Opeth & Moonspell - 2004/2/27 - BitTorrent

Mark... to me it seems you are trying to support your views by letting everyone suffer because of one person, thats kind of like what my Teachers did in early primary school. 'Tis isn't very nice, all the posts I have seen by you have been extremely aggressive, for example when someone was sharing that Philly dvd (?) in DC, people weren't ignorant, they just didn't understand, nor do I at the moment' and I am trying to. You really need to cool down

Sweet, I missed Moonspell when when i saw the guys at the Hob in Chicago last month, i was really dissapointed, i only caught the last song but it was great. Definitely looking forward to hearing their set.

Mark - I was gonna thank you for sharing your recording, but you've apparently changed your mind. Why did you remove the link? Just because one guy gave you shit, it doesn't mean everyone else should suffer!

I d/loaded your boot. I'm listening to it and it sounds a bit odd, like all the bass is cut out. Like it was put through a filter. Any ideas why? I also have gloco's recording and it has a lot more "natural" sound.

-GK

Hey Markgugs, you do realize that you come across as the whiny bitch when you remove your link just because someone questioned your "recording ethics"... right?

I mean, what the fuck? It's not like Neil even verbally attacked you... He presented a clearly logical argument against your bootlegging process, and all you and Jeffbr can do is call him a tiny punk ass? Yeah, Neil is obviously the one who likes to "talk like such a big man".

Really... take a look at yourself and how you come across. Just stop a think about what you're saying. Nobody likes an ass hole.

Man, this is so silly. Arguing over a live recording? C'mon. You can take 4 sources from the same show and compare and yes, they will sound different. Location, source, mics and anything in the middle of the chain (like a battery module, preamp, mixer, etc etc) can affect a recording. Do i expect a pat on the back? Nah, i don't do it for pride or ego, i do it because its a hobby i enjoy, that's why i invested in a minidisc recorder, dat recorder, mics, two battery modules and boxes of blank dat tapes. I get a kick out of hearing how a recording of mine sounds. It's all trial and error for me.

As for Minidisc, well, the format uses compression for recording practices, so i personally don't look up to MD as the best medium (it's a matter of convenience), especially a recorder that uses a older version of Atrac (like Mark's R37 model), such as 4.0 (url: http://www.minidisc.org/part_Sony_MZ-R37.html), which did hack off some bass and treble, Atrac 4.5 sounds quite stellar however as does Type R. Dat, on the other hand, is lossless, like a wav file. So the recorder isn't limiting sound quality at all, but there's a price to pay for it. I personally have used a Sharp DR-7 minidisc recorder (type R) with great results but found the damned unit to be finicky (abruptly turning off if jostled, etc etc).

As for fiddling with audio after the fact, no, the only thing i ever do is raise the db if needed in Adobe audition, i don't believe in fiddling with any frequencies, like lowering midbass or rasing upper frequencies. Am i some sort of nutty audiophile? Not really, but i don't like fudging around with a recording because it can always give a distorted opinion on the gear i use.

Guys, put your pride aside and enjoy the fact that you can jump on a computer and download a recording someone made several hundred or thousands of miles away from where you live.

First Blood said:
Hey Markgugs, you do realize that you come across as the whiny bitch when you remove your link just because someone questioned your "recording ethics"... right?

I mean, what the fuck? It's not like Neil even verbally attacked you... He presented a clearly logical argument against your bootlegging process, and all you and Jeffbr can do is call him a tiny punk ass? Yeah, Neil is obviously the one who likes to "talk like such a big man".

Really... take a look at yourself and how you come across. Just stop a think about what you're saying. Nobody likes an ass hole.

Hey genius, check again. STG's entire website was down for maintenance. It's back up, and so is Mark's link. But nice try. I'm sure that made for a much more dramatic story in your mind.

Jeff, asshole there is referring to my editing of the first post in the thread to remove the link and info regarding the show.

While I'll be the first to admit it was done in drunkenness and out of haste when I shamefully allowed myself to be baited by an obnoxious 22-year-old, in retrospect, offering ANYTHING of any kind to 99% of these fans was a dumb move in the first place.

I certainly won't make that mistake again.

And for the record bud, I appreciate the sentiments you've posted in my defense here. It'll be remembered. ;)

The rest of you can honestly fuck off. I could care less what you think of either me or bootlegging in general.

GabrielKnight said:
Mark - I was gonna thank you for sharing your recording, but you've apparently changed your mind. Why did you remove the link? Just because one guy gave you shit, it doesn't mean everyone else should suffer!

I d/loaded your boot. I'm listening to it and it sounds a bit odd, like all the bass is cut out. Like it was put through a filter. Any ideas why? I also have gloco's recording and it has a lot more "natural" sound.

-GK
GK, it's the mic I have that unfortunately doesn't capture the lower ranges well. Nothing really I can do about (or wish to artificially). I was unemployed suddenly this year, and have been using borrowed equipment, so the old adage "beggars can't be choosers" applies.

An adage that more than one little shit on this site ought to take to heart.

I have just gotten a new job, and a killer tax return, so I'm upgrading to a brand new Sony DAT player + some tasty cardioid mics; future recordings will be significantly improved. Not that anyone here will know about that, though.

markgugs said:
GK, it's the mic I have that unfortunately doesn't capture the lower ranges well. Nothing really I can do about (or wish to artificially). I was unemployed suddenly this year, and have been using borrowed equipment, so the old adage "beggars can't be choosers" applies.

An adage that more than one little shit on this site ought to take to heart.

I have just gotten a new job, and a killer tax return, so I'm upgrading to a brand new Sony DAT player + some tasty cardioid mics; future recordings will be significantly improved. Not that anyone here will know about that, though.

:)

Go with an M1 if you can afford it, it rules...and do make sure to buy a deck for transfers. :headbang:

I actually spoke to a number of tapers, including one last night, and he expressed a great deal of dissatisfaction with the new M1. Said there were a considerable amount of problems with the first run of them, etc. He said that the price I can get a brand-new D8 for right now is a steal and I should jump at it. They're near-identical in size, so...

As for the transfer deck...I said I got a killer return, not won the lottery :)

My buddy has a Tascam and will be handling all digital transfers for me. No worries for now. :headbang:

Who the fuck knows! Perhaps he was guessing you imbecile. Seeing as how whomever it was at the show and not sitting in front of a computer in his parent's house looking shit up on the internet.

markgugs said:
Understandable, and - shit happens!

markgugs said:
Sounds promising! But if you no longer wish to share your recordings... that kinda sux.

markgugs said:
The rest of you can honestly fuck off.
You shouldn't be generalizing like that. Just because 1 or 2 pple gave you shit, it doesn't mean that everyone here is an asshole, and I'm being told to fuck off, too, even though I have nothing to do with that discussion! Sometimes you need to hold your temper, and instead of getting into arguments with everyone who disagrees with you, ignore them. The end result - nobody wins.

As far as sharing you recordings on this forum - well that's your decision, but I hope you reconsider ;)

-GK