Should the encore be changed to Blackwater Park?

Should the encore be changed to Blackwater Park?

• Yes

Votes: 44 64.7%
  • No

Votes: 24 35.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I remember too, when i flew over to catch them in Sydney (Im from NZ) Mike introduced Blackwater park by saying that it is a good headbanging tune as it is in 4/4. they demonstrated what 4/4 is by playing a few bars of Billie Jean.. Was funny as!!

Mike said that was the last song and I was like WOW what a song to go out on.. but then they came out again and did Demon of the fall. I was happy of course as it was another song I got to witness but I almost felt like they should have left it at Blackwater park as it was such a good note to go out on...

The perfect concert will have 3 to 4 great tracks played back to back to build things up and to get the whole crowd going followed by 1 or 2 tracks with a somewhat slower pace "sort of standing in the eye of the storm" before ascending in a final 3 to 4 great tracks building up a crescendo to ultimately reach the highest possible point of the concert which in my opinion should be the last song of the concert BEFORE the encore. This way, the crowd is completely berzerk and the cheering for an encore cannot be greater.

So this last song BEFORE the encore should definitely be the MIGHTY Blackwater Park. :worship:

Back to the question. For the encore itself, I think it should be Deliverance which is probably the second most intense track live after Blackwater Park. In addition, the ending of Deliverance would be in my head for the rest of the evening.

:headbang:

Benighted1 said:
Mike said that was the last song and I was like WOW what a song to go out on.. but then came but and did Demon of the fall. I was happy of course as it was another song I got to witness but I almost felt like they should have left it at Blackwater park as it was such a good note to go out on...

Precisely. People that were there totally get it.

steel102 said:
the acoustic bit at the end is really nice, what is all this hate? :(
It's really nice, but for a live show as the last song, it doesn't really fit. For the end of a gig, it's better to just end on the intense, heavy note, otherwise BWP suffers from the same problem as Demon.

Demon of the Fall>>>Blackwater Park. Obviously, I voted a most definite "no."

PLEASE GOD don't let them encore at the London show with BWP...sure, it's a good song - there isn't a bad one by Opeth, but it's one of my least favourites by the band.

Plus, I have been at MANY Opeth shows, and Demon gets such praise everytime they close off with it.

and,

I saw a video of Demon live and I was mystified why they use that as an encore. It belongs in the middle of the set. And no song could be a better encore than Blackwater Park.

wtf??? Are you mad? That is ridiculous - Demon of the Fall in the middle of a set would be so freaking out of place it's just not even funny. Better not have the song in the set at all if that was the case. The last bits of Demon of the Fall are TOO perfect to end a show on, delivering the chills and that beautiful guitar melody repeating until it stops. Amazing. I can honestly see why some would think BWP would work, I'm not saying it wouldn't. While both songs make great encore songs, DotF is just clearly the better of the two imo.

Alcapoth said:
wtf??? Are you mad? That is ridiculous - Demon of the Fall in the middle of a set would be so freaking out of place it's just not even funny.

Yeah, no kidding. I mean Demon of the Fall in the middle would just kill all the momentum of anything before it and leave everything after it floundering. Good thing they didn't put DotF in the middle of that pesky 'My Arms..." album. :err:

BWP as a song, suffers from a few lapses for me. It's got many rockin riffs and an awesome Edge Of Sanity like clean section. But the ending sounds too forced and conflicting. It's length could've been cut a few minutes short. My opinion of course but it doesn't come close to moving me as a song like April Ethereal or When would.

An ideal encore would be Closure. Laugh as you may. But the improvised version on Lamentations is as intense as any of the heavier stuff they've done. It just builds and builds to a climax so potent, it could fair rip the nostrils off Mike Akerfeldt.