Opeth fan wanting katatonia recomendations

Rocky Raccoon

I am the Walrus
Feb 24, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Hi guys

Pretty self-explantatory thread, Im new to katatonia, haven't heard anything by them, I love Opeth though & want some more good bands to listen to.. What albums/songs can you recommend?? Dance of December souls is in my local CD shop 2nd hand.. Is this a good start??

Cheers :)

To be honest....I dont think you could just get one alblum of Katatonia and figure out what they sound like....they have grown so much with every alblum I dont think that any ONE of them will do them justice......I would go ahead and get Dance Of December Souls....but dont just base your opinion on that one alblum.....to get a feeling for how they have progressed, my suggestion would be to get (after dance of december souls) Brave Murder day.....then Discouraged ones.....then Tonights Decision....then Last Fair deal Gone Down.....then Viva Emptiness......not necessarily in that order.....

Reece

I was actually kind of in the same position a few day ago and I ended up getting Viva Emptiness for some reason. I heard some songs from Brave Murder Day and they were pretty damn good as well. So....from one Opeth fan who doesn't know anything about Katatonia to another, I'd recommend Viva Emptiness or Brave Murder Day

I like Mike's vocals on BMD a lot more than his vocals on Opeth albums except Orchid and maybe SL :) So maybe starting with BMD would be a cool idea, the music's fuckin good too!

Brave Murder Day easily, then try Discouraged Ones.

I personally don't like ANY of Katatonia's material after Discouraged Ones, and I'm an opeth fan.

IF you have to start out with a few I'd say discouraged ones, tonight's decision, viva emptiness and sounds of decay (ep). I have never heard a Katatonia album that was not great, dance of december souls is somewhat primative but still emotional, you really can't go wrong with any of their stuff.