How I Met Your Akerfeldt

Realturka

PEZ is good for you!
Apr 3, 2009
I'm partly copying it from MSN messenger, and some parts were written on teh MetallicaBB forums. Sorry about all the stupidity and codes and stupid looking text.

Beware, this is a long, long thread. You don't have to read it if you don't want to.

The following story took place on 17 April, Ankara show. On Akerday actually.

Realturka:

Dude?

Dan:

dude!

Realturka:

Hey, when you gave me the recipe for getting my guitar signed

Dan:

yeh

Realturka:

did you mention roughing up the surface before it is signed?

Dan:

I didn't, but good idea

not sure though

Realturka:

Well, the wise dude at the guitar body shop told me that I had to get it roughed up a bit before getting it signed.

And it is too late for that.

For, I GOT MY GUITAR SIGNED BY MIKAEL FUCKING AKERFELDT!

Dan:

damn, why can't you rough it up anymore?

Realturka:

Because it is already signed

dude told me that if I don't rough it beforehand, the polish or the clear coat or whatever that is wont stick properly.

Dan:

nooooo

damn

Realturka:

don't worry, I'll figure something out

The surface is already polished and shiny, so the new clear coat won't stick properly, and If I try to roughen the surface now, it'll mean I'll have to damage the signature terribly

And I most certainly don't want that to happen..

Dan:

yeah

now that sucks a lot

but tell me, did you talk?

Realturka:

Like you wouldn't believe..

Well, not to Mikael, he was a bit busy on his laptop

I can tell you the full story if you want

from the beginning.

Dan:

damn too busy? you should have told him you opened teh Thread with teh shredding thing.

Realturka:

I was going to, but when you meet the opeth in its entirety, just relaxing in the dressing room or whatever that's called..

I was mainly concentrating on not forgetting to breathe and stuff

So, let's go.

I skipped school yesterday morning.

At around 14:30 I left home and walked to a printing center to get those posters printed out

(these posters which I've decided to give akerfeldt as a birthday present)

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/4191/13936351.jpg

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/7545/96094119.jpg

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/5588/76841402.jpg

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/4387/88717643.jpg

And the one with the forum thing also.. I kept it for myself

Dan:

i know that one

Realturka:

So, I did a bit more walking and I was at the venue at 15:30 or something

I walked around the place and tried to find a weak spot where I could just sneak in and meet the guys, as I couldn't get anything like a backstage pass. my insider connections had failed miserably.

So I walk around the place, I even tried the emergency exit to get in, but I couldn't

then I gave up around 16:00 and got myself some food

sat in front of the venue door, and it was scheduled to open at 19:30

So I'm text messaging my friends and I was like one of the few people that got there so early

then a bunch of dudes come like at 16:30 and they're like just jerking around, drinking booze and stuff

they go in a little cafe/pub/restaurant that's right next to the venue

a bunch of middle school girls go in there also

You see, there wasn't a +18 limit, so every single kid who has heard Harvest or Windowpane, bought VIP tickets

it was terrible

I'm right in front of the stage, and there are 2 girls behind me, saying things like "Oooh, I hope they play 'To Rid The Disease.. And Harvest! Drapery falls too! Mike is soooo handsome! and the blonde guy who plays the drums!"

I might or might not have accidentally headbutted her when headbanging :lol:

So, three 13 year old girls go in the pub also, and like 15 minutes later, the owner just kicks everybody out

and at exactly 17:00, I learn why they were kicked out

someone yells "They're coming out! They're coming!"

I was like "who?"

Opeth walked out of that pub.

And all that time, I was just sitting on the sidewalk, just messaging my friends

Dan:

damn

Realturka:

I let out a big "SHIT!"

And bunch of damns also

I actually kept saying shit! Damn! Mother fucker!

for hours..

So, they are walking out, and to be honest, I could only see mike

I probably couldn't even tell if Arnold himself was walking right next to him

I was locked on target

I didn't even notice Per, Axe, Mendez or Frederik

I went straight up to Mike, and I said something like "Mikael? Could you take these?" and held out the posters

He looks at me for a moment, and I feel like I'm an ant at the feet of a Titan

He looked so huge at that moment

I don't know, I think I was shivering

So he says, "What's this?"

I swear to god dude, I forgot how to talk english.

