Opeth in New York

Dolamite S. Biffle

Biffliest Person Ever
May 2, 2005
Atlantis
Did anyone go to the Evening With Opeth, if so how was it? Some of my friends are going to the one in Chicago and missing my birthday the fucking bastards, lol. Anyway they wanted to know what to expect as far as the screens and everything.

Dolamite S. Biffle said:
Did anyone go to the Evening With Opeth, if so how was it? Some of my friends are going to the one in Chicago and missing my birthday the fucking bastards, lol. Anyway they wanted to know what to expect as far as the screens and everything.

It was the same setlist they did in Hartford with the exception of one or two songs.

If you get to see the regular show on the tour, you're not missing much.

I did not go, and am glad I did not go out of my way to do so. While it sounded like an amazing show, if you caught the actual tour and have seen them before this isn't much of an "Ultimate Opeth experience."

In actuality, it was the combination of all the songs from the latter albums that they usually play, but never have time to play all of them. They also played one song from each of the older albums, and the only song that wasn't played on the regular tour (from the first 4) is Night and the Silent Water (which I'm sure was AMAZING). If you haven't heard, this was the set:

Under The Weeping Moon
Night and the Silent Water*
The Amen Corner
White Cluster
The Leper Affinity*
Deliverance
A Fair Judgement*
Windowpane*
Closure
Ghost of Perdition
The Baying of the Hounds
The Grand Conjuration
Demon of the Fall (Encore)*

* = Songs not currently played on the actual tour dates; but if you have seen Opeth at least once in the last 3 years you have probably caught one (or all) of these songs live. I passed on what would've been my 6th Opeth show for Dark Tranquillity's first US headlining show and a (one song :() longer Devin Townsend set. Everyone wins!

Whew. Still no "Black Rose Immortal." :)

Mikael said "never" on that one during our interview and it looks like they're sticking with it......although it's interesting that they're going back and playing a lot more older material, since he also said that it was difficult going back with new members to older material. Different chemistry, etc.

BlackenedDawn said:
I passed on what would've been my 6th Opeth show for Dark Tranquillity's first US headlining show and a (one song ) longer Devin Townsend set. Everyone wins!

Opeth and Dark Tranquility are playing this Saturday in Minneapolis. I still haven't made up my mind, but I think I'll be going. I have never seen either.

BlackenedDawn said:
I did not go, and am glad I did not go out of my way to do so. While it sounded like an amazing show, if you caught the actual tour and have seen them before this isn't much of an "Ultimate Opeth experience."

In actuality, it was the combination of all the songs from the latter albums that they usually play, but never have time to play all of them. They also played one song from each of the older albums, and the only song that wasn't played on the regular tour (from the first 4) is Night and the Silent Water (which I'm sure was AMAZING). If you haven't heard, this was the set:

Under The Weeping Moon
Night and the Silent Water*
The Amen Corner
White Cluster
The Leper Affinity*
Deliverance
A Fair Judgement*
Windowpane*
Closure
Ghost of Perdition
The Baying of the Hounds
The Grand Conjuration
Demon of the Fall (Encore)*

* = Songs not currently played on the actual tour dates; but if you have seen Opeth at least once in the last 3 years you have probably caught one (or all) of these songs live. I passed on what would've been my 6th Opeth show for Dark Tranquillity's first US headlining show and a (one song :() longer Devin Townsend set. Everyone wins!

Yep, you pretty much nailed it on the head. And to push your point even further, they actually HAVE played The Leper Affinity and Demon of the Fall on the current tour. The only songs played in NYC that have not been played during the regular tour dates were The Night and the Silent Water, A Fair Judgement and Windowpane. Again, if you can catch them on the regular tour dates, you are not missing out on all that much by not going out of your way to attend the Chronology performances.

Jibrille said:
I didn't go, but plenty of people have been talking (complaining) about it at the Opeth board.
And plenty of us others have been telling them to stfu. :cool:

Summary:

Opeth played a set consisting of songs across their career, including the sworn-never-to-be-played Night & The Silent Water. It will probably never be played again. The concert ran for 2 and a half hours of just Opeth. Additionally their music was choreographed to ballet for one track. Sounds pretty flippin awesome to me.

Dark One said:
Yep, you pretty much nailed it on the head. And to push your point even further, they actually HAVE played The Leper Affinity and Demon of the Fall on the current tour. The only songs played in NYC that have not been played during the regular tour dates were The Night and the Silent Water, A Fair Judgement and Windowpane. Again, if you can catch them on the regular tour dates, you are not missing out on all that much by not going out of your way to attend the Chronology performances.
+ Ghost of Perdition as the 4th "not played before in US" track. Of course, since the start of the current tour, it has been.

Kenneth R. said:
+ Ghost of Perdition as the 4th "not played before in US" track. Of course, since the start of the current tour, it has been.

Hey, what's up man? Yeah, and that's definitely where a lot of the disappointing confusion came in for myself personally. In terms of songs never played in the U.S. prior to the current tour, here they are:

Ghost of Perdition
Under the Weeping Moon
The Night and the Silent Water
The Amen Corner

BUT - in terms of songs exclusive to the NYC show that were never played in the U.S., here they are:

The Night and the Silent Water

See, after reading what was posted on the website well in advance, I came to the (obviously wrong) conclusion that there would be an additional 4 never before played tracks at the special shows. Now, I can understand where people are coming from in terms of the length of time Opeth played being special in NYC, and they're right, but I was just really hoping for more songs exclusive to that particular performance.

Put it this way, if Akerfeldt had posted prior to the NYC show instead of afterwards that 3 of the 4 "never before played U.S. songs" would be a part of the normal tour setlist, I would've been totally cool with it because I would've known for sure what to expect.

Anyway, it's behind me now, so that's the last time I post about it. Believe me, if you knew me for a long time, you would know that I've been about as big an Opeth fan as there ever has been, and for a lot longer as well. That can be both a blessing and a curse, since their older era contains most of my favorite material.

Jason

thats the right version, hopefully people won't be so confused about what went down now :D

but damn, I wish i could have seen TNATSW. it'll probably never be played again