Opeth - Orchid

~I really tried to get into Opeth. I thought their Morningrise album was brilliant, and filled with great melodies. Every other Opeth album that I've heard has sounded very abstract with more modern black metal and progressive jazz influences. Maybe they are great musicians, but I can't in good conscience sit and listen to an Opeth album when I have My Dying Bride on the shelf.

I've actually started moving away from Orchid. It has about thier best collection of riffing and dual harmonies....but the songs don't gel. They're not as coherent as the albums that followed. You could easily chop and change around peices of the Orchid songs..

Orchid is good, my fav opeth would be Morningrise and My arms your hearse, although you cant really go wrong with any opeth.

SunlapseVertigo said:
Orchid is my 2nd favorite (after BWP) and as good as Morningrise is, to me it kinda seems like a watered down Orchid.

So true - Morningrise was a completely unnecessary album for Opeth, it achieved nothing new, Orchid should have been one of a kind. Silhouette- have you ever heard anything as extraordinary on any metal CD? Besides that, Orchid is simply better.