Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
Hades - DamNation
Metal Blade - 2001
By Rodrigo

/images/covers/Hades.jpg

One of the best things about this gig is the opportunity to listen to so many CD’s and most of them end up being enjoyable. However, every once in a while an album comes out that ends up being pure torture to listen to. Hades’s new album DamNation is that sort of album. Hades is a speed/trash metal band from the US and while I am sure there are plenty of fans of this music, I certainly am not.

There are several problems I have with DamNation. The first one being is that basically all the songs sound the same. By this I mean that the song structures are very predictable and repetitive throughout the album. Basically, the song starts off with an intro, then the verse, the first chorus, the second verse, and the second chorus, a guitar solo and so on. It’s not that this is bad but the fact that the same guitar riffs are being played over and over in the entire song is pretty boring. Plus, the drumming is not really creative or exciting.

The second problem I have is with Alan Tecchio’s vocals. He mostly sings in a rough style, but occasionally he might belt out some soaring vocal lines that are down right annoying. The only song that I really liked musically was "Absorbed". The bass line in intro is cool as well as the guitars that follow it but once Alan starts singing I immediately cringe.

Finally, while the majority of DamNation is fast paced there are some songs like "Force Quit", "This I Know" and "Stop and Go" that are in a slow tedious chugging pace. So when you mix this slow tempo with Alan’s vocals you get a creation that is worse than listening to country music.

So like I said before, this album is just not for me and there are probably plenty of people excited to hear DamNation. But I have to believe that there are better albums in this genre than this one. Unless you know what you are getting into I highly recommend that you avoid DamNation.