no Demon of the Falll in Latham?!?!

I can't remember him doing that at the Toronto show. He did ask us to be louder with our grunts during the death metal vocal lessons, but no asking if we're shy...

Anyone remember when Mikael had the crowd say Cock,Cunt and do some growling.

haha

The Greys said:
The sound at winners is always awful. I'm surprised Opeth sounded as good as they did last night.

Into Eternity and Nevermore got screwed.

Actually, since the new owners took the place over the sound has vastly improved. I saw Yngwie there in 2001 and the sound was horrible, but I went three times in 2004 (for Opeth, Iced Earth, and Ministry) and was surprised at how much better it sounded. It's a cool little place to see a show though, so hopefully they'll keep booking descent acts. I had planned on going to see Mindless Self Indulgence earlier this year but that sold out before I could get tickets. VNV Nation also but that got cancelled because the promoter was absolutely clueless.

MetalManCPA said:
This is kind of surprising to me.

The surprising part is not that the crowd was/wasn't into the show or that the crowd deserved/didn't deserve an encore, but that Opeth could be accused of "not being into it" and not playing an encore because of that reason.

Opeth has always struck me as being a band with integrity and professionalism. Whether the crowd jumps on it's toes or not isn't reason not to perform an encore. If somebody in the band wasn't feeling well, I would believe something would have been said.

I remember seeing Enslaved with no more that 50 people in the venue. Regardless, they played their hearts out and thanked those of us who were there at the end of their evening. I would expect nothing less from Opeth. I wouldn't hold anything against Opeth (because they have totally changed my musical listening life), but if the reason they didn't play Demon of the Fall was for the simple fact they didn't believe the crowd deserved it would be very disappointing.

Until the real reason comes out, we can only guess why they didn't play the encore.

I don't think that not being into it is necessarily a bad mark against the band. It's pretty exhausting to be on the road for any period of time, so for them to not really be as into it some nights as they are others has to be expected. Like I mentioned, sometimes you can "feed" off the static of the crowd if they're particularly energetic. This just wasn't one of those nights.

XFactor42 said:
VNV Nation also but that got cancelled because the promoter was absolutely clueless.

HAH! Someone else noticed VNV Nation. I figured I was one of about 5 people who bought those tickets. Not big enough goth or industrial scene in Albany to get 100 at that show when they were also playing venues less than 3 hrs away. At least I saw them in NYC last year. Great show.

Jibrille said:
HAH! Someone else noticed VNV Nation. I figured I was one of about 5 people who bought those tickets. Not big enough goth or industrial scene in Albany to get 100 at that show when they were also playing venues less than 3 hrs away. At least I saw them in NYC last year. Great show.

I was one of the other four.:Smug: I was really surprised at how poorly the tickets sold, but when you mention the other nearby venues they played at (NYC and Worcester come to mind) I guess that people outside the area opted for those places instead of coming to the Albany area. With there being such a large metal fanbase in the area, I didn't think than a large industrial crowd was much of a stretch.

You saw them in 2004 then? Were they touring to support an album, or just doing a tour? Also, any suggestions on what albums of theirs to pick up? I was going to get the two most recent ones. I don't own any of their stuff, but from what I've read they sound like a good place to start.

XFactor42 said:
You saw them in 2004 then? Were they touring to support an album, or just doing a tour? Also, any suggestions on what albums of theirs to pick up? I was going to get the two most recent ones. I don't own any of their stuff, but from what I've read they sound like a good place to start.
It wasn't really in support of an album. More so a "we haven't been here in 2 yrs so we'll do a mini tour" type thing. It was only 2 days before New Years but, yes, it was 2004. Their new album wasn't released until April of this year so the full US tour in May/June was in support of that.
Personally, I think Praise the Fallen is the best CD to start with. That's their 2nd release. Their first album, Advance & Follow, is impossible to find as it was an extremely limited press so you might as well download that. However, all of them are worth picking up. Empires, Matter+Form, Futureperfect, or the Pastperfect DVD.
I would have caught them in Hartford the next day but I work full time and it was too short notice of cancellation to make plans to drive out & back on a work night.

Jibrille said:
It wasn't really in support of an album. More so a "we haven't been here in 2 yrs so we'll do a mini tour" type thing. It was only 2 days before New Years but, yes, it was 2004. Their new album wasn't released until April of this year so the full US tour in May/June was in support of that.
Personally, I think Praise the Fallen is the best CD to start with. That's their 2nd release. Their first album, Advance & Follow, is impossible to find as it was an extremely limited press so you might as well download that. However, all of them are worth picking up. Empires, Matter+Form, Futureperfect, or the Pastperfect DVD.
I would have caught them in Hartford the next day but I work full time and it was too short notice of cancellation to make plans to drive out & back on a work night.

Thanks for all the suggestions- I think I'll be doing some music shopping after the Holidays are over. :Spin: BTW, isn't the Pastperfect DVD from the Futureperfect tour?

I was thinking of heading out to Hartford as well, but had the same problem you did- work night, not enough notice to sort out the logistics.

You also might want to check out a band called Pride and Fall (also on the Metropolis label). Their 2003 debut CD NEPHESH made my Top 5 that year, and they got a brand new album called ELEMENTS OF SILENCE coming out January 24th. Some of the goth/industrial snobs have dismissed the band as being too similar to VNV Nation, but from what I've heard it'd be like saying that Opeth is a King Crimson ripoff. Prog rock is an influence, but the band works that into their own unique sound. Same thing with Pride & Fall in terms of VNV Nation. Zeromancer is also a good band to check out, and both them and VNV are sited as influences by P&F.

BTW, both Zeromancer and P&F are from Norway, and as well all know Opeth is from Sweden. Lots of good music coming from that part of the world it seems. :worship:

Wow... people here seems not to understand.
It's not crowd's fault, nor even Opeth's fault.
As T-Rat said, maybe they were tired or for some strange reason Mike wasn't in a good mood. That HAPPENS A LOT. FACT.
I bet some of you still don't know they're human beings... ugh..

Brackofthemountain said:
Possibly the guess is that a lot of people were there for Nevermore...

Have any of you been on the Nevermore forums in the last two months? They all say crap like "Opeth sucks" and "I like a guitarist who masturbates as frequently as Jeff Loomis does..."(not really, but they're pretty harsh about Opeth).

yes, unfortunately there is some Opeth bashing on the Nevermore forum. I don't understand why! both bands are great, but in completely different ways. Having said that, there are defl Opeth fans on the Nevermore forum too, cos people stick up for them etc. I love both bands :D

Luz said:
As T-Rat said, maybe they were tired or for some strange reason Mike wasn't in a good mood. That HAPPENS A LOT. FACT.

Dude, that's EXACTLY what some of us have been saying. Go back to my post (#25) in this thread and reread what I said.

Luz said:

Check this thread out too: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4163729&postcount=15

Those of us with a brain in our heads know that these guys are human beings just like everyone else.

Originally Posted by Luz
It's not crowd's fault.

colin007 said:
um, yeah it was...the crowd was completely lame, i can totally understand mike not wanting to give us an encore...

It's more like the crowd contributed to an existing problem. Had they been energetic, things would probably have gone differently and there would have been an encore. So everyone who's planning on going next time: SHOW SOME ENERGY AND APPRECIATION!!!