no Demon of the Falll in Latham?!?!

insipidzombie

New Metal Member
Mar 22, 2005
I dont know what the reason was behind it, but there was no encore, no Demon of the Fall in Latham, NY tonight. Same setlist they've been playing lately, with Face of Melinda, but just cut short.

The crowd wasn't that lively compared to the Worcester, MA show I was at on Sunday, but I feel they were responsive enough for an encore.

I also, however, don;t think it was about curfew or anything, since Opeth still would have been off stage well before midnight even if they played Demon. I did notice that Mikael didn't speak nearly as much as he did at the Worcester show. He cut short a lot of the song intros and the voice lesson and there was no drum demonstration or intro of the the keyboardist or replacement drummer. So maybe it was time constraint.

I have to say, as mellow as the crowd was, I liked the venue. First time at Saratoga Winners, but I thought the sound was pretty good, especially compared to the Worcester Palladium (basically my home away from home while I was in high school in MA). The venue was like a barn, with wooden interior.

OpethGuitarist said:
Fuck metalheads, im here for the music (NFU)

mellow = much better than a mosh pit of fucking idiots

well by mellow, i also meant that the crowd wasnt headbanging, singing, screaming enough, in addition to a puny pit.

that's too bad...
sometimes the "vibe" just ain't there, i guess.
could also be that mike and/or other members were feeling tired.
it happens.
i mean, there's a lot of travel and energy for a tour.
and i must say that boston-area audiences are really pretty great.

My friend called me after this show and told me pretty much the same thing. No encore, and the crowd didn't seem into it. Also he said that Opeth didn't seem too into the show either. I'm hoping for a better show tonight, I've never been disappointed with NYC crowd so I'm sure it won't be a problem.

There probably was no encore cause the crowd didn't deserve one. ( I posted about this show too, w/o having seen this thread yet)

^ as much as that seems like a negative notion... its porbably true... it was 1a.m when Opeth played demon at the Toronto show... by the sounds of it, that crowd was pretty lame.... did they at least cheer when the songs were done??? lol

Yeah, I was really suprised they didn't play demon of the fall. At least half the crowd was yelling for an encore. Oh well.

This is kind of surprising to me.

The surprising part is not that the crowd was/wasn't into the show or that the crowd deserved/didn't deserve an encore, but that Opeth could be accused of "not being into it" and not playing an encore because of that reason.

Opeth has always struck me as being a band with integrity and professionalism. Whether the crowd jumps on it's toes or not isn't reason not to perform an encore. If somebody in the band wasn't feeling well, I would believe something would have been said.

I remember seeing Enslaved with no more that 50 people in the venue. Regardless, they played their hearts out and thanked those of us who were there at the end of their evening. I would expect nothing less from Opeth. I wouldn't hold anything against Opeth (because they have totally changed my musical listening life), but if the reason they didn't play Demon of the Fall was for the simple fact they didn't believe the crowd deserved it would be very disappointing.

Until the real reason comes out, we can only guess why they didn't play the encore.

I was in the very front on the left side. Right in front of Peter. To me it seemed as though the people in the front were really into the show so I didn't understand why Mike kept asking if we were all shy. He seemed to have a good little back and forth going with people yelling things throughout the crowd even though there were a few loud hecklers.

My girlfriend was in the back towards the bar during most of the set and told me that it looked like people weren't really into it. :err:

IJohnnyDangerI said:
I was in the very front on the left side. Right in front of Peter.
I was just to the right of you, then. There was a much taller guy in front of me and I had to switch from looking left of him to see Peter and right of him to see Mikael. I had heard about them doing the Demon of the Fall encore, so I was one of the ones chanting. After the show, I even peeked over the front of the stage to scope out Peter's GT-6, which had all the songs on their setlist programmed into it and displayed on the text screen. It was on the Demon of the Fall setting.

I couldn't understand why they didn't come back out; the ones that were into the concert were very much into it. My best guess is it's a mix of them feeling the crowd wasn't worth it, and the fact that the show was the first of three nights in a row of shows for them.

But, I did get to meet Peter. We stayed there late and saw Mikael first walk from the tour bus to the stage and then back again later, but he didn't appear to be in the mood to talk to anyone, especially fans(we gave him the horns, but he just walked past). But when I saw Peter walk by, I yelled, "I love you, Peter!" to him and he came over to us. Since it was my first Opeth show, I managed to even get a hug from him. That made my life.

What do you mean, the crowd didn't deserve it? The crowd was fine. That's the lamest excuse I've ever heard. The crowd was definetly into it. No one left for 10 minutes after their set ended and there was cheering the whole time. Even after they turned the lights on and started unpacking everything, most people stayed in disbelief. There better have been a good reason. It better not have been "o well this is a small town and it won't matter if we don't come out"

Also those people screaming out fuck so and so, and so and so is gay. I really hope the band didn't think those were directed at them, it seemed like they did. idk

still a great performance. but short for opeth

IJohnnyDangerI said:
To me it seemed as though the people in the front were really into the show so I didn't understand why Mike kept asking if we were all shy.

Mikael also asked if the crowd in Worcester was shy, and that was an intense and lively crowd. So I think he just says that at every show, just to boost the response.

So I dunno. Mikael spoke a lot less and didn't work the crowd nearly as much. Could be for numerous reasons.... Some venue enforced time constraints, fatigue, crowd suckage, etc. I and the entire several first rows were just in awestruck confusion. Even when the tech was taking down the amps, we were still standing there, waiting for Demon. I just feel as though Opeth has probably seen a lamer crowd in their time, and still played the encore regardless, so something was probably the cause that we just dont know.

The sound at winners is always awful. I'm surprised Opeth sounded as good as they did last night.

Into Eternity and Nevermore got screwed.

Well the Montreal show was fucking intense...at the end of each song it yelled like if it was the end of the show. Mikeal talked ALOT, made alot of jokes, did all the signing and drum thing, even after demon, he thanked the fans again and again and said maybe two or three times in a row ; thank you so very much and we will be back very soon. They even came to the metalbar in montreal after to take a beer with the fans......and so you tell me that they acted like that at your show..must have been extreme fatigue.

Possibly the guess is that a lot of people were there for Nevermore...

Have any of you been on the Nevermore forums in the last two months? They all say crap like "Opeth sucks" and "I like a guitarist who masturbates as frequently as Jeff Loomis does..."(not really, but they're pretty harsh about Opeth).

lame that they didnt do the encore. last time they did it....

i guess they just didnt feel like it. i yelled bloodbath and "eaten!" after the first song..then mikael said yes but we arent bloodbath. ironically, they might as well be, him and the drummer
anyways i felt bad about that

I was on the left a little bit behind the speakers. From my pov, the crowd seemed to be pretty into it as well. People were def head banging and going nuts on the heavy riffs and heavy songs.

I was very surprised when they didnt do Demon at the end. Like most everyone else, I waited like 10 minutes till the drums were totally taken down to leave. I hope this doesnt mean they will not come back to this venue during their next tour.

On a different note: did anyone else meet the lead singer of Into Eternity? He was chillin at the merc stand and talking with fans. Also take the time to hit on the metal chicks around the merc stand. I chatted with him for a bit, seemed like a really cool metal guy. He even came into the crowd during The Grand Conjuration.