opeth forum..?

haven't checked the opeth forum in awhile, but i can imagine how horrible it was, or it can get. As for the new opeth album, hmm, don't know what to think of it....

Back in the day, many years ago, the Opeth forum was the most active on UM by far, and it was (somehow simultaneously) the only place to go for reasonably intelligent discussion, free of name-calling, trolling, elitism, and general stupidity. I sense that all disintegrated as the albums started selling after Blackwater Park's release and the forum expanded... it's funny to me to hear people bitch about it, though. I keep thinking "but hey... wasn't that the GOOD forum?"

Anyhow, Ghost Reveries is probably Opeth's most progressive work since Still Life. It takes some of the sonic progressions of Deliverence and Damnation and uses them in more classically "Opethish" unconventional song structures. Blackwater Park and the albums since were all a bit of a disppointment to me, I found them kind of bland compositionally, but Ghost Reveries has been a pleasant surprise, especially in the face of all the Roadrunner Records whoo-ah.

Still Life and My Arms, Your Hearse are the two BEST Opeth albums. Ghost Reveries to me is right up there with those two. I just can't believe how fucking great it is! Listened to it a few times but won't listen to it anymore until the album comes out. I wanna BLAST the damn album on my good speaker system to REALLY get the most out of it.

Ghost Reveries is a fucking masterpiece, plain and simple. The one's who say this album sucks are probably the one's that generally don't listen to opeth. If you think Still Life or MAYH is good and not the latest offering, then, I cannot respect your opinion. I think this album has more in common with Still Life than any other opeth release - and dammit, couldn't ask for more.

Beneath the Mire is one that NEEDS all your attention. Never liked it much at first, but now I think it is the best on the album. The intro REALLy grows and I think most of the album needs more than a few listens if you're to TRULY embrace it.

:headbang: Cheers Opeth!