Opeth - Damnation

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Opeth - Damnation
2003 - Koch Records
By Philip Whitehouse

Go to the Opeth website (As if you haven't all got it bookmarked...)

Since I first began writing for Ultimate Metal, I've been waiting for the chance to review an Opeth album - but I wasn't expecting it to be for this particular release. Reportedly, Mikael Akerfeldt was extremely nervous in the run-up to the release of Damnation - he was concerned about how Opeth fans would take this expression of Opeth's 'other' influences, and even went as far as to say that he wouldn't read any reviews of the album as a result of this apprehension. Well, considering how nervous I feel about getting this review right, I can only pity what the poor man had to go through.

It's fair to say, however, that he had nothing to worry about. A companion piece of sorts to the album previous to this, 'Deliverance', 'Damnation' is a one-off departure from Opeth's traditional sound (if such a word can be used to describe so unique a band) - a jettisoning of the death metal, harsh screams and fast-tempo sections in favour of concentration on the mellower aspects of their sound. The result is what sounds like a progressive rock album that would have sat equally as well in the mid 70s as it does in the contemporary music world. The inclusion of grand pianos, Fender Rhodes, mellotron and Middle Eastern influences (particularly prevalent on 'Closure') coupled with a more old-school production place the music in the retro canon, but at the same time the distinct personality and character that Opeth manage to bring to all of their releases means that, despite the reference points (Pink Floyd, Camel, a touch of King Crimson and ELP), this is unmistakably an Opeth album.

My initial concern was that Opeth's main strength was in their ability to blend the seemingly disparate threads of extreme metal and mellow acoustic rock, that their spark came from their ability to almost flawlessly bridge this dichotomy, and that the polarising of one aspect of their sound for an entire album would lead to an indifferent collection of songs lacking in variety. However, the atmosphere and restraint brought forth in this album silenced my concerns. The gentler pace and more relaxed feel allow the musicians to shine without having to force themselves - note the tasteful, well-time drum fills throughout, or the languid but melodic bass lines that guide the music. Mikael himself displays a talent for clean singing that was previously only hinted at, and his lyricism is as intriguingly metaphoric and evocative as it is perfectly phrased to the songs.

Extreme metal fans may turn up their nose at this release, and I've noticed that several Opeth fans have been disappointed (perhaps seeing this as a signal of a permanent change in style rather than the one-off experiment that Opeth assure us it is). However, I'd urge everyone to give this album at least a chance - the melancholic and haunting atmosphere within is a pleasure to lose yourself in, and there are few bands out there who can make such a musical about-face without compromising their integrity or raising questions about their intentions.

10/10

I dig the album, but my problem with it is that Deliverance is more a complete album and Damnation plays more like an "extras" disc.

I think if the two ended up a double album, and the Damnation tracks were interspersed within the Deliverance tracks, it would work better.

I think the original concept was for Deliverance and Damnation to be a double album, but Opeth realised that people might not dig an entire disc of mellow acoustic proggery and end up spending extra on a disc they wouldn't listen to - so they seperated the two and let us make our own mind up whether to buy it or not.

Bloody good question... I know that Blackwater Park sold four times as many copies as the previous album, Still Life, so one would assume that Deliverance has followed that trend... whether such a left-field experiment as Damnation would follow such a pattern is something that would be interesting to track... but for all these musings on the commercial viability of this album, its artistic worth is still more of a concern here. :)

Actually I think Damnation is their highest selling album to date.

Don't blame Opeth for wanting to release these albums seperately, their record label wanted to release them seperately because it would be lost revenue for them to sell two full length albums for the price of one.

Afairjudgement, I wasn't blaming Opeth for anything - my comments were intended in a positive sense - and from the interviews and information I've read from Mikael and the rest of the Opeth camp (even before the release of Deliverance), the decision to seperate the discs was theirs, not the record label's. Of course if anyone has any direct quotes, press releases or label information to the contrary, I'll be happy to consider myself corrected.

Although this album has been hailed, particularly in this review, I'd be interested to see how many people are still listening to it?

You see, I think longevity counts for a lot, and Damnation just doesn't have any to me. Yes it's good, but it died a death after a weeks worth of listening. On the flip side, I probably listen to Orchid the most...

I bought this album pretty much as soon as it came out, and I've listened to it on a more or less daily basis since it came out - in fact, the only albums I've been listening to recently are Katatonia's Viva Emptiness, Isis - Oceanic, and Damnation. Deliverance had less longevity in my opinion, because it seemed like for the first time Opeth were playing it safe - they'd found their formula which had worked for Still Life and Blackwater Park in particular, and stuck pretty rigidly to it.

Brilliance. Opeth have registered themselves before the shadows of death and life. This album demon-strates their abilty to decapitate all that oppose.

Nice review. Yes, Opeth again leaves all other metal bands in their creative wake...this album and Nevermore's Enemies (...too bad about the production) are on my top ten for 2003....