Opeth in Tennessee!

WTF is a hipster?

Right here!
050819_MB_Mastodon_tn.jpg

Basically, a former indie rock kid who started liking metal in the 21st Century.
Lots of facial hair and crappy tattoos.
Usually drink the cheapest beer on the menu (PBR is the "good stuff" to these guys).

The wimpier hipster kids usually do not sport facial hair, and favor tight black jeans / pants, a derby hat, and dark rimmed glasses.

Come to the Wicker Park area of Chicago and see real live Hipsters roaming the streets. Go to any record store and see these morons pay $30 for vinyl resissues of classic albums, since they weren't around the first time to get these new.

WTF is a hipster?

Basically someone who looks like they like indie rock. Thick glasses, stupid hats, plaid shirts, fixed gear bikes, PBR, 'ironic' moustaches...

For some reasons, a lot of them have taken a liking to sludge/doom metal and certain styles of black metal. This trend has infiltrated the hardcore world too.

xXdwW.jpg

qus5S.jpg

Oh, nothing all of a sudden at all.....

Hipsters first took to black metal a good 5 years ago or so, with the rise in popularity of Opeth. Many later took to Nachtmystium then as their kvlt and troo band.

I was referring to their love for Enslaved in particular. I'm well aware of the hipster love for bands such as Nachtmystium and Wolves in the Throne Room, but I'm kind of surprised that they've adopted Enslaved, a truly progressive band that's not from America (pretty much all hipster-approved metal bands seem to be from the U.S.).

I was referring to their love for Enslaved in particular. I'm well aware of the hipster love for bands such as Nachtmystium and Wolves in the Throne Room, but I'm kind of surprised that they've adopted Enslaved, a truly progressive band that's not from America (pretty much all hipster-approved metal bands seem to be from the U.S.).

Nah, they have loved Enslaved for MANY years as well.

When Enslaved first played Chicago, it was with Electric Wizard @ The Double Door. At least here in Chicago, Enslaved has always been lumped in with the bands you mentioned above.

I never go there, but I would guess if you went to the Pitchfork forum, you will have seen their name mentioned for quite some time.

Nah, they have loved Enslaved for MANY years as well.

When Enslaved first played Chicago, it was with Electric Wizard @ The Double Door. At least here in Chicago, Enslaved has always been lumped in with the bands you mentioned above.

I never go there, but I would guess if you went to the Pitchfork forum, you will have seen their name mentioned for quite some time.

ha, wtf? No one even knew what a hipster was in 2001, so this nonexistent class of society certainly wasn't listening to Enslaved back then!

Since then, they've played at the Pearl Room and House of Blues, perhaps the most hipster-unfriendly venues in Chicago this side of Symphony Hall, with similarly unhipster bands as Dimmu Borgir, Dark Funeral, The Faceless, and Arsis. Hell, my longtime lament is that they *should* play with more hipster-approved bands, so it's really bizarre to find out from you that unbeknownst to me, they've really been hipster darlings all this time. Huh.

And your poster child for hipsters, "former indie rock kids who started liking metal in the 21st century", is Brent Hinds?!? :guh:

Oh hey, remember that time when you had ignorance and knowledge reversed, and derided a knowledgeable 43-year-old as an ignorant kid, when it was really you who was the ignorant one? That was awesome. :lol:

Neil

And your poster child for hipsters, "former indie rock kids who started liking metal in the 21st century", is Brent Hinds?!? :guh:

I've fought with Jason a lot about this topic in the past, which is why I haven't posted much on this thread, but yeah when I saw of all the people he could've had a picture of that he had him, I was shaking my head. Though I think his point moreso was the look of hipsters more than Hinds actually being a former indie kid, because he isn't.

Well, if I were president and had the nuclear codes, they would be a future crater... :lol:

I work at a publishing company in the near north suburbs of Chicago; the place is lousy with hipsters who live in Rogers Park. I used to sit next to a guy who writes for Pitchfork. So if you ever do get this power, please...give me a heads-up so I can be "sick" that day.

Right here!
050819_MB_Mastodon_tn.jpg

Basically, a former indie rock kid who started liking metal in the 21st Century.
Lots of facial hair and crappy tattoos.
Usually drink the cheapest beer on the menu (PBR is the "good stuff" to these guys).

The wimpier hipster kids usually do not sport facial hair, and favor tight black jeans / pants, a derby hat, and dark rimmed glasses.

Come to the Wicker Park area of Chicago and see real live Hipsters roaming the streets. Go to any record store and see these morons pay $30 for vinyl resissues of classic albums, since they weren't around the first time to get these new.

I really fail to see how Brent Hinds is a hipster. Additionally, I fail to see the issue with indie rock which nowadays is more raw and ballsy than alot of what's being passed off as metal these days (and is why alot of metal bands have been incorporating it into their sound).

Like so:

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I like my metal bands to look like metal bands...like my man Criss Oliva below. With that said, why in the world do most of this new generation of bands look like they should be changing oil at the local Jiffy Lube? I don't get this at all. :lol:

~Brian~

Wait... so dudes who wear torn clothes and grow their hair out super long aren't gas station attendants in your neck of the woods?! :O :lol:

Wait... so dudes who wear torn clothes and grow their hair out super long aren't gas station attendants in your neck of the woods?! :O :lol:

Apparently not these days!

And they probably look like they played for Savatage I bet? hahaha :lol:

I kid because I love. <3

If the world could be half as great as Savatage it would be a much better place! :)

~Brian~

I really fail to see how Brent Hinds is a hipster. Additionally, I fail to see the issue with indie rock which nowadays is more raw and ballsy than alot of what's being passed off as metal these days (and is why alot of metal bands have been incorporating it into their sound).

Like so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9xMFKtFjFg

I'm not quite getting why you think this is raw and ballsy?

~Brian~