNOW...U HAVE TO BE REALLY SMART TO UNDERSTAND THE MUSIC PLAYED HERE...

Originally posted by alexseretis

THIS ALBUM IS FOR REALLY FEW EARS YOU KNOW...U HAVE TO BE REALLY SMART TO UNDERSTAND THE MUSIC PLAYED HERE...

Excuse me Einstein. I owned every album of theirs, from Orchid on up to Blackwater Park and recently sold them all back as I realized I never listened to them any longer and had a distaste for them in general. Their best work is on Still Life, but even that is extremely mundane and lackluster. I understand completely what Opeth is about. Excellent musicianship, epic mid to low tempo songs, great lyrics...one thing though...none of it translates into the music, which is horrid at best. I guess you are simply a genius because you enjoy their albums...oh sorry...you "understand" them :rolleyes: Give me a break.

Also, did my list say "great albums?" No, rather it said BEST OF 2001. This year was pure shit for metal, so in essence this is a list of the best of the worst imo.

As for Megadeth's TWNAH, I agree, it isn't Rust in Peace or anything, but horrible? I think not. Recipe for Hate...Warhorse, Disconnect, and Burning Bridges are excellent tracks. Yes, I wish they would actually finish songs (right when the track is going to go somewhere, it ends...poor) as in the old days, but to label this horrible is just ridiculous.

I guess you just have to be SMART to understand TWNAH :err:

L8rs,
DavE

when opeth was onstage before nevermore, playing those epic ten minute songs... i wanted nothing more than their set to get over with. my impatience probably had something to do with the fact that it was two in the morning though.
i eventually bought blackwater park, and enjoy it very much. i wish i'd had a little opeth background before having seen them live...
i believe, however, that if one had to be 'really smart' to understand opeth... this band would have very few to no fans.
anyway... best of picks
dimmu borgir - PEM
zyklon - world ov worms
opeth - blackwater park (and i only consider myself to be moderately intelligent)
emperor - prometheus
evoken - quietus

boltthrower...honor-valour-pride 2001

get it, its the best power metal fromthe uk, you bloody girl for liking OPETH. They use fast morse code beeps to message the fans when you listen with the headphones, a freak out...the most amazing thing i have heard since i was in 4th grade, since DP-MACHINE HEAD.

paradise lost had a new one, wow, have to get that...have to shoplift it.

the last megadeth album is shit...nothing more...nothing less!
the riffs are at least simple...even stupid i might say...

as for opeth th word "understand" does not only refer to get the point of the way they make their songs...but it also refers to the feeling of their music and the way songs evaluate through their entire duration. And Opeth do that in a very special way that most listeners cannot get or they are not used in it...

Concerning Megadeth there is not much inteligence needed to understand that mustaine - who is an excellent musician and almost perfect metal guitar player - sat down and wrote the material for the record in a couple of weeks or decided to come back in metal just to sell again some more albums after the disgusting Risk shit which dissapointed everyone.

Destiny's End- Transition
Emperor- Prometheus
Dimmu Borgir- PEM

were my standouts of the year, but some other great shit as well... really I wasn't impressed too much this year, maybe because the Nevermore machine didn't release anything new, 2002 will be good, looking forward to EoR

WILL probably SOUN DLIKE THIS

Tool- Lateralus

a druggie mess...

I would appreciate the members to brief us onthe developments.

TOO END ALL...

yeah he has done the punk/metal thing for too long...

WHY DOESN'T HE JUST DO SOMETHING ELSE, LIKE I.T OR SOEMTHING...

DANE'S only it forhe trips, I recon

Originally posted by alexseretis
the last megadeth album is shit...nothing more...nothing less!
the riffs are at least simple...even stupid i might say...

as for opeth th word "understand" does not only refer to get the point of the way they make their songs...but it also refers to the feeling of their music and the way songs evaluate through their entire duration. And Opeth do that in a very special way that most listeners cannot get or they are not used in it...

Concerning Megadeth there is not much inteligence needed to understand that mustaine - who is an excellent musician and almost perfect metal guitar player - sat down and wrote the material for the record in a couple of weeks or decided to come back in metal just to sell again some more albums after the disgusting Risk shit which dissapointed everyone.

I didn't know complexity was a prereq for excellent music. By all means, TWNAH is simplistic...does that make it poor? I think not. I for one was not disappointed by Risk as I thought it was an interesting, raw, creative album for a band that was not supposed to be able to write such music.

As for Opeth, I understand what they are attempting to do. The music just fails to grab my attention. The musicians attempt to take the listener on a rollercoaster ride of mood swings and emotions. I for one want to either puke once on the coaster, or will ride the coaster and never get in line again.

Intelligence truly has nothing to do with interpreting music (other than in conjunction with understanding the lyrics/definitions). Perhaps Opeth's next effort (a 2cd release; one heavier/up tempo and one mundane/slow record) will evidence their abilities. I just don't enjoy listening to music which never seems to go anywhere...Opeth fits into this category as their songs are excessively slow (almost to the point of making me vomit from boredom) and seem to end suddenly after several minutes of minute progressions. Fantomas also exemplifies this concept. Excellent muscianship, high amounts of creativity, and complex drum fills/riffs. Once again this does not translate into the music though (which bites hard imo).

Music is about subjectivity, not objectivity. Merely because one's opinion does not fit into your subjective ideal definition of what is "good" and "bad" does not mean that it is wrong, it just means that it is different.

L8rs,
DavE

The music just fails to grab my attention. The musicians attempt to take the listener on a rollercoaster ride of mood swings and emotions. I for one want to either puke once on the coaster, or will ride the coaster and never get in line again.

question

WHATS BETTER THE PRODUCTIONOR THE BAND???
metaliicas $1million hint

Originally posted by true light
The music just fails to grab my attention. The musicians attempt to take the listener on a rollercoaster ride of mood swings and emotions. I for one want to either puke once on the coaster, or will ride the coaster and never get in line again.

question

WHATS BETTER THE PRODUCTIONOR THE BAND???
metaliicas $1million hint

Well their last two or three releases have been all about production. I do think they are a talented band, but I just don't enjoy listening to the music they manufacture.

best album = Opeth: Blackwater Park

Dimmu Borgir close behind.

Opeth is my #1 favorite band, and Nevermore is right behind. It's interesting to come here and see some Opeth bashing - oh well, it's all a matter of taste anyways.

I find Nevermore as "intelligent" as bands like Queensryche, which are amazing, albiet different than Opeth. Opeth does go for the epic style, as Nevermore and most other bands can do it in 5 minutes.