Opeth, Mastodon, & Ghost U.S. tour??

jem777az

Bozzman
Sep 23, 2007
Peoria, AZ
I know lots of folks on this forum would be happy if this turns out to be true. I'll only go after seeing what the Opeth setlist looks like because if it's the same as the last tour I'm out. And I don't care for Ghost or Mastodon. Should be interesting either way.

From Blabbermouth:

MASTODON and OPETH are rumored to be teaming up for a U.S. tour in April. Support on the trek will likely come from GHOST.

Believe it or not when I went to the PNW to see Opeth and October one of my friends heard from Fredrik that Opeth and Mastodon would be touring in April. Looks more promising now.

I imagine this is gonna hit the markets that the last Mastodon tour didn't hit. Which sucks because I HAVE TO SEE GHOST. Hopefully they'll do off-dates or Mastodon will do another Atlanta show.

I imagine this is gonna hit the markets that the last Mastodon tour didn't hit. Which sucks because I HAVE TO SEE GHOST. Hopefully they'll do off-dates or Mastodon will do another Atlanta show.

Yeah I hope this isn't a B-market tour but it might be since both Opeth and Mastodon did the A-markets on their last respective runs. But since this is a pretty big package who knows.

Yeah I figure it would be shorter. I'm more concerned about the selection of material though. Less new shit and a few more older heavier songs thrown in.

I agree. Their new shit is so bad...

I didn't enjoy Mastadon last time I saw them live, but I'd be willing to give them another chance if only to see Ghost live. :)

I agree. I also think that album was a one-off sort of deal. To me, it almost seemed like a tribute album to his influences (but obviously being all new songs) than anything else.

Åkerfeldt did say that it would seem like a longshot for the band to completely ditch its roots and sound like this forever, but Åkerfeldt says a LOT of things. He said Ghost Reveries was going to be a black metal record originally.

It wasn't that bad. It just seemed like more of a Steven Wilson type project than an Opeth album.

I don't know man. Steven's stuff, although I'm not always in the mood for it, is generally well written and easy to digest. Heritage to me was an hour + long wankathon. I enjoyed "The Devil's Orchard" thinking it would be the only song like that, but the whole record just seemed like pointless meandering with no sense of direction. I love 70's prog rock too, but even those bands wrote songs that made sense. I mean, even King Crimson's music had some kind of emotion. Red was never a robotic jam fiesta like this record was. At least, to my ears anyways. I seriously can't remember a single song off of Heritage besides "The Devil's Orchard" and I've listened to the record about 4-5 times.

Shucks guys. I like Heritage. I think it's got some pretty groovy tracks. And I like Opeth's soft side. Ergo, I enjoyed their show. But I agree with statements of "please don't let this be them forever"...mostly because Mikael has one of the best death metal growls ever anywhere.

And I'll just say this: goddammit I was hoping I could see this tour. I'm already traveling for a bunch of festivals this year, or I'd see about seeing this if it hits Chicago or something (8-hour drive...eek).