Dan:

I know how you feel

Realturka:

"They're posters.. From the forum.. uhh.. The official.. Ultimate something.. Boobies.."

well, not boobies, but you get the idea

he just smiles, nods a little and keeps walking

but takes them also

So I'm like "FUCK! I JUST TALKED TO MIKAEL AKERFELDT!"

So, the security guys form a line to get in, a few minutes after that

We had to wait for 2 and a half hours

Dan:

that's long

Realturka:

and it was really cold

well, I had already waited 2 hours

so I was like, whatever

And the best thing that could happen at that moment:

those 13 year old girls are right in front of me at the line

they are holding empty beer cans and talking so loud that I heard every single word of it:

"I got mike's beer can! Whoo hoo!"

So I learn that they went in there, hugged akerfeldt, tried to talk english, got their empty beer cans, and the guys ordered them food and they ate together.

Dan:

damn

Realturka:

And I was sitting on concrete, eating a hotdog.

So I'm like "FUCK!"

Dan:

I can imagine

Realturka:

And girls go "The one with the curly hair and blue eyes gave me his beer can!"

"You mean Mike?"

"No, he's the drummer."

And I was like "WTF?"

I went over there and said that the guy they were talking about was Frederik

Mike is the lead singer and guitarist

and the one with the long blonde hair is Axe.

So they kept talking about it for hours, and I realised that they were drunk as hell

A bunch of drunk 13 year old posers met Akerfeldt and I didnt!

SHIT!

Anyway, a few hours later, the doors open, I rush inside and get the best spot possible, front row

right in front of akerfeldt

like 2 meters from him

A stupid group opens the show and at 21:30, Opeth comes onstage

without a single word, they start Heir Apparent

and guess what?

Dan:

wait

second song:

The grand conjuration?

Realturka:

nah

I wish

The stupid crowd of posers start singing 'Happy Birthday Mikael!"

They must have thought that the song was already over when Per was playing the piano part

you know what I'm talking about?

The part at the beginning where everybody just stops and Per plays that piano thingy..

Dan:

damn

they started with Heir over here too

fucking awesome live

and so fucken tight

Realturka:

Yeah..

Anyway, the stupid posers thought the song was over and they started singing happy birthday mikael, I had to turn back and yell at them "They're still playing! Shut the Fuck UP!"

They promptly shut the fuck up.

So here's the setlist

heir apparent

ghost of perdition

godhead's lament

the leper affinity

credence

hessian peel

closure

the night and the silent water

the lotus eater

- encore -

deliverance

Pretty much the exact setlist they've played this tour

Dan:

omg what the fuck

Realturka:

Yeah, no Demon, no Bleak, no BWP, no TGC..

Not even Black Rose Immortal!

So I'm in the front row, headbanging to pretty much everything

Shouting "Martin! Hey! Mendez!" between the songs to get his attention

He looked and smiled at me twice I guess

And Frederik was right in front of me too, he gave me a nod whenever I have him the devil horns \m/

*gave him

Dan:

Yeah fredrick is cool

I gave it to him a few times too

and it seems as if he realized it every time

Realturka:

Dude, cool is an understatement.

He is awesome!

And that is without talking to him backstage

Dan:

he's got some mad skills too

and te guitar sound they had

fuckign amazing

Realturka:

Right before the last song, Deliverance, mike was introducing the band members as usual, and pointed to Fred

and said 'He will now play you a solo!'

And dude, I kid you not, he did.

That was some freaking awesome solo

better than all of Watershed's shreddy solo's combined

and improvised too

Mike's jaw almost hit the fucking floor

Mine did.

Dan:

damn

Realturka:

So when he finished, me and the dude next to me went "Your turn mikael! Your turn! Play us a solo Mike!"

He didn't.

Actually, he didn't react to anything I shouted between the songs

Dan:

Yeah Mike

is like that I think.

