Demon of the Fall as an encore song

MetalManCPA

Papa Opeth
May 19, 2001
Visit site
I'd like to see Opeth change this. Maybe it's because I've seen them 4 times over a period of years and it's old news to me. And of course each of us has an opinion on what makes a good encore song.

Personally, I'd love to see The Funeral Portrait as the encore song. Although never seeing or hearing it played live, I believe this song would kick more live ass than Demon of the Fall.

Nah, they'll never change it. I really don't like it that much, but it's the perfect encore for Opeth. Their shortest non-interlude/all clean song from one of their most fan-loved albums.

Yesterday was my first time I could see Opeth live, in amsterdam. The crowd went insane when they were onstage again for introducing the band and playing their encore, Demon of the Fall. It was a blast! But The Funeral Portrait is also a very good track, i would like to see them play it but just at the end of their setlist...not as an encore i think.
But what the hell! Every Opeth-show will be brutal! hehe

Encores are horribly tasteless and stupid and a complete waste of time! "HAHA OMGZ ARE RHEYT COMTING BACK!W11121LOL"

What is the point when you KNOW 100% that they will not only come back, but play the exact same song every time? I could live with DotF as the last song of the set every night on all their shows, but encores (while once, when they were actually a reaction to the fans' demands for MORE and not a cliché) are LAME.

Demilich said:
Encores are horribly tasteless and stupid and a complete waste of time! "HAHA OMGZ ARE RHEYT COMTING BACK!W11121LOL"

What is the point when you KNOW 100% that they will not only come back, but play the exact same song every time? I could live with DotF as the last song of the set every night on all their shows, but encores (while once, when they were actually a reaction to the fans' demands for MORE and not a cliché) are LAME.

Quite a few bands I've seen recently (as in major label bands not unsigned bands) seem to have done away with encores. I was hoping that would become the norm since it is lame waiting around for an encore when you know there's going to be one, I'd much rather have a longer set. In the case of the Opeth gig in London, by the time they went off before the encore I was getting very anxious about catching the train, so it would have been better if they'd just put DOTF at the end of the set - though I guess that's a bit of a selfish reason. I much prefer what Mastodon did when I saw them, which was playing their 'last song', then saying 'do you want more?!', to which the audience obviously cheered and they played a couple more songs. Either that or having a clear finish to the show like Neurosis or Nine Inch Nails.

cool ^^
This tour will be the first time i'll get to see Opeth live...what with my being only 15
I think The Demon Of The Fall will own, but Funeral Portrait would be better - IMO its one of their best songs to date
And i agree that encores are a but sucky...its just a waste of time, in the time a band takes to come on they could play another song which means more metal *headbangs*

They just want the crowd to do some work, let the band hear how much you like them, and they'll return, that kinda idea. Anyway, The Funeral Portrait is a fucking great song, but as mentioned before, Karma as an encore would be total killer. That outro murders.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Heh, if not encore, they would do well by playing it before the encore.

Or maybe they could do Numb/Encore, with their newly aquired keyboardplayer/singer. I mean, Mikael did do some rapping in Serenity Painted Death anyway.

I like when bands, such as anthrax over the years, realize that encores are a waste of time for both them and you as fans. they get to the point where the encore would be and say you know that we know that this is when we go get a sip of beer, you chant our names, we come out,etc. It is a waste of time so instead we will just play 3 more songs and that will be it.:Spin:

Moonstruck said:
Or maybe they could do Numb/Encore, with their newly aquired keyboardplayer/singer. I mean, Mikael did do some rapping in Serenity Painted Death anyway.

aww man, you stole my reply :(

Blackwater Park would be, by far, the best encore song of all... I was almost hoping at the Melbourne gig that they wouldn't come out and do Demon simply because Blackwater Park kicked so much ass as a closing track.

Encores are a waste of time. I do admit Ilove to stand in a venue though and hear the crown screaming likemad. The sound gives me goose bumps. But wehear that whenthe band comes out on the stage usually, so it doesn't really matter. I guess I don't understand why they would use the same song every time as an encore song. I know people love it, but surprises are nice, too. I'mhoping tsee them on Oct. 27th for the first time. Can't promise because it's a weeknight and I'ma mommy, but Im going to do everything in my power togo.

the best encore i could ever imagine would be the fucking KARMA! it's time they finally put that brilliant gem on their setlist. i imagine the crowd yelling with Mike: 'I have goooone awaayyyiiiihh, the beeeed is coooohhhld and emptyyyyiiiiihhhhh...', that would rule!

Demon of the Fall is great. Blackwater Park or April Ethereal are the only others that would be as good. An Opeth encore needs to be especially crushing, and those are their most heavy songs. Besides, we already know that BWP and AE are among the best live songs. So, so good last time.

MetalManCPA said:
I'd like to see Opeth change this. Maybe it's because I've seen them 4 times over a period of years and it's old news to me. And of course each of us has an opinion on what makes a good encore song.

AGREED.

DOTF is a wicked song but its getting old as an encore...
I was actually disappointed when they played their 2nd gig in Australia and did that again.
That is the only time they've dissapointed me, even though I still enjoyed it. It is Opeth, afterall :dopey:

How about surprising everyone with an additional encore after the first encore - "Demon of the Fall"?

That would blow me away.

"The Moor", "The Night & The Silent Water", "The Twilight is My Robe", "Karma", "The Amen Corner"... all those songs they never play..I'd love to hear them live.

"Ghost of Perdition" too, it's my fave from the new album so far.

In Mist She Was Standing or BRI would be aweosme, but I doubt it'll ever happen. I had to leave during the encore as the time of them coming on and off meant I would have mised my train if i stayed. Psychologically encores feel like you get more of a gig I guess, but I do agree they do waste time, but they can give trhe band a rest/time to have a drink.

If they came on in a clown suit or fancy dress It'd be good, have time for a costume change, liven things up