Opeth, Mastodon, & Ghost U.S. tour??

Yes, I know. What's your point?

Obviously, you're not a golfer.

No problem, my friend, just saw an opportunity to quote Jeffery "The Dude" Lebowski. Love it or hate it, the one thing I truly respect Opeth for is that they don't pander to public pressure. You like it, great...you don't, so be it. They are in it for themselves, and isn't that why most musicians start bands anyway? The love of music that THEY LOVE TO PLAY.

Tour dates officially announced today. No AZ show, which makes my decision to go see it easier as I would only really go for Opeth. From Blabbermouth:

Grammy nominees MASTODON have announced that they will hit the road for a spring North American tour in support of their current album "The Hunter", which was released by Reprise Records in September. The tour kicks off on April 4 in Portland, Maine, and visits more than 30 cities in the U.S. and Canada before wrapping up with a hometown show at Atlanta's Masquerade Music Park on May 12. These shows will feature an amazing night of powerful music featuring a dream bill with Swedish metal band OPETH as co-headliners, with special guest GHOST providing support on all dates. Collectively MASTODON has stated: "We're excited to co-headline this tour with OPETH for whom we have great respect and admiration. Having GHOST along as well will make this tour a special event." Tickets go on sale February 3 and February 4. There will be a fan presale scheduled to begin at 3 p.m. local venue time on Wednesday, February 1 available only at MastodonRocks.com.

Tour dates as follows:

(M) Indicates MASTODON closes the show
(O) Indicates OPETH closes the show

Apr. 04 - Portland, ME - State Theater (M)
Apr. 05 - Boston, MA - Orpheum Theater (O)
Apr. 06 - Montreal, QC - Metropolis (O)
Apr. 07 - Toronto, ON - Sony Centre (O)
Apr. 09 - Philadelphia, PA - Electric Factory(M)
Apr. 10 - Wallingford, CT - The Dome (M)
Apr. 11 - New York, NY - Roseland Ballroom (M)
Apr. 13 - Chicago, IL - Riviera Theatre(M)
Apr. 14 - Grand Rapids, MI - The Intersection (M)
Apr. 15 - Pittsburgh, PA - Stage AE (M)
Apr. 16 - Knoxville, TN - TN Theater (O)
Apr. 18 - Oklahoma City, OK - Diamond Ballroom (M)
Apr. 19 - Dallas, TX - Palladium Ballroom (O)
Apr. 20 - San Antonio, TX - Back Stage Live (O)
Apr. 21 - Corpus Christi, TX - Concrete Street (O)
Apr. 23 - Denver, CO - Fillmore Auditorium (O)
Apr. 25 - Las Vegas, NV - House of Blues (M)
Apr. 26 - Los Angeles, CA - Gibson Amphitheatre (O)
Apr. 27 - Oakland, CA - Fox Theatre (O)
Apr. 28 - Reno, NV - Grand Sierra Resort (M)
Apr. 30 - Seattle, WA - The Paramount (O)
May 01 - Vancouver, BC - Orpheum Theatre (O)
May 03 - Edmonton, AB - Edmonton Events Center (O)
May 04 - Calgary, AB - MacEwan Hall (M)
May 05 - Saskatoon, SK - The Odeon (O)
May 06 - Winnipeg, MB - Burton Cummings Theatre (O)
May 09 - Washington, DC - The Fillmore (O)
May 10 - Charlotte, NC - The Fillmore (M)
May 11 - Myrtle Beach, SC - House of Blues (M)
May 12 - Atlanta, GA - Masquerade Music Park (M)

dang....talk about crap luck.

The Chicago show is the same night as In Solitude / Devils Blood / Behemoth. but the Ghost / Opeth show is right across the street from my apartment. Figures. I will see In Solitude I think though.......damn!

dang....talk about crap luck.

The Chicago show is the same night as In Solitude / Devils Blood / Behemoth. but the Ghost / Opeth show is right across the street from my apartment. Figures. I will see In Solitude I think though.......damn!

No, we are going to OPETH / GHOST. Luckily for Chicago MASTODON are headlining. Sorry to their fans, but I can not get into this band at all. I have seen them twice and both times were a major chore to get through. Its been a very long time since I have last seen OPETH, so with GHOST, and being so close to Bob's apartment will make for a splendid evening.

Hey Diabolik, dont listen to your real-life good friend Jasonic, listen ME instead, a total stranger from the internet! :p You are making the right choice by going to In Solitude / Devil's Blood. Stick to your guns man!

^seriously. I think the Meshuggah-Decapitated-baroness U.S. tour that was just announced is also running in May. Crowded month. For me, Ragnarokkr is the center piece.

The wife and I will be seeing this tour April 20th... Have already seen the Heritage tour... Mainly going for Ghost and the fact that I can get into the facility with my DSLR with no hassles... Plus, I'll be seeing Sabaton 5 days earlier at the same venue... That'll be a good week :kickass:

Alright, who can figure out the secret formula that explains how they chose who plays last at each show? It's certainly not every-other-night, which is how most co-headliner tours go. It seems like the tour is a mix of primary and secondary markets, so maybe it has something to do with who was a headliner there last? (though in Chicago, both bands were here within two weeks of each other just 3 months ago, so I'm not even sure why it's coming here!) Maybe it's based on who has better sales in that city?

Alright, who can figure out the secret formula that explains how they chose who plays last at each show? It's certainly not every-other-night, which is how most co-headliner tours go. It seems like the tour is a mix of primary and secondary markets, so maybe it has something to do with who was a headliner there last? (though in Chicago, both bands were here within two weeks of each other just 3 months ago, so I'm not even sure why it's coming here!) Maybe it's based on who has better sales in that city?

I heard a coin toss, but other sites said Rock, paper, Scissors

Shucks guys. I like Heritage. I think it's got some pretty groovy tracks. And I like Opeth's soft side. Ergo, I enjoyed their show. But I agree with statements of "please don't let this be them forever"...mostly because Mikael has one of the best death metal growls ever anywhere.

William, I enjoyed it as well. Very different; however, it isn't something I want them to continue doing. For one album though? I dug it quite a bit.

Looking foward to seeing Opeth again in Atlanta. I love the new album. My only wish would be the production was more like the two previous albums, but I love the more melodic approach. Not a Mastodon fan, but looking forward to Ghost, the bastard child of King Diamond and Merciful Fate!

It's a combination of the general plotted itinerary for the package and promoter interest.