Rock Im Park - Thank you, Mikael + Mendez

Taran

Apr 28, 2008
I had definitely the best hour in my life!!!
I've got two autographs by Mikael, the pen Mikael did it with, I spoke with him and with Mendez, and I shook hands with Mikael, Fredrik and Mendez.
I have still chills. The whole story from te beginning...
I went to the stage as early as possible and I got a place in the first row. I had to watch some terrible punk bands until it was time for Opeth to play. 15 min before the gig has started the weather changed dramatically. There was pouring rain, thunders, lightnings and even hail when the Opeth intro started. Though I was soaking wet and shivering it was an amazing show.
Setlist:
Demon Of The Fall
The Baying Of The Hounds
Heir Apparent
The Drapery Falls
During the quiet Heir Apparent interlude I screamed "MENDEZ" and he looked directely at me and showed me the horns.
After the show Opeth left the stage. I made my way out of the crowd and saw Mikael, Mendez and Fredrik surrounded by some fans on the left side beneath the stage. I ran to them and managed to shake hands with Fredrik and Mendez. While I did this, Mikael already went to the bus shuttle and then Fredrik, too. Only Mendez was left. Desperated I called Mendez and he came to me again. I asked him, if Mikael could return for a short moment. Mendez told me that they were in a hurry with the bus and had to leave immidiately. I requested him to ask Mikael, at least. He said "I try it" and went to the bus round the corner. I waited for ca. 30 min and nothing happened and then - suddenly - Mikael came round the corner and was walking directly at me. We shook hands and I was so shocked that I was completely out of words and stumbled anything. I pulled out a pen and my pocket and asked him to sign some paper anywhere. He tried it but the color blurred immediately. He said "Ohhhhhh shit" and tried it once again but it was
the same. I said something like "Thanks, you tried it at last". He signed some other stuff of fans beside me with my pen and finally gave it back to me. I asked him for a pick but he had none left. Then he went to the bus and I was completely stunned and walked back to the camping site shivering.
If Mikael or Mendez read this:
Thank you, Mendez, for asking Mikael to come back to the stage!!!!
Thank you, Mikael, very very much, for returning just for me in the pouring rain and trying to give me an autograph twice. Never mind you had no pick left because I have the pen you signed my papers with!!!!!! :worship: :worship:
It was an experience I never had in my life before....

I was at this show,too and have to say it was the freakin most amazing thing ive ever experienced...
When opeth hit the stage and the Intro-tape began to roll there were lightnings flashing and rolling thunders. And then it startet to rain and they kicked in with deamon of the fall.... And everybody went crazy. Nobody cared about the weather! The setlist was perfect, but way to short of course...
I was standing in the first row directly in front of mikael and as i shouted "cock rock!!!!:headbang:" i recieved a one-finger salute from him....:heh:
Oh yes and I also wanted to thank Fredrik for his plectrum...
After the show i was soaking wet, but this was definitively the most amazing live experience I ever took part in...
Looking forward to se a whole show, when they are on tour in Winter ( as mikael announced during the gig)

Btw.: There was a Spanish guy standing next to me, who took photos of us showing the horns. He said he knew about this forum, so in case he reads this i please him to post the photos... :lol:

When opeth hit the stage and the Intro-tape began to roll there were lightnings flashing and rolling thunders. And then it startet to rain and they kicked in with deamon of the fall.... And everybody went crazy.

A friend of mine who also had been at the gig told me afterwards that the rainy weather completely caught the mood conveyed by the music :headbang:

A question to people who wrote Mikael an email and got an answer back from him:
Did you write and send that email in myspace or is there any other possibility to write an email to Mike? Which ones did he answer?
I thought about thanking him for what he has done last Saturday because - as I said above - I was completely out of words in that moment and I don't want to be seen ingrateful in Mike's eyes.

I just wanna thank the guys for playing Wreath at the Glasgow gig. <3

But what I read here sounds awesome. Good on ya, Taran! Kudos also to the 'cock rock' bloke!

that show was so awesome.
I never thought I would do some moshing/dancing at Opeth, but some three people started it at the end of the Baying of the Hounds, and it was so fun..kept me warm though I was completely drenched and finally laid myself in the dirt because I stumbled.
so my clothes were dirty and wet after that show, well I was completely wet already before the show because of the hail and the rain. haha. on top of that my mobile phone was killed, too much water ^^

to Mikael: more talking next time ;) see you in december!

I sigh at people who do this.... blatent disrespect to Per imo :D

seriously.

Oh I usually do that, too. I.e. the crowd in the "Lamentations"-Gig was very annoying with its screamings while a song had been performed. And I really thought several seconds "Shall I do it? Not do it? Hmmm...." because it's indeed disrespecting of a song part. But it was so tempting...to see Mendez standing there, playing nothing and looking around. So I couldn't stop myself
:worship: :worship: :worship: I won't do it again :worship: :worship: :worship: :saint:

Gëist;7326149 said:
Oh. My. God.

Don't ever, ever wash your hand.

bart simpson style when the new girl spit on his hand. days later his hand was infested with dirt, band-aids, etc. classic