Opeth MTV unplugged...!!!...u think that can happen....??

worldwide_suicide said:
there is nothing wrong with opeth being on mtv. it's just that opeth wouldn't have the freedom to do an acoustic show as they deserve it. First, there is a time limit for tv shows, then also i don't think mtv would be very supportive of their song choices.
Doing it by themselves would give them much more freedom to play an acoustic show the way they want. That's what i meant.

I dont think there would be restrictions on song choices? Opeth doesnt use bad language or whatever, also its an acoustic set so how heavy could it really get?
Im sure they would be able to do an adequete set, it would just be a matter of how much of it would make it onto the air...

lets face it.. it's MTV, we would be kidding ourselves if we thought they would allow opeth to play "when" or any other LONG HEAVY song... even as acustic... it's just not reliable by any measure to a corporation like mtv.

worldwide_suicide said:
lets face it.. it's MTV, we would be kidding ourselves if we thought they would allow opeth to play "when" or any other LONG HEAVY song... even as acustic... it's just not reliable by any measure to a corporation like mtv.

errr its an acoustic set.. Why would they play when? The song would be lost because its the transition beween light and heavy that makes the song..
The set list could be something like:-

Benighted
Closure
Windowpayne
To bid you farewell
Harvest
To Rid the diesease
Isolation years
Credence
In my time of need
Hope leaves
Death Whispered a lullaby
ending credits

yeah, but the dynamics would be next to none. those are all songs that are already half acustic or would sound basically the same on acustic instruments.

The interesting part of an acustic show is to see how a "heavy" or electric song would sound with different set of instruments... i agree, no growling cuz that would be ridiculous, but still an acustic version of "when" with improvised clean vocals would be much more exciting than a common unchallenging version of "harvest", imo

euh .. why does it have to be on MTV ...

but the unplugged thing is a bit over isn't it .. I mean there was this period when every band sooner or later did an album or show "unplugged", but now not so much anymore. and besides: it's fucking metal :p why would you even want face of melinda or a fair judgement or any other song without the heavy guitars coming in and completing the song ...?
can't imagine it would be any good, or interesting.

There would be too much red tape for Opeth to truly make it on something like MTV. For one, songs/videos have to be a certain length (or not go over a certain length), so imagine the editting and/or "suggestions" that MTV would make. Look at Ghost Reveries, for example. Even though it wasn't the best song to make a debut video out of (in respect to Opeth's capability), the song was literally cut in half. The same shit would happen with an Unplugged session. Opeth's music doesn't follow the same shitty, redundant soundscape that bands like Nirvana do, so I think it wouldn't work.

An Unplugged session, minus the MTV, and plus the creative freedom, would be incredible. The thought of hearing an acoustic "Demon of the Fall" chills my blood.

I honestly think that Opeth on MTV would not be good because there music is not TV/Radio friendly EXCEPT the acoustic, clean vocal stuff and that is definitly outnumbered by the death vocal, heavy stuff, which they are most known for. So, I think that they would lose some of their long-time hardcore fan-base and be viewed as "traitors" by them and anyother fans of the band.

Its not a real good idea as they wont be able to play eny of their good (heavy) songs, it would be like damnation and all the other clean songs, which are cool at times, but a whole gig of them, not thankyou.

If its about exposure its not a good idea, expose audiences to the heavy opeth as well as the soft opeth

What's the problem? Going on MTV won't make them any worse, and it would certainly make MTV better, and I know you'd all love to see it. Stop being so gay

Well Opeth already made it to MTV2 and even on MTV I've heard a sample from Windowpane used in one of the programs :lol: so who knows...

i honestly didnt think they still did Unplugged on MTV, but i guess they do if someone said something about the Lincoln Park/Jay-Z thing cause that wasnt too long ago was it? anyways only Unplugged i have is Clapton and Neil Young both are good....someone said the Alice in Chains unplugged is awesome anyone seen it?

neilyoungfan said:
i honestly didnt think they still did Unplugged on MTV, but i guess they do if someone said something about the Lincoln Park/Jay-Z thing cause that wasnt too long ago was it? anyways only Unplugged i have is Clapton and Neil Young both are good....someone said the Alice in Chains unplugged is awesome anyone seen it?

yup, very good one

I also like the legendary Nirvana Unplugged concert - many claim it's overrated but I have a sentiment for that one since it was the reason I picked up guitar in the first place...