Opeth is goth metal...

Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
... I know, cos metal hammer says so :p

No seriously, I was clearing out my room yesterday and I found a metal hammer from a few years back, and it says "'We are goth metal? Never!' insists Opeth guitarist Mikael Akerfeldt. 'Just because we have toured with CoF doesn't make us a goth-metal band. To me Cradle are the ultimate goth-metal band, because they have a certain vampiric quality. Infact, the whole movement is very British in origin. I love watching audiences who dress up and use make up in thats fashion, but it's very much confined to the UK. It has nothing to do with what we're about'

Considering that the Swedish crew Opeth have becmoe synonymous with the advent of the goth-metal movement in mainland Europe, Akerfeldt's comments might seem churlish in the extreme. However, he is not alone in denying a connection with a that is diffuse at best, and almost non-existant at the core. Such bands as Dark Tranquility and Lacuna cCoil also belueve themselves to be removed from the silkily dark stream of goth music"...

Churlish? What complete bollocks.. Anyone agree?? Or disagree??

Black?? Haven't you heard of cybergoths ;)

I read thought the rest and he actually justifies stuff by saying "they are goth metal, but just don't know it..." etc. etc.

Complete wanker, I may go as far as to say a funking bar steward ;)

Clueless, however, definitely :rolleyes:

Churlish? Hahaha! Yeah, only because he doesn't AGREE with him. w/e What a clown...speaking of clowns.

Lee...you and your avatars.
Whatever_anim.gif

Originally posted by NovemberFrost
I think a lot of people just try way too hard to classify music.

Bingo. Ppl just do not know what to do with music on which they can not slap a nice little label. It seems they'll also attempt to force a style onto it whether or not it fits.

Originally posted by godisanathiest
Black?? Haven't you heard of cybergoths ;)

I read thought the rest and he actually justifies stuff by saying "they are goth metal, but just don't know it..." etc. etc.

Complete wanker, I may go as far as to say a funking bar steward ;)

Clueless, however, definitely :rolleyes:

I know, it was tongue-in-cheek ;)

There's no need for those bar-steward comments though. I mean really, you should try to restrain yourself in such moments of passion....

How fucking ridiculous. It's like me interviewing Pearl Jam or whatever.......and callling it grindcore.

Me: "Now Eddie, tell me how you managed to shape your grindcore into something that appeals to the masses?" Eddie: "what the fuck's a grindcore?" Me: "The Nasum influence is fairly prevalent in your 'music' (snicker). Tell me what other grind bands have influenced you over the years." Eddie: "Naswho?"

Well, it seems Eddie is denying these influences, but one day he'll recognize them, because they're there. Sure his comments seem scandalous, churlish even:)grin: ), being that Pearl Jam is irrevocably a part of the grind revolution in the american north-west. It's not surprising, when other grindcore groups like Hanson, Nickleback, and Bjork are also denying these influences left and right.

:rolleyes:

I also know Opeth are goth, because Terrorizer told me!:eek:
They have referred to Still Life as a masterpiece in goth metal several times, both in the album review, and the end-of-year-top-albums lists too :err:

No, I could not understand it then, either........

...and I think it's ironic that you're all whinging and complaining about Opeth being called 'goth' when half of you schmucks dress like goths, with your pretty little spike belts and wrist bands, your black eye-shadow and goth dressed.

You're a bunch of hypocrite goths. The lot of you!

:D