Live at Chicago HOB 5-6-09

GreatOdinsRaven

New Metal Member
May 8, 2009
Went down to the House of Blues a few nights ago with a friend to see the guys play...first show for me, third for her.

HOOOLY SHITTTTT did they rock....AND....they changed the setlist from the usual one they've been doing over the past year or so.:D

Mike had a sore throat and was having trouble with clean vocals, but he pulled it off just fine.

SETLIST:

Heir Apparent
Ghost of Perdition
Godhead's Lament
Wreath
Credence
Hessian Peel
Closure
The Night And The Silent Water
(Harvest Sing-A-Long)
The Lotus Eater
-----------------------
Demon of the Fall

Wreath and DOTF fucking owned. During Demon there was a pretty crazy pit. I'm not gonna write a whole big detailed review, cuz there's just too much to write, and I'm lazy, but I'll just give a few fun anecdotes.

A freaky occurrence that happened before the encore was that my friend and I turned to each other and both said "are you feeling Deliverance for the encore?"

I know they've been pretty much exclusively closing with Deliverance lately, and had no real reason to think otherwise, but we both just FELT it.

Sure enough....Mikael announced... "Demon of the Fall". We both looked at each other like WOAAAAH!!!! So cool.

As soon as I got home, I wrote down some funny shit Mikael said during his famed comedic interludes, so I'll write those for now

MA: "So you want to know the story behind "Eaten"? (Bloodbath song) It's about a guy in Germany who put an advert in the local paper asking if anybody wanted to be "eaten", and he got a shitload of responses. Well one guy went to his house, and they started making out with each other, I guess, and then the guy who put out the add chopped off the other guy's cock. They cooked it up and ate it together while the guy bled to death in the bathtub.

I had nothing to do with it. But I am curious about following up with that story...."

MA: "On the bass guitar, Martin Mendez....who has swine flu. On the drums, we have Mr. Axe....who suffers from retardation"

MA: "We play a very childish form of music. They say if you're over 15 and like this very childish form of music, you're quite immature.....Death metal. But....those people who said that....are retards"

MA: "I don't know how many times we've played this venue, but it's been a lot. I love the chicken tenders here. I'm fucking sick today......yet I had chicken tenders again"

MA: "We are going to sound shit tonight because my voice is fucked. For you guys, I got a shot in my ass. They injected a steroid...into my ass. Let me repeat...I got a shot....in my ass. A man stuck a needle....in my ass. They offered me the pill, but I said "No no. In the ass please"

MA: "When my voice cracks...it sounds like...Chewbacca" *audience makes a bunch of Chewbacca noises, and Mike starts laughing*

MA (Before playing "Credence"): I believe the first time we ever played this song live was in Chicago. That was a fucking long time ago. Back when I was fat. I'm now slim...bordering on buff"

MA: "Will you kindly shut the fuck up?" *Grins widely and gives thumbs up*

(Crowd screams "Black Rose Immortal!!!!") MA: *plays about 10 seconds of the song* "Anything else? Ok fine, we're going to play you a bit of a song, and you're gonna have to sing it. And not bad. It better be fucking GOOD singing. Not your normal shit, but it's got to be fucking good! We'll play you two verses and a chorus. And it better be fucking good *plays "Harvest"*

MA: "I talk a lot of shit in between songs don't I? Shut the fuck up Mikael"

MA: "I love PRS guitars...even though I'm endorsed...I do love them...and it's an AMERICAN guitar!! KISS used to play Gibson guitars because they said "only the best", but then they switched to Ibanez...I guess they don't need the best anymore. How about Rickenbackers? The Beatles played Rickenbacker guitars. Yeah, so do you guys like PRS Guitars? Can't afford them? Well that's too fucking bad for you, hahaha! Actually, they do have an affordable model, the SE, which I have. I like my SE...."

I think those were most of them...

The REAL highlight of the observation was me and my friend sneaking into an underground parking garage where we found a few tour buses that happened to be there and having brief conversations with Axe, Mendez, and Mikael...

Those guys are so gracious with the fans and are just total class acts!

What a way to lose my Opeth virginity!!!

Haha thats some funny shit he said. Cool to see they changed up the setlist, not sure if I would want Wreath over Hessian and Demon over Deliverance though.... I wish they would close with Harlequin and put Burden in there!

it wasnt wreath over hessian, it was wreath over leper affinity. and i was happy to have traded wreath over leper for DOTF over deliverance. even though they always play DOTF as an encore, it is the PERFECT way to end a show. the whole 'run away...' part is epic and beautiful. and the show in chicago really reaffirmed that for me.

Right, I couldn't pin point the song, but yeah, I still think I would take Leper over Wreath, but I just love that interlude chorus ("You sighted and let me in/Keep the beast inside/Shackled within my hide"), he always sings it with such emotion. DotF and Deliverance are both good closers, either way it will be awesome. I still think Harlequin would be a good new closer though.

WOW very very cool. I'd rather Demon than Deliverance any day of the week, but The Leper Affinity is a one of my personal favorites and one I have yet to see live. Wreath is bad ass though.

So what are we looking at for Enslaved merch people? Any cds other than Vertebrae for sale?

I think The Night And The Silent Water is my favorite live track now. The last few minutes are so much more epic live.

It was a good show indeed. I really love Closure and how they expand on it. I was hoping for Black Water Park and or Masters Apprentice. I know Masters is a bit over played live. But it slays live. It would have been sweet if they played Derelict Herds.

I'd have liked to have seen "Wreath" played in Boston. They closed with "Deliverance", and not "DOTF" at that show. That whole "Credence/Closure/Hessian Peel" thing was great. Fred's soloing and the Mikael/Per improv with "Third Stone From The Sun" was badass too.