They should encore with BWP

i think that april ethereal should be the opener and the closer...it has two of my favorite opeth sections at the very beginning and end....but it should especially be the encore...in listening to one section, the outro sums up why i love opeth.

April Ethereal would be an awesome opener, I've always said that.

But BWP should be the encore. It's the title track and last track on BWP for a reason. After it, what else is there to say? The epic title track from arguably the definitive Opeth album should close.

Demon Of The Motherfucking Fall. :)

I would be a little bit dissapointed if I saw them close with anything else. I mean sure, change is nice, but Demon Of The Motherfucking Fall cannot be beat for the encore, no chance. Maybe next album they'll come up with something.

I agree....although i would not like to see demon dropped. BWP has the best build-up and ending of all opeth tracks IMO. Just stunning and as someone else said, CRUSHING!!! I love the part especially where mendez starts slapping his bass around, its just awesome....and then...

THE SUN SETS FOREVER OVER BLACKWATER PAAAAAARRRRRRK!!!!

What a way to end that song. Brilliant.

The thing about encore songs is they need to end strong and on a dramatic note. Demon kind of winds down and mellows out toward the end, whereas BWP reaches its peak of insanity at the very end (well assuming they cut out the little acoustic section at the end which would kind of kill it as an encore)

I think they Should Encore with The Leper Affinity!

The outro riff just adds to the end of the night!

But again! Depends what mood i would be in! Diffrent songs work better depending on how i am so BWP, Demon, Deliverance, GOP, DF!!! Could all be good!

Jude said:
The thing about encore songs is they need to end strong and on a dramatic note. Demon kind of winds down and mellows out toward the end, whereas BWP reaches its peak of insanity at the very end (well assuming they cut out the little acoustic section at the end which would kind of kill it as an encore)

You nailed it. This is why BWP is the best choice. Even Deliverance's end riffing isn't as intense as BWP. It's a good song to have in the middle of the set.

The Evil Toucan said:
If they aren't gonna encore with Demon, they should use BWP. Deliverance is fine, but I don't see it as really an encore type song. BWP however, would be perfect. It pretty much sums up Opeth, and is definitely within the top 5 songs they've ever written. It's huge, long, and crushing. It really doesn't get much better than this song played live.

Discuss.

I totally agree. I almost wanted them not to play Demon after they played Blackwater Park, last time in Melbourne. It was such a fantastic and epic closing song that I don't think anything could've topped it.

I really do think we got a hell of a setlist last time though, and I don't expect something nearly as good this time around.

yea I totally agree, BWP is the best choice.. I mean Demon of the fall just drops off & doesnt really feel like a climax & Deliverance while having an awesome ending, doesn't feel like a climax either..
BWP climaxed brilliantly and is one of the heaviest crushing songs that Opeth have!!

The sun sets forever, over Black water Paaaaaaark!

this song should certainly be the encore, no doubt!!