He didn't care for what we did either

I threw my t-shirt on stage

Realturka:

I think I might have pissed him off slightly or something

Dan:

nothing

Realturka:

I think he cares, but he doesn't want to encourage people to do stuff like that

so, the show's over, and I went straight outside and found a good spot that covered all the exits

I was basically waiting near the tour bus

So I see guys coming out the backstage door

I try to get in, but they are just the opening act

and guards saw me the moment I set my foot in there

so I went back to my observation post

that was around 23:00

so like at 23:45, the tour bus driver turned the engine off. they weren't coming out

there was like 15 guys waiting out there to meet the band

and at 23:59, the opportunity came

they opened the big doors for a truck to come in and get the band's equipment

and most the security guys had gone home

So I walked right next to the truck as it was driving in

Like those soldiers sneaking right next to the Tanks in war movies

I got in there, I hid behind a curtain and found my way onstage pretty quickly

Dan:

damn man

you're a bad boy

Realturka:

It was easier than it sounds, really

Totally fucking worth it

as I was going to use the Fire Exit if that didn't work

And once you get onstage, nobody gives a flying fuck about who you are

there were like 10 dudes carrying the equipment around

all turkish, and they were just regular dudes, not like cool metal dudes or security guys

And opeth's guitar tech was there too

so, they didn't pay much attention to me

I found a VIP area right behind the big curtains

it was behind the stage

So I looked around one last time, and went in

Dan:

did you find them then?

Realturka:

VIP place was empty, but there were empty pizza boxes lying around

it was Domino's Pizza! I told you guys at the MetBB that pizza was good

So, I see a bunch of empty coca cola and redbull cans around and I thought that I was getting closer

then I found a sign on the wall that pointed to the dressing room

It was right around the corner, and there was some music and weird language coming through the glass door. So I gathered myself, tried to concentrate on speaking proper english and knocked on the door.

I opened it slowly, stuck my head inside and said "Can I come in?"

Then I looked around and Frederik, Mikael, some hot blonde chick who was probably someone's wife, Axe and Per were sitting there

all looking at me

They were like "Yeah, sure, whatever.."

I entered and I was fucking shivering

Frederik is the nicest man on earth, he was right next to the door and said something like 'Hi'

I went "Hey dude, that last solo was fucking awesome! I'm so star-struck right now, sorry"

He actually smiled

Dan:

heh

Realturka:

and said thanks

Dan:

ah fuck

man sorry

gotta go

Realturka:

ok

Dan:

can you send me the rest via mail?

Realturka:

I'll post it on the MetBB

bye

So here's the rest:

I praised his soloing a bit more and told him that he was my idol. Just then, Mendez's head pops out of a corner and I almost go into cardiac arrest. It was so amazing, that cool, silent dude on the stage looking at you, as cool and silent as ever. I found that black poster thingy lying on the floor and I get everyone to sign it. Here's the result.

Fred was just standing there and Mendez was mostly in another room, being cool probably. Mikael was surfing the net on his Apple Macbook. When I saw it I went "You're using an Apple?" He was like "Yeah, why?" "Oh, it's just that I've always thought you like a PC kinda guy.. You know, windows and stuff.. Nevermind, I'm a geek :lol: "

Axe was wearing a hood or something and looking as confused as ever. I told him that his beat were so awesome and I headbanged so hard that I probably wouldn't be able to turn my neck around for a few weeks. He laughed and signed. Then I saw Per and his foot-long beard. He was wearing a leather hat or something, and a jacket, just sipping at some wine on the couch. He muttered something like "Uh-huh. Yeah" and signed the poster.

Then I talked to Fred about the Gay Bar and Mike & Mendez picture a bit, which he liked a lot. He is the nicest guy on earth, seriously. Then I asked if they were going to stay there a bit longer, and if so, could I bring by guitar to get it signed. They were like "Yeah, 15 minutes, half an hour.. Whatever.."

So I call my dad and get him to bring my guitar to the venue. He was a bit pissed off, but he still brought the guitar, without the case, just laying on the backseat of the car. I take it, get the strap over my head and rush back there. The other guys who were waiting by the tour bus had seen me get out with the poster and the signatures, so they were like "WTF? Damn, lucky kid.". When they saw me with the guitar, they were like "No way they're going to let you in there again."

I get to the VIP area again, knock the door, and go in. Akerfeldt raises his head from the macbook again and goes "That's your guitar? It looks nice.." I shiver once more and give it to him. He plucks a few strings (I think, I can't recall that awesome moment in it's entirety), and goes "Are you happy with it?"

My guitar's a LTD F-250, a metallic silver which looks more like green. I said "It's a bit hard to solo with, but the tone is amazing. I think Frederik once had an endorsement with ESP, right?" He goes "Yeah, but he's not here at the moment.."

So he signs the guitar, I thank the guys again for all the awesome music, and right before I leave, I turn around and say
"Hey, Mike? Happy birthday dude!"
He goes "Cheers!"

I leave and decide to take the setlists that are taped on the floor for the guys. I also took two empty cases of Evans Drumheads or something like that.

The signature on my guitar might come off because SOMEONE forgot to tell me (just kiddin) that I need to get the surface roughed up before getting it signed, so the clear coat can stick properly.. Unless I install a 'golpeador' which is basically a transparent tapping surface for classical guitars, it won't last long.. Well, I'm open to suggestions guys.

So, yeah I'm a lucky bastard. It was the first time I've ever met someone cool, and I've started from the top!

----------------------------

Here's some additional stuff originally posted on Photoshopeth:

Ok, I sneaked backstage after the show and met Akerfeldt and other guys. I had given the posters to mike right before the soundcheck, when they walked out of a pub and into the venue.

So, when I came in the dressing room, and found the posters lying on the floor, I asked them if they liked those. They said did.

Frederik, who is by far the nicest guy on earth, told me that he especially liked the one with gay bar and Mike & Mendez. I can't argue with that!

I asked Mendez if he had seen that one before and he said he did.. I also asked frederik which one he was in the glam rock band, and he told me he was the second dude from the right. I thanked him, and got this signed for myself. I've got everybody's signature on it.

I also asked Mendez and Fred why they didn't ever post on the forums and Martin went "What forum? Oh, that one in the picture? I go there sometimes, but I don't post. I just read." and Fred said "I read there often, but I don't post either. Maybe I should.."

I said: "You definetely should, everyone just loves it when Mikael posts. We'd like to see you there."

Anyway, that's about it.

Cheers.
Realturka

-------

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/9370/resim001kopya.jpg

I also got my guitar signed by the Akerfeldt himself, but the dude who told me to get it signed with a permanent marker forgot to tell me that I had to roughen the surface beforehand, it seems that's the only way the clear coat sticks to the surface. So it might come off soon, but I'm going to see if I can get a 'golpeador' on there to make it last forever..

EDIT: I have a scanner that's for A4 paper, I had to attach the two images.

By the way, signatures, left to right: Per, Frederik, Mikael, Mendez, Axenrot

--------

So, I can just apply a clear coat over a shiny guitar body and it will stick?
The signature is written with a White Sharpie. It's the exact same as the white one there.

------------------------------

I cleaned it up a bit but the extra spaces got deleted because of the forum. Sorry, but it's the best I could do.

I'm jealous of everyone who met Mikael, but that story is just to long to be read by someone who has a life.

Just kidding, it's just that I don't have time to read it right now. ;)

I met that motherfucker. He was standing by the bus talking to people and I talked to him. Then I went inside the bus by Peter's invitation. Fuck, I just told my story in one paragraph; how did I do it???

Nice story, it's awesome how you got in :p I can imagine you making ninja invisibility crouches and going through doors like in a videogame to reach the guys :lol:

Cool story, awesome how you got in to their room and met them! Am jealous, well done dude. Enjoyed reading it :)

I enjoyed reading it last night and it's a cool story !! You are lucky dude.
The first thing i would tell him if i meet him is :thank you so fucking much for the music u write which has ALWAYS been there in different stages of my life !!!

^ That was the last thing I said before leaving with the signed poster.. I thanked them all for the awesome music, and told them that "Watershed, Ghost Reveries.. Just amazing!"..

And I know this story is waay to long and fanboy-ish but I just had to. It was my first Opeth show too.

What still ticks me is, right after I got my guitar signed, and got the 'Cheers!' from Mikael, I closed the door, and someone in the room said something and everybody started laughing. I couldn't hear what it was or who said it. Maybe they were making fun of me, I don't know :lol:

What still ticks me is, right after I got my guitar signed, and got the 'Cheers!' from Mikael, I closed the door, and someone in the room said something and everybody started laughing. I couldn't hear what it was or who said it. Maybe they were making fun of me, I don't know :lol:

I wouldn't worry about that, right now they don't remember you even exist.

They signed my Takamine last year. I brought a Testorts paint pen, and it seem to work quite well. The signatures haven't rubbed off at all.
l_53579385ce4745e0ad8fed8d99c941b9.jpg