Opeth Live Credence/ Mik's Singing in a higher voice?..

E V I L

Sangfroid Affectations
Sep 2, 2001
Imminence
Visit site
Ok, I can't provide a link because it no longer exists. The web page is blank now.

But listening to this mp3 of Mik singing Credence at some 2001 show in Springfield- does anyone know what I'm talking about?- I'm astonished.

Firstly, it doesn't sound like MA singing. Whoever's singing has a higher voice- but this dude, who I will presume IS MA, sings like there's no tommorow, with a beauty that stuns, full of vibrato and emotion.

This is shocking because 1. MA is not known to be so polished while singing clean live. 2. Again, the timbre of the voice, though recognizably MA's, is much higher than usual. 3. But then again, maybe it isn't actually Mik singing credence?

If you have the recording refer to it now. If you don't, your loss. I have a new perspective on what the man is capable of.

My question to Mikael: Why don't you sing in that voice more often?

Significant Postedit: Listening to the recording again, I noticed something peculiar: the key of the song is different. Then it struck me, Mike's voice is higher because the recording for some reason is played at a faster tape speed! :loco: Me so crazy! I tweaked the speed so that it matches normal key, and, back to normal, MA is in his usual deep sonorous voice!...but still singing more impressively than I've heard, and I'm still astonished. :loco: (<- googly, shmoogly)

Originally posted on the official Opeth site

The Osnabruck/Germany show was a total disaster performing wise due to this, and the next day in Hamburg Opeth did a instrumental set with guest vocals from the support bands. Blakkheim from Katatonia sang "Forest of October", Jonas from Katatonia did his take on "Credence", Carmelo from Novembre did a "Advent" version while everybody rushed the stage for the finale with "Demon of the fall". The rest of the songs played that night were sung by...yes, the audience! Wierd? Yes, but also a classic show in the history of Opeth.

Could this be the same thing?

yeah thats mike alright, he is singing a bit higher but its also the recording device, it isnt to precise...........
l8ter vt.:D ;) :)

i know exactly what recording you are referring to.'
i was also very impressed by it and as a result,
played it over and over and over again.

then, when i went back to the cd, i was unconsciously
expecting to hear the same thing. i almost enjoy
the live version more now.

it IS a bit quicker, yet nothing is lost in this version.
it still delivers a great feeling, which goes to show
that opeth is great without studio magic presence.