Opeth to tour with Dream Theater...

Apr 10, 2006
Pawtucket, RI
Swedish metallers OPETH will support DREAM THEATER on the prog-metal giants' next North American tour in April/May 2008. More details will be announced soon.

I'll likely be going if a date comes near me, if Opeth gets a reasonable time. I like DT but I prefer Opeth by miles.

Opeth and DT?? That's a crazy combo. hahaha One has death metal vocals and the other is very proggy.

...I'm confused. LOL

It's cool though. I'd go. Mainly for Opeth though.

It makes sense. DT is prog. Opeth is prog-death.

This is hilarious to me, 2 bands that absolutely put me to sleep. I dont have insomnia if there's a date near me, I might have to go just to cure that.

I will definitely see this. I skipped this last DT tour, but I've been meaning to catch Opeth for a while now. This will be a good opportunity, and I agree with those saying it should just be Opeth and DT. No need for another act.

Let's hope it's just Opeth and DT...and IMHO, let them co-headline. I think Opeth is at least as big in the US as DT is right now.

rms said:
This is hilarious to me, 2 bands that absolutely put me to sleep. I dont have insomnia if there's a date near me, I might have to go just to cure that.

For those playing the PPUSA Forum Drinking Game (2.0 rules), you can now take a sip of your favorite adult beverage! :kickass:

("Whenever rms posts a value-zero, negative comment dissing the subject of a thread, take one sip.")

Let's hope it's just Opeth and DT...and IMHO, let them co-headline. I think Opeth is at least as big in the US as DT is right now.

I'm not quite sure if Opeth are that big yet. Additionally, I have a feeling doing something like that would cause quite a few cries of outrage from the (very large) "DT is the best band in the world" portion of the Dream Theater fanbase.

I'm not quite sure if Opeth are that big yet.

Been to a Hot Topic lately? :heh:

Additionally, I have a feeling doing something like that would cause quite a few cries of outrage from the (very large) "DT is the best band in the world" portion of the Dream Theater fanbase.

TFB. When DT fans can't embrace another progressive band, a band that has redefined the metal genre, then IMO they have ceased to be prog fans, and can be disregarded. They don't have to like Opeth, but the DT fans I used to proudly associate with, the ones who helped forge the halcyon days of the Ytsejam Mailing List, would at least respect a ground-breaking band like Opeth.

thing is though, Opeth does have their fare share of "Opeth-is-the-best-metal-band-on-earth" fans, and those fans could be early-ticket buyers too. These shows might not just be die-hard DT fans. Not to mention there's quite a bit of crossover between the two fandoms.

Anyways, since I don't like Opeth I probably won't bother with this unless they have A) reasonable ticket prices B) play really close to me.

Let's hope it's just Opeth and DT...and IMHO, let them co-headline. I think Opeth is at least as big in the US as DT is right now.[/I]

I agree, just Opeth and DT would be enough for one kick ass night. :D It would be a shame if Opeth only got to play for 30 - 45 minutes or something because of local openers. :( Hopefully it will only be those two.

I'm not quite sure if Opeth are that big yet. Additionally, I have a feeling doing something like that would cause quite a few cries of outrage from the (very large) "DT is the best band in the world" portion of the Dream Theater fanbase.

Well if the reaction on the MP board is any indication of how the very large "DT is the best band in the world" fanbase is taking the news....it's going to be far from outrage. ;)

I would love to see this but Dream Theater does not come to Atlanta often.