Opeth latest Pale Communion Streaming in full

A step above Heritage, a step below everything else. CIts listenable but it lacks the typical Opeth grunts and the light/dark shades that make Opeth Opeth

Mike is far from stupid, so I'm sure he knows that he will be continuing to piss off the Opeth purists or old school fans by continuing in this style. It is, stylistically, a continuation of what they established with Heritage. However, this one goes even further with the weird prog-rock motifs and removes a lot of the identifying factors that this is still an Opeth album. It is so different from the sound they established with the albums up to and including Watershed that I wonder why they even call it Opeth. This sounds like a different project, rather than a band continuing on a new trajectory. Opeth is a name that is larger than life among the fans of their style. But this will undoubtedly alienate and dumbfound many of their fans, who expect to hear a certain thing with an Opeth album. While I support progressing wholeheartedly, I think it would likely have been more appropriate to give this a different name, not unlike what Devin Townsend does with his multiple projects.

There is quite a lot of good here. But is it good for Opeth? I will continue to wonder this.

There are some nice moments on this record, but on the whole it's quite lackluster. To say that it's better than Heritage is to damn with faint praise. My 8AM bowel movement is superior to Heritage.

Clearly Mikael has no interest in rehashing past glories, and that's his right. On some level I commend the amount of artistic integrity it must take to risk alienating your audience. It will be interesting to see if Opeth can maintain their popularity while releasing music in this style.

I'm curious to know what's being said behind the scenes at Roadrunner.

iTunes pre-order arrived. So far, so good. Haven't heard a growl yet :headbang: Like Sepultura, the latter output outshines the earlier efforts :kickass:

There are some nice moments on this record, but on the whole it's quite lackluster. To say that it's better than Heritage is to damn with faint praise. My 8AM bowel movement is superior to Heritage.

Clearly Mikael has no interest in rehashing past glories, and that's his right. On some level I commend the amount of artistic integrity it must take to risk alienating your audience. It will be interesting to see if Opeth can maintain their popularity while releasing music in this style.

100% agreed. It seems more memorable and structured than Heritage and employs most of the elements that you expect from Opeth that the band left out on Heritage. But even still, it's a bit lackluster compared to Damnation and Watershed, the two albums that I feel like this album is trying to marry.

It is so different from the sound they established with the albums up to and including Watershed that I wonder why they even call it Opeth. This sounds like a different project, rather than a band continuing on a new trajectory.

Yes. This sounds completely different. Why destroy the "Opeth" brand in such a manner?

There are some nice moments on this record, but on the whole it's quite lackluster. To say that it's better than Heritage is to damn with faint praise.

Agreed, and there is nothing in this new album that compels me to purchase it either.

Loving the new one. Especially the mellow Tullish bits. Could break into my top ten. 0 DM :kickass:

Its 70s inspired rock, and its not bad if that's what you're looking for. Its still a bit risky for Opeth to change direction like this, however it would be risky for them to continue to produce music they were no longer interested in creating. I really don't miss the growls, but I do miss the hard edged metal with the intricate melodies. We'll see how it plays out. Perhaps they will find their way back. Perhaps not.

iTunes pre-order arrived. So far, so good. Haven't heard a growl yet :headbang: Like Sepultura, the latter output outshines the earlier efforts :kickass:

wow, that's.....just wow

Not sure what you'd think of me, as my fav period of Opeth history is their first 3 albums :D Morningrise being my fav Opeth album of all :headbang:

wow, that's.....just wow

Not sure what you'd think of me, as my fav period of Opeth history is their first 3 albums :D Morningrise being my fav Opeth album of all :headbang:

I'm sure you're as cool as AngraRules. :)

Anyway, those albums are good but modern Opeth / Oporc suits me better. :kickass:

Now, back to my cold :ill:

Everything Opeth did seemed like a slow build to the crescendo of Damnation/Deliverance and the inevitable crash to the level they are now. Its comparable to Iron Maiden building towards Seventh Son and their falloff afterwards or Fates Warning hitting their peak with APSOG and where they are now. All three bands still put out listenable music, but greatness has gotten past them for the most part.