SpeakUSAorDie

Milano Mosher
Sep 5, 2001
MegadetH ArizonA
"For Absent Friends Tour" Opeth, Paradise Lost, Tapping The Vein
Mason Jar, Phoenix Arizona 02/02/03

FUCK YEAH! OPETH LIVE!!
fcad87ca.jpg

Damn this night rocked. This show was even better than the one in 2001 with Nevermore.
fcad87d4.jpg

More jammin', I believe this was Advent.. aww hell I dont know. Im just trying to paint a picture for you guys.
fcad87cc.jpg

Mikael telling the crowd he's going to play Serenity Painted Death for us
fcad8587.jpg

Martin feeling the music during "A Fair Judgement", and yep I caught Peter lookin pretty.(Sorry, Im not gay, but that Peter is one handsome man.)
fcad87d0.jpg

Peter trying not to look so pretty
fcad87da.jpg

Mikael reminds me of a young Hetfield in this picture
fcad87d3.jpg

I suck at reviews, but I will say this. Ive never felt so much emotion and feeling comming from a drummer than from Marin Lopez. And with Opeth's music that can be even more overwhelming. That whole night was magical, not to sound queer, but it really was. I feel very privileged to have been at this show. Opeth's performance couldnt have been any better.

setlist: (accurate and in order)

The Leper Affinity
Advent
Deliverance
Drapery Falls
Serentity Painted Death
Credence
Bleak
A Fair Judgement
Demon Of The Fall

Thanks for the post SpeakUSAorDie. This is getting me fired up to see them in April. The room you where in at the Arizona show must of been small...it seems as if the fans are almost on top of the band according to those pics.

ahh...can't wait for April.

Originally posted by flip`
Ohh nice pics... wheres the crowd???

Just one question does Deliverance really go off?? esp the end?

The crowd definately was there. I just got up real close up front. Also I cropped my pics so not to have so many heads in them. Believe me, that place was packed. There were probably over 300 people, packed into a very small place.

And yep, Deliverance is just like it is on album, just the super double bass parts sounded a bit fuzzy(probably just a speaker problem, I only noticed it during those parts in the entire show), but still had the exact beat.

Good to see they are playing different tracks off Still life.. when I saw them they played Godhead's lamnent, now Serentity Painted Death, nice.

we have some pics also, when my friend gets them up I will post a link, there was over 400 people I believe and the capacity was 200 to the Mason Jar

Originally posted by SpeakUSAorDie
The crowd definately was there. I just got up real close up front. Also I cropped my pics so not to have so many heads in them. Believe me, that place was packed. There were probably over 300 people, packed into a very small place.

And yep, Deliverance is just like it is on album, just the super double bass parts sounded a bit fuzzy(probably just a speaker problem, I only noticed it during those parts in the entire show), but still had the exact beat.

Orright that good :)

Those are really good pics. Its like closing your eyes and you can still see everything that happened that nite.

Btw, did you get my PM, SpeakUSAorDie?

Ugg...It sucks so much that I missed the show.

I went in '01 at the Mason Jar in Phoenix, and we were waiting outside for a few hours, just hanging out, when the tour manager came up to us and asked for a ride to the laundry to wash the badn's clothes. We drove him there and back, pestering him with question along the way. When we got back, the Opeth guys were standing outside, so we got pictures and autographs, and were happy that we even had those.

Then, the tour manager was arguing with someone about calling a cab. When the cab came, they said that they were going to charge about $200 to take the band, and a few other people to Nevermore's hotel. I went up to the tour manager, and asked if they needed a ride, and he said "Sure".

So...the two Martin's got in the car, and we drove them to the hotel (after a beer stop), where we swam with them, and pestered them with questions for an hour or so (did you know that Peter has his Doctorate in Physics?) before getting them back in time for the show. They were very cool, though, and probably asked us more question then we did them. The terrible part was that my car kept stalling at every red light on the way back, but the passenger's just laughed about it.

When we got back, they thanked us and everything and then, in the show, dedicated The Drapery Falls to "the drivers".

didnt you already post this exact same thread at the pantera board?

deja